The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 20, 2009, 04:47 PM   #1
bones19d

Service Rifle Legalities

I'm in the military and have shot several "As Issued" combat matches...I've began building a rifle to shoot in the service rifle category but have a question on legalities...

I recently purchased a RRA varmint upper with the stainless Wilson Bull. It has the metal free float tube on it. Reading the CMP rules, it states "A standard handguard or tube without an accessory rail must be used".

Does this mean it is legal? I orginally thought I would have to put on DCM free float handguards.

BTW...the reason I bought the RRA Varmint upper vs the NM was the wait from RRA. Found this one on hand locally.

Any input/advice is appreciated!
Old February 20, 2009, 06:59 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

I had not seen that rule before.The way I read it the tube handguard without accessory rail is allowed. A carry handel with A2 rear sight and standard M16 front sight need to be attached in the same places as are on the M16A2. Making it look like an A2 sounds like alot of work.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old February 20, 2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Casimer

Is this for CMP leg matches, NRA HP service rifle, and/or military service rifle matches?

For CMP leg matches and NRA service rifle class, you need the 'standard' as-issued hand guard design. I'm not sure of whether there are exceptions within the military matches.

The NRA and CMP DR rules are pretty close regarding service rifle specs.

This is the relevant section of the rule book - http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf

6.2.3 U.S. Rifle, Caliber 5.56mm, M16
The rifle must be an M16A2 or M16A4 rifle issued by the U.S. Armed Forces or
a commercial rifle of the same type and caliber.
Old February 20, 2009, 08:38 PM   #4
musher

My understanding of the rule is that it has to LOOK the same externally. Free float is fine as long as it doesn't change the external appearance from 'as issued'.

Tubular metal freefloats would be no good due to the difference in profile.
Old February 20, 2009, 09:53 PM   #5
bones19d

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm looking for a rifle I can shoot in leg matches and service rifle competitions.

I already have a front sight post fixed, and just ordered a RRA NM carrying handle...1/4 MOA adjustment.

The replacement to the DCM handguards (basically a free float tube with plastic handguards over it) looks pretty straightforward...it just screws on where the delta ring would be.

On the front sight post...which type (ie thickness, shape, etc) is best for service rifle competition?
Old February 20, 2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Casimer

Quote:
On the front sight post...which type (ie thickness, shape, etc) is best for service rifle competition?
That's subjective. IIRC the 0.052 is the closest to the width of the black, but a lot of people prefer a wider post. If you're using a 6 O'Clock, I suspect a 0.052 or 0.062 is preferable. I use a center hold w/ a 0.072 post. This is noticeably wider than the black when it's bisected - so it's easier for me to center the bullseye accurately.
Old February 21, 2009, 05:26 AM   #7
Brit

Quote:
That's subjective. IIRC the 0.052 is the closest to the width of the black, but a lot of people prefer a wider post. If you're using a 6 O'Clock, I suspect a 0.052 or 0.062 is preferable. I use a center hold w/ a 0.072 post. This is noticeably wider than the black when it's bisected - so it's easier for me to center the bullseye accurately.
Good thinking, the middle is always the middle!
Old February 21, 2009, 08:28 AM   #8
4EVERM-14

Casimers post is good .
As to front sight shape alot of shooters prefer a square post. Reason being it has good sharp corners and offers better contrast . I turned one to a round configuration and could not see a marked difference. Personal preference may be the answer.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old February 23, 2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Tim R

If you are going to shoot service rifle it has to look like a service rifle.

I would look at White Oak Arms (WOA) and see if one of their service rifle uppers are available. Save the varmit upper for the vermin'.

If you can get 1/4 x 1/4 minute rear sights do it. You will glad you did in the long run.
Old February 24, 2009, 12:15 AM   #10
Scorch

For CMP Service Rifle matches, it must look like an issue rifle, so free-float handguards are allowed, tubes are not. NM sights are allowed, NM triggers are allowed, detachable sight bridges (they are not carrying handles) have been allowed since 2007. I use the narrowest front sight post available (.048" IIRC) and the 1/4X1/4 MOA rear sights. I have a compensator on my barrel, but people will like you more if you don't.
Old February 24, 2009, 06:17 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

The CMP conducts a number of types of competitions for rifle and pistol. For the CMP National Trophy and CMP-sanctioned EIC service rifle matches (where points are awarded toward becoming a Distinguished Marksman), the National Match (NM) versions of the Garand, M14/M1A, and AR-15/M16 service rifles are used. As Scorch said, they have to look like an as-issued service rifles, but only in a black and white photo (colors and finish don't matter). The following exceptions are allowed: They may have fine adjustment NM sights and, after the Clinton era ban on ersatz assault weapons, the rules were changed so it is also no longer required that you have a bayonet lug or a flash suppressor where those were part of the original equipment. Nor is a selective fire switch required to be present, which is why the M1A and civilian version AR's may be used in place of the M14 and M16. On the inside, where the camera can't see, the rifle may be bedded and/or shimmed and may have had a custom trigger installed or had other special accuracy work done to it such as installing a heavy barrel or using a synthetic stock or adding stock weights inside. It has to be one of the aforementioned semi-automatic or automatic version rifles. The match rules require semi-automatic fire only, though the military rifle teams often are using full-auto capable rifles. All bolt guns are now considered Match Rifles (as distinct from National Match self-loaders) and have their own separate competitions.

The CMP also conducts the CMP Game and Special EIC Matches, including the John C. Garand, Springfield, and Vintage Military Rifle (GSM) matches which are for as-issued rifles. These started with the first John C. Garand match in 1998 and are designed to encourage people who want to try match shooting, but who don't want to try it badly enough to invest $4-5K* in getting outfitted to be fully competitive in the regular Service Rifle matches before finding out if they like it? But they also need to stand a chance of winning, so the rifles allowed are more restricted as to what you can and can't do to customize them. The gun must be all original military parts or exact same weight and shape commercial replacements. For example, a barrel must be standard military weight and not a heavy weight match barrel, though you can get a standard contour barrel made by Krieger or one contoured from a Douglas blank. You are allowed to select and to mix and match these to find best fit, but not to modify them. No action bedding or shims are allowed. No parts stamped "NM" (National Match) are allowed. Sights must be original as-issued battle sights with their coarse adjustments. There are some special exceptions: The Garand rifle may have an operating rod marked NM because as-issued GI op-rods in good shape are getting scarce. The Garand barrel's gas cylinder spline may be peened to prevent the front sight from shifting position around the muzzle.

Nick

*By the time you've spent $2K on a rifle, got the Champions Shooter's Supply leather shooting jacket and pants, hat with side flaps, gloves, mat, Kowa spotting scope, Freedland spotting scope stand, range cart, and had your optometrist search out a lab to grind your prescription into a round lens for your $400 German adjustable rifle shooting glass frame, not to mention setting up to load match ammo, well then you've got that kind of money in it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 27, 2011, 08:34 PM   #12
ChrisRL

Just to bring this thread up to date, A4 configuration AR-15's are now allowed in the CMP, providing a few things -

a) you have to have the regular A2 carry handle style rear sights with an A2 style handle on the Picatinny rail;

b) you have to have the regular A2 triangular front sight and post

c) you can have either an A1 or A2 style buttstock - no adjustable buttstocks allowed and you can't switch stocks in a match

d) you can have a four-way front Picatinny but it has to be full length and the front sling mount has to be at the front end bottom of this rail.

There's more in this year's rules, but that's the update to 2011. I know this thread is years old but it's what still came up under Google when I looked just this week, so I thought I'd help set things straight for the moment.