The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 24, 1999, 10:59 PM   #1
Good Guy

I'm in the market for some new hearing protection. Particularly interested in the electronic varieties. Any advice or suggestions? What about the electronic types that fit in your ear like a hearing aid? Any good? Thanks

------------------
Just one of the Good Guys
Old October 24, 1999, 11:43 PM   #2
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

From what I've heard (pun intended), muffs protect the mastoid from sound and therefore are preferable to any "in-ear" device.

The best I've heard of is Peltor.

You might do a search on Peltor - we had a long thread some months ago that discussed many different brands.

Also, you might get a more thorough response in the Gear and Accessories forum.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited October 25, 1999).]
Old October 25, 1999, 01:01 AM   #3
Rosco P. Coltrain

I can't hear you guys, I have my ear muffs on.
Old October 27, 1999, 02:15 AM   #4
Arnistador

In my experience, the very best in electronic hearing protection is Pro-Ears. They use Dynamic Sound Compression that eliminates the annoying clipping you'll get in Peltors, Silencios, etc., They are a little more expensive, but worth it.

Check them out at www.pro-ears.com (I am not a distributor or otherwise affiliated with ProEars or Ridgeline.)

Tim http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment

[This message has been edited by Arnistador (edited October 27, 1999).]
Old November 1, 1999, 10:30 PM   #5
EQUALIZER

Hi Tim,

I know that Pro-Ears advertises what you stated, but I have never noticed a "clip" in my Peltor Tacticle 6. They don't actually shut off, but rather instantly cut down to a safe, yet slightly amplified sound. I compare these to the way a human ear that is taking in loud conversation at a range can hear, but as shots go off in the background, the conversation is faint yet still audible. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by this. I called the ProEar company and asked about this and they could not give a clear answer to the difference between the two companies electronic muffs. I respect your opinions and was wondering if you could explain it to me/us.

PS: To test the tacticle 6, I turned the TV on and dry fired and clapped my hands while trying to listen to the TV. I repeated the test w/the muffs turned off. The TV sound was almost inaudible at this mode. I repeated w/no muffs. TV audible but perceived volume seemed to change instantly as I claped and dry fired. I DO have a hearing problem which might have flavored the results.

Q: Could you guys who have electronic muffs try this test and report here/hear?

]Thanks,
Robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)
Old November 2, 1999, 06:13 PM   #6
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

I have two Peltor muffs, the Tac-6, and-uh- whatever the slightly smaller, foldable version is.

Tac-6: comfortable, single 9-volt.
Other: doesn't get in the way of longarms. Uses AA batteries.

Robert, I love these, but there is a clicking one can notice, when the muffs are testing to see if the db level is safe to elevate hearing again.

------------------
"Faith without works is dead."
-Paul

"By their fruits ye shall know them."
-attributed to Jesus
Old November 2, 1999, 07:20 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Robert, Having tried both Peltor and Pro-Ears, I notice a significant difference in the way they work. I did a test similar to the one you described, I banged a hammer on a flat piece of wood which made a very loud slap and the TV was on at the time for a reference. The Peltor shut down the loud sound but also the TV sound for a short period of time. The Pro-Ears eliminated the loud sound but the TV sound was not affected. It was a strange sensation, as if everything was normal but you knew there was a lot of sound from the board that you couldn't hear. Bottom line, I bought the Pro-Ears, Magnum model.
Old November 2, 1999, 07:50 PM   #8
Arnistador

EQUALIZER,

The Peltor Tactical 6 is a perfectly good unit, and will serve you well. I have experienced the clipping described here, but it is really nothing more than an annoyance than anything else. My point is that if I am going to spend a significant amount of money (as compared to passive hearing protection), I am going to buy the best technology available for the money. ProEars cost a little more, but they have served me well.

Also, run time on the ProEars is minimum 250 hours continuous on a new set of batteries, at least 50 hours better than Peltor's Tactical 6 and over a hundred hours better than the Tactical 7.

I hope this helps.

Tim
Old November 2, 1999, 08:20 PM   #9
Giz

esp, esP, eSP, ESP!

I have used esp exclusively for the last 2 years on the sporting clays course. They are very comfortable and they work quite well. The key to success is to keep them clean. Jack is very easy to deal with.

I know, it's only a shotgun. Wrong, almost every shotgun on the range these days is ported. Stand beside a ported 12 gauge with marginal hearing protection and you will feel the pain.

I wholehearted endorse esp. They are expensive, but for the comfort and quality, there worth every penny.

I've tried the various electronic "muffs", and they all get in the way of mounting a shotgun or rifle.

By the way I shoot 15,000 to 18,000 shotshells per year and have no problem investing in whatever product works best. For my money it's esp.

Giz
Old November 2, 1999, 08:22 PM   #10
EQUALIZER

It does help Tim.

I can see why you chose that brand. I considered that battery problem when I got my pair. Went out and bought a big set of rechargables at discount at Big Lots. They normally hold up for a few months before I decide to replace them. Don't know how many hours, but w/charger I always have a fresh set available for those and my xenon flashlights. At $1.50ea you can get them once/year at the right time if you have a Big Lots store in your area.

One thing that I like about your ProEars that I like about the Tact.6 is that they are thin enough for shoulder arms. I've noticed that most muffs come in contact w/the cheek plate on shotguns and rifles. There thin design realy helps and is great for hunting.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)
Old November 2, 1999, 08:41 PM   #11
EQUALIZER

Spectre,

Just saw your post and I stand corrected. I think that I got the Tacticle 6 & 7 confussed. I was thinking that the 6 was the compact model. Thanks for the clarification.
As for the "clicking". I noticed that too on my first pair from MidWay. In addition there was a slight "buzzing" sound when at certain levels of continual external sounds. I also found the volume level to be too low for my liking. Sent the pair back w/letter of explanation. They replaced them w/a new pair that didn't have the noises and amplified better. No problems since. I contacted the company about this too. They told me that a certain lot was produced with a defect and they corrected it. The Peltor company also sent me an extra pair of thicker foam cushions that make the muffs that much more comfortable for extended wear.

Giz,
Do you know who is a distributer for ESP? I always use plugs w/the muffs turned up at the range. It does cut down on the blast.

I agree with you guys that don't believe cost to be a factor. I believe that hearing protection is some of the best safety equiptment a man can invest in. I just wish that I held this view when I was a teenager blowing away my hearing w/my music, and with certain work around machinery.

------------------
Old November 2, 1999, 11:03 PM   #12
Giz

Call 1-800-767-7791 or www.ESPAmerica.com. I warn you, they are expensive, but I wouldn't shoot without them.

Giz
Old November 3, 1999, 02:19 PM   #13
jon3

I also have Pro-Ears. After using them, I wouldn't waste money on anything else.

-Jon

------------------
9x19x(15+1) = Glock19, the Best.
Old November 4, 1999, 02:13 PM   #14
bobo

I have the Peltor 7 ( large size ) and the 6
for rifle shooting . I have had the 7 for a long time and have sent it back to Peltor
for refit twice. The first time there was no
charge and the second time it cost me $75.00
for a new amplifier. They probabl need to go
back again soon. I tried the Pro Ears while
at the range. They do have a better warranty
but I was mildly impressed. I guess we've
come a long way from they days when you
were considered a "sissy" when you wore them.
"Whats that you say? I can't hear you"
Old November 5, 1999, 09:54 PM   #15
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Robert,

My apologies, I was confused. The Tac-6 is the smaller set, the 7 the larger.

http://home.ipoline.com/~precspt/elect.htm

Tac-6 (preferred by me for longarm use)

Old November 10, 1999, 10:05 AM   #16
Good Guy

Thanks for the information guys. The ESP's are on Santa's list.

------------------
Just one of the Good Guys
Old November 11, 1999, 04:56 PM   #17
EQUALIZER

Thanks for the link Spectre. From the details that it gives, the Peltor Tact. 7 has the same, (or maybe just similar) feature as the ProEars. It seems as if my compact ones do too, to a degree. The ones that had to be replaced weren't as good as the new pair MidWay sent me. Since I bought mine, it looks like they added a new feature. A jack to add a CD player or radio.

Good Guy,

Check out Spectre's link and call the company to ask them about the difference. Maybe they have the same electronics as the Pro Ears now...????

------------------
Old November 12, 1999, 09:37 PM   #18
JerryM

Doesn't the Pro Ears use an N battery? Is this battery expensive? I was looking in a catalog and seem to remember that. I wanted to wait until I determined if the battery cost was much higher with the Pro Ears.
Thanks, Jerry
Old November 12, 1999, 11:08 PM   #19
Mal H
Staff

Jerry, Yes the Pro-Ears use 2 N batteries each side, total of 4. I have found them at K-Mart for slightly less than a 9V battery, but you need twice as many. However, I have never had one run down yet. I even found that I had left the 'Ears on for a weekend and they were still going strong on Monday. Bottom line is, the batteries are not expensive enough to let them be a gating factor.
Old November 13, 1999, 02:41 AM   #20
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Should this be in the Gear section?

Methinks so...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old November 13, 1999, 11:29 AM   #21
Rich Lucibella
Staff

George-
Done.

Thread moved from General Forum. Thanks, Dennis.
Rich
Old December 3, 1999, 06:35 AM   #22
Alex T

And which off all them is suitable for shootinf riles w. scopes?
Old December 3, 1999, 06:35 AM   #23
Alex T

And which off all them is suitable for shooting riles w. scopes?
Old December 3, 1999, 01:03 PM   #24
Jhp147

Next question-Dillon has a new pair out that are about 50 bucks cheaper than the Peltors in their catalog. I talked to a Dillon rep,he said they could sell them cheaper because they have them made for themselves, and don't have to pay as much as Peltor asks, and said they were every bit as good. Anybody wanna lend me a hand before I pop for a pair
Thanks for advice.
Old December 3, 1999, 01:04 PM   #25
Jhp147

Next question-Dillon has a new pair out that are about 50 bucks cheaper than the Peltors in their catalog. I talked to a Dillon rep,he said they could sell them cheaper because they have them made for themselves, and don't have to pay as much as Peltor asks, and said they were every bit as good. Anybody wanna lend me a hand before I pop for a pair?
Thanks for advice.