The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2008, 10:33 PM   #1
nobody_special

Imperfect lube on cast bullets... okay?

I just received some 200 gr. RNFP .45ACP cast bullets. The boxes (outer, and at least 2 of the 4 inner boxes) had broken open in shipping and been re-packaged by the postal service... I imagine that was unpleasant for someone. Anyway, this will be my first attempt at loading bullets that aren't plated or jacketed.

Anyway, my question is regarding the lubricant in the groove around the bullet. For most of the bullets, the groove is filled with waxy lube all the way around. A substantial fraction has lube filling only part of the groove (usually more than half, but not always). A very few have little to no lube present in the groove.

Is this something I should be concerned about?
Old February 12, 2008, 12:13 AM   #2
Grandpa Shooter

If they were broken open by the Post Office, I would not have accepted them. Now that you have, you will likely want to order some bullet lube and fill in the lube rings. Lead bullets need all the help they can get.
Old February 12, 2008, 12:40 AM   #3
TexasSeaRay

I'd be more concerned about who you ordered them from to have such inconsistent lubing--especially this time of the year when hot days is not an excuse.

Grandpa is right, though. I'd go ahead and lube them since they already have one strike against them.

In all the years I've ordered and bought cast bullets, I've only had a couple of suppliers/casters send me bullets that weren't lubed properly. The first time, I shot them. The second time (different supplier/caster), I sent them back for a refund.

I learned my lesson after the first time.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old February 12, 2008, 02:28 AM   #4
nobody_special

Quote:
If they were broken open by the Post Office, I would not have accepted them.
They were delivered while I was at work.

I'll re-lube the ones that have problems... and I'm informing the supplier that I'm not happy.

I measured the weights and diameters of a few... and at least they appear to be highly consistent. Weights ranged from 205.4 to 206.1 gr. (from 5 measured, and 4 of 5 were within about 0.3 gr. spread), but they appear slightly undersized at .4505. Hmm...

Last edited by nobody_special; February 12, 2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old February 12, 2008, 05:22 PM   #5
MASTERCAST.COM

Damaged Shipment, Bullet Lube Issue

nobody special,

When a shipper damages a box to the point that they have to repackage it, it is almost always because someone dropped it from a pretty good height, the box failed, and if you look closely, you will probably find a lot of bullets with dented bases from that impact. Combine damaged bullets, .4505" sizing diameter, and bullet lube knocked out of the lube groove on some of the bullets(also probably from being dropped), you stand little chance of accuracy with those. They need to be sized at least .451" to shoot with reasonable accuracy.... .452" will usually shoot best.

If I were you, I would contact the person you bought those from for a replacement or refund. I would also ask that they be sized at least .451" for any hope of accuracy.

I was wondering if you got those bullets from me until you said they were sized .4505".....all of mine are .452" so it obvious that you did not. If you had bought those from me, I would absolutely insist on replacing them and I would file an insurance claim with USPS.

I have had to file insurance claims on very few of those flat rate boxes that were damaged in shipment....most of my insurance claims have been for boxes that "disappeared" once received by the post office... never reached their destination(confirmed by USPS tracking numbers)and were never located or seen again. I guess it is remotely possible that "ALIENS" are abducting cast bullets now instead of people.
Old February 12, 2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Grandpa Shooter

Just peeking in here and see that Mike (mastercastbullets.com) is on the air.

Hey Mike, we are trying to pitch yur bullets as best we can. Trying to see if we can get you loaded up to where you need a partner!
Old February 12, 2008, 06:39 PM   #7
nobody_special

Mastercast -- thanks... and I will be submitting an order to you for 9mm and .45ACP as soon as I straighten out my finances (wife needs dental work, so... ).

My wife and I sorted through all these bullets last night; I didn't notice any damage. I will look again. The vendor says they should be .451" - I will verify the size with a micrometer tonight; my quick check yesterday was done with calipers which are only good to about .5 thou anyway.
Old February 16, 2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Black wallnut

Lube groves do not need to be completely filled for proper lubrication. Especially in a .45acp. I would be far more concerned with the size of the bullet than how much lube is missing.
Old February 17, 2008, 12:21 AM   #9
velocette

An easy way to re-lube the bullets is to use the Lee Tumble Lube. Its a bit messy and will slowly foul your seating die but it is very effective as a bullet lube.
I used to get bore leading with any & all of the commercial cast bullets that use the hard lube. Now I buy the standard commercial bullets and put a thin coat of Tumble Lube on them and presto, no more bore leading. (this is in addition to the hard lube already on the bullets)

Roger