The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2008, 11:37 AM   #51
TexasSeaRay

Freakshow,

You're definitely my kinda Yankee redneck. Sure wish there were a lot more like you down here.

Great setup all the way around.

Where do you find your (raw/source) lead? I've got a couple of good sources, but haven't cracked the thousand-pound stash mark yet. However, only started scrounging a month or so ago. . .

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old February 13, 2008, 11:58 AM   #52
WSM MAGNUM

Freakshow, I noticed the cue ball on your Rockchucker. Adds a nice touch. Where did you get it? If you made it, how did you drill and tap it?

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old February 13, 2008, 12:08 PM   #53
Sevens

Hey, that's no cue ball. That's a 13 ball!
There's another poster that frequents this forum who has a billiard ball on his press handle, too.
Old February 13, 2008, 12:45 PM   #54
freakshow10mm

Quote:
800 pieces of .375 H&H--who on earth wants to shoot a .375 H&H eight hundred times! Kidding, I know how nice it is to have a good supply of brass. But that's a big, hard hitting round there. 800 seems like many lifetimes worth of brass!
Got it for a song over on gunbroker. Figure 5 firings per case before the belt wears, I'm good for 4000 shots. About a two year supply.

Here's what I shoot the 375 out of. Have to clean up the muzzle a bit. I got a 375 H&H Magnum rifle barrel and hacked it off to 15.5 inches. Was going to put a Vais brake on it but not need really. Still might though. See video under pics.

Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdIY6BgXfXA

Quote:
40 pound keg of powder--again, wow! That's a monster. Which power? Get a good deal on it? What's the price per pound when you buy 40 pounds?
Longshot. $450 plus $20 HM, $20 shipping.

Quote:
7,200 lbs of lead with another 1,000 coming. Where do you store 8000 pounds of lead? What form is it in? And where do you find the time to process all of this lead? Are you a commercial caster, or considering it?
Basement and my in-law's farm a few miles out of town. Have a few 55gallon drums filled with lead. I use range lead from bullet traps, dirt berms, etc. Scrounge for wheel weights (WWs), lead pipe, sinkers, old X-ray aprons, lead sheets, etc. I mix my own alloys. I'm a commerical caster and also sell reloading equipment on my site. My website is www.freakshowbullets.com.

I'm a licensed Type 06 FFL.

Quote:
45 Super-- very cool. What's your pistol?
Glock 30 with KKM Precision barrel and 21# Wolff spring/guide rod.

Quote:
I noticed the cue ball on your Rockchucker. Adds a nice touch. Where did you get it? If you made it, how did you drill and tap it?
Guy from another forum, hangs out on Castboolits and Glocktalk. It is threaded, I think he chucked in in his lathe and D&T'd it on that.
Old February 13, 2008, 02:11 PM   #55
carpfisher

My bench!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001F.JPG (126.8 KB, 190 views)
Old February 13, 2008, 06:47 PM   #56
Sevens

Now there is the bench of a shotgunner!
Old February 13, 2008, 07:42 PM   #57
CrustyFN

Here is my small bench with a lonely Lee classic turret.

It's not too lonely though, I have plenty of components to keep it busy.
Rusty
Old February 14, 2008, 11:03 AM   #58
Sevens

See, I knew there was another guy with a billiard ball on his press.

That T/C Encore in .375 H&H has to be a real mother to deal with. I wonder how the recoil compares to a .500 S&W Mag. (not that I've ever had the pleasure of shooting either)
Old February 14, 2008, 04:22 PM   #59
freakshow10mm

Never shot a 500 Mag either.

My link to a video of me shooting it is under the second pic in my last post. It's a little lighter than a starting charge because the range limits me to 2000fps or 2200fpe. These are a 250gr Sierra about 1981fps/2179 fpe.
Old February 16, 2008, 10:45 PM   #60
DSOTM

Anyone have any links to something small I could buy that would be sturdy enough to load .223 on?
Old February 17, 2008, 01:03 AM   #61
bhawkeye

Well I was moving to be close (across the street) to my grandkids when I decided to start reloading again. The house I bought need significant “upgrades” so no place to set up the reloading equipment.
My son (& more importantly – his wife) agreed to let me set up a small, temporary space in their garage – so I have half my presses set up & am happily getting going again.

Since I could only have about 2’ of “dedicated” space on their 16’ bench and
knew I wanted to have at least two presses set up, I decided to mount a 2’ (actually 25”) wide x 50” long section of 2” oak countertop, which my son had “just waiting for a good project”. I got some 6061-T6 aluminum channel (3” x 0.258" x 1.5”) for bracing. I ran a length of channel the length of the top and one on the bottom, under each press from side to side. Bolted it to the top of the existing bench, through the bench from the top channel to the two bottom channels, & with angle brackets to studs in the wall. It is VERY stable. Heres what it looks like (you'll notice I took way more than 2' - but not "dedicated"):

Here’s the die setup, with the KISS bulletfeeder. Also, I have added the EGW “U” die in station 1, for resizing. This had the added benefit of allowing easier removal of the powder measure. The Hornady New Dimension sizing die that I used initially had a much longer depriming rod, which interferred with powder measure removal (because of the KISS). The dies are: EGW "U" sizing die, Hornady LnL powder measure w/KISS ptx, KISS bulletfeeder. Hornady New Dimensoin seating die with Microjust, Hornady New Dimension Taper Crimp Die. One benefit of the LnL AP is half station indexing. The shellplate indexes a half station on the upstroke and a half station on the downstroke. This makes it very easy to visually check the powder level between the powder measure/ptx station and the KISS bullet insertion. Don't think you can do this on a Dillon (to be fair though - the half station indexing is also the source of the "5th station" restrictions/problems).

Here’s how tight a fit the KISS makes the powder measure – between the KISS & the primer tube shield – no contact, but it’s sure close. You can also see the primer tube follower I added (currently 1/8” brass rod). The blue tape marks zero. I have marks for 5 & 10 remaining also. I’m planning to replace this brass rod with a brass tube. It’ll still be plenty of weight, but in case of a detonation – a tube should make a much less efficient missile.

I bought the $25 bracket from Roger (bulletfeeder.com), so I didn’t need the big PVC base tube. It was great (looks like an angle bracket with a toilet mount) – but mounting it to the case feeder column (which I did) requires ~1/4” shim between the mounting bracket & the column of the case feeder to avoid interference with the lower case feeder bracket. No biggie.

The only other thing I’ve done is to JBweld a stainless steel washer to the press frame under the primer ram. This makes it much easier to seat the primers (for me, anyway), & doesn’t bang on the cartridge catcher bracket. It does, however, mean you have to raise the ram slightly to manually cycle the primer slide. I have never had a primer pick up or primer slide issue – except for the last primer. If you’re going to reload another hundred – reload the primer tube when you get below 5 remaining. I thought I had a primer feed issue – but it turned out to be an indexing problem. Even if it seems ok on initial setup, watch it closely for the 1st few hundred rounds. Mine started slightly undershooting on the downstroke. The hole didn’t perfectly align with the primer ram, so when I pushed the handle up nothing happened & I spilled powder. A LITTLE counterclockwise on the left pawl adjustment – HEAVEN.

I have another LnL AP & a LnL classic single stage, which will have to wait for MY garage to be finished. I have 2 6’ benches for the presses & an 8’ bench for cleaning, repair, & projects. I have also designed & built (with emachineshop.com) strongmounts, which I got locally powdercoated, custom designed for my presses. OK, I know it’s stupid, but I’m not a mechanical engineer & I’d never designed anything in sheet metal by myself before. Just had to try. Their software is great (for a novice) – their pricing is pretty high (and it’s gone up since I did mine).

I know this is long – but I have to say I LOVE the LnL AP & the Redding UltraMag. Also – for the UltraMag, I use the Lee Autoprime II. This is a fantastic product. It feels cheesey – the 1st time I assembled it I almost broke it – you have to “help” the last ~20 primers down the chute (I use a small allen wrench), but you can adjust the primer depth precisely, never had an upside down primer - & in use it feels & works GREAT. Also, the RCBS Chargemaster is amazing. As someone who has spent a lot of time with a trickler – NEVER AGAIN! You gotta see it to believe it. The problem is – it’s so fun to watch. Using the auto setting, you can actually use a powder measure(set a few grains below your desired charge) to fill the pan & it will trickle the last few grains to a perfect charge. What a trip! I remember the painstaking process of charging precision rifle rounds by hand. A few – no big deal – but make a hundred, ouch! This thing is amazing (to me).
Old February 17, 2008, 11:12 AM   #62
Jim Thompson

Railing system on Rembrandt's bench?

Can you give me some information on this railing settup. Did you make it?
Old February 17, 2008, 06:07 PM   #63
gun44

Here is mine.

The gas heater in the first photo is NOT hooked up! I have had the Thumlers Tumbler since the early seventies.
Old February 17, 2008, 10:13 PM   #64
TexasSeaRay

Gun44

Gun44,

My hat's off to you--that is an EXCELLENT set-up!

I love my Thumler's Tumbler as well--had it since 1987, and other than replacing a few belts, no problems whatsoever.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old February 18, 2008, 06:03 PM   #65
Robert M Boren Sr

Here's mine, I'm in the process of building another just for shotgun loading and freeing up some space on this one.

Old February 18, 2008, 06:27 PM   #66
Jim Thompson

This is my reloading area in my Garage.

As you can see, I'm a Dillon and RCBS fan. The bench is cluttered since this the picture I took for insurance just in case I need to show it
Old February 18, 2008, 06:32 PM   #67
Jim Thompson

Old February 18, 2008, 06:34 PM   #68
Jim Thompson

Old February 18, 2008, 06:36 PM   #69
Jim Thompson

Old February 18, 2008, 06:43 PM   #70
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thompson
...Railing system on Rembrandt's bench?
Can you give me some information on this railing settup. Did you make it?
Try this link, see post 162 & 166 for a description.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=211693&page=7

By the way....nice set up...