The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 27, 2014, 03:15 PM   #1
camsdaddy

Attacked by a dog

This morning I left Americus enroute to Richland to pick up my Dad to bring him back for church. Enroute I saw two friends in one of their parents driveway enjoying a girls weekend and both from out of state and looped back around to speak. I thought nothing of it. I got out and went to hung them when all of a sudden I hear her scream dog (don't remember its name just remember no) NO. Repeatedly she is screaming the dogs name and no. The dog is charging at me. I step back to my Jeep. Thinking it doesn't have a top. I didn't get in thinking that the last thing I want to be was pinned in a vehicle with an attacking dog. The dog began growling and snapping. I felt a bite on one leg and then it latched to my other leg. I knew then I had been bitten. The owner is apologizing and screaming at the dog. Eventually I sat in the Jeep while she contained it in the house. We doctored the wound and had a pleasant visit. I have a puncture wound and one wound that just barely didnt break skin. I came home and rinsed the wound and the bandage has soaked through. I am on antibiotics and advised to keep an eye on it.
The strange thing was I was carrying my Glock 26 as well as a can of Sabre red OC spray. I was also wearing Ga boots. I simply screamed at the dog but went no further. I didnt think that kicking the dog would have done any more than make the dog mad. Spraying the dog would have probably gotten the owner and myself as well. Having a gun didnt cross my mind until it would been a matter of I was mad rather than defense. I was suprised honestly. I let my guard down. I never go into condition white. I never even thought of danger. When the attack came it came fast and in a vengence. Just typing this to process it. I do not blame the dog I assume she felt I was a threat and was protecting her owner.
Old July 27, 2014, 03:34 PM   #2
Stevie-Ray

Tough one. I expect a dog that attacks me to be a stray, not somebody that I know's pet. I doubt that I would have killed it, either, though it certainly would have gotten kicked in the teeth. I know that, as I've done it before.
Old July 27, 2014, 04:31 PM   #3
g.willikers

Glad to hear you're on the mend.
Dogs are dogs, none of them are all that bright, so there's no telling what any of them will do.
I had a 100 lb boxer that was mostly friendly as could be.
But one day, he just decided to make a rush at a visitor.
The guy gave my dog a well delivered martial arts kick in the side and stopped it in its track.
My mutt came running back to me as if to say, "That guy done kicked me real hard, boo hoo."
No complaint from me.
If you would have sprayed that dog or kicked it real good, it's doubtful your friend would have complained, either.
Shooting it, on the other hand,...........not so agreeable.
But you are definitely allowed and obliged to defend yourself.
Old July 27, 2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Pahoo

Lives to bite, another day !!!

Quote:
I do not blame the dog I assume she felt I was a threat and was protecting her owner.
We all know that sooner or later, he will bite again. If it's me. that will be his last human bite. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 28, 2014, 09:33 AM   #5
skoro

Your "friend" hasn't trained that dog even to the most basic level of responding to her commands. Some folks are not responsible enough to own a dog. Your injuries are minor, but the next victim could be a child.
Old July 28, 2014, 10:01 AM   #6
1-DAB

had a similar incident recently. that dog still roams loose onto my property (dog's owner doesn't have a fence and doesn't keep it on a leash or inside under control). when i hear it coming (it always barks), my hand in on my grip and gun is either ready to draw, or at low ready. so far, two warning shots into the dirt have sufficed (one each on two occasions). i don't want to kill that dog, but he needs to learn to stay on his own property. dogs can move incredibly fast.

be sure to report this to animal control. this dog is now considered a vicious dog, and a candidate for putting down if that happens again.
Old July 28, 2014, 10:16 AM   #7
madmo44mag

A dog that is not well socialized often behaves in this manner.
This is the owners fault not the dogs.
Dogs are pack animals and he saw a threat to his pack and acted.
If he was well socialized and the owner had fully established their place as the ALPHA dog this would not have happened.
The dog acted as the Alpha in this case.
The dog would have growled but held back because the ALPHA dog had not commanded it to attack.
Two of the most important things to know about dogs.
They live in the moment and react as a pack.

Glad it turned out ok as this could have been very ugly.
Old July 28, 2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Fugit1ve Wizard

Glad you didn't get seriously injured. As a dog owner, I would like to say all three of your defenses would have been justified should you have used them against my Great Dane in a similar situation. That is why people need to have a realistic view of the fact that their dog is capable of very real violence, and train them as being expressly below all human family. Having secondary "pack members" is a must, so not every new visitor is perceived as a threat.
My neighbors boxer comes to mind, very under-stimulated dog and has had several close calls already...
Old July 28, 2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro
Your "friend" hasn't trained that dog even to the most basic level of responding to her commands.
Not only that, but she has no idea how to give those commands in the first place. Screaming hysterically at her dog is the worst thing she could have done at that moment: All that does is rile the dog up and make it think its owner is in distress, which can make aggressive behavior even worse.
Old July 28, 2014, 11:53 AM   #10
stephen426

Glad that you're okay. I might have kicked the dog, but I certainly would not have shot it. Pepper spray might have even been okay, maybe not directly at the dog, but close enough to deter it. It also depends on what type of dog. If it is a huge rottweiler, doberman, pit bull, etc, I might have gone for the pepper spray first. Those dogs can inflict serious damage in a hurry. The effects of pepper spray are temporary so its not that big a deal.
Old July 28, 2014, 11:56 AM   #11
psalm7

That is one of lifes lessons . It may help you if you are a victim of any other kind of attack . Your mind will process how you could have reacted and may save your hide one day ..... and others .
Old July 28, 2014, 01:16 PM   #12
jeager106

Just last week-end I was staying at g-friend Dee's home.
She lives in a very upscale devlopment, homes are upper class on a cul-de-sac, all nieghbors are professional people with healthy incomes.
That don't mean they are smart or better than anyone else in my worldview.
Dee has several g-children, all under 11, the youngest but 3. They play outside in this upscale "safe" nieghborhood.
The fellow right across the street has a mean dog. Some brown but handsome brute (the dog!) with a curled tail. Last Sun. it was loose and went into attack mode as I was getting a fishing rod from my Escape. Right near the rod was my holstered .45 Kimber L.E.T fully loaded (always locked up).
The brute had it's hair raised, back paws throwing grass & dirt, jaws audibly snapping only 2/3 feet from me. For a fleeting second I thought about using the Kimber. Yes it did cause me to be afraid of being bitten.
I know dogs pretty well, stood still facing the thing for several minutes when the owners daughter managed to call the thing back.
Later I nicely asked the owner to please keep it under control & experssed my fear for Dee's grand kids. The guy was pretty arrogant but I took that in stride & didn't get stupid with him but I wanted to.
If the thing runs loose again I'll call the local cops & have the owner cited into court.
If it attacked a kid I'd get real radical real quick.
The OP used good sense in his non reaction to the threat.
Old July 28, 2014, 02:48 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

Dog's mouths are antiseptic. You don't need to worry about your leg falling off.
"...Your "friend" hasn't trained that dog..." Yep. She's begging for a law suit and possible criminal charges.
Old July 28, 2014, 04:34 PM   #14
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
Dog's mouths are antiseptic.
That's not true. Dog's mouths are full of bacteria just like human's are. The general consensus seems to be that they're not any cleaner or dirtier than human mouths, but you're less likely to get a communicable disease from a dog than a human, and the bacteria in dogs' mouths is less likely to infect you than the bacteria from a human because the bacteria will be less familiar to your body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
You don't need to worry about your leg falling off.
This also isn't true. Sure, it's unlikely that his leg will get so infected that it falls off, but since dogs' mouths are full of bacteria, it's definitely possible for the wound to become infected if it's not cared for.
Old July 28, 2014, 06:02 PM   #15
jeager106

What he ^ said in spades.
Cat bite is even worse. Much worse.
Old July 28, 2014, 06:54 PM   #16
spacemanspiff

Dog bites me or attacks one of my family? Dog is most likely going to suffer eye gouging, puncture wounds, possibly even gsw's; whatever I can do to stop the attack. Don't really care if its owner is there screaming to regain control of the dog.
Old July 28, 2014, 07:22 PM   #17
TailGator

First, credentials: Doctor of veterinary medicine with over 30 years of practice experience.

The idea that dog mouths are clean is completely false. Not only do they have plenty of resident bacteria, but many owners do not pay attention to dental hygiene, and even those that do do less than most humans do.

Dog bites do get infected, with a variety of organisms, some of them quite difficult to treat in today's world of widespread antibiotic resistance.

And yes, jeager 106, cat bites frequently get infected worse than dog bites, but both should be taken seriously.

In many states, perhaps most, the bites of domestic animals are reportable, meaning that a physician who treats one is required by law to report the injury to appropriate authorities.
Old July 29, 2014, 12:35 AM   #18
colbad

Since you had boot, I would have certainly laid some leather into it. Hard to kill a friend's animal and shooting would have most likely been reckless under the circumstances.
Old July 29, 2014, 05:34 AM   #19
Jim567

A lot of LE don't hesitate.

http://m.firstcoastnews.com/TopStori...3286897&f=2040

They hit a car, a house and just grazed the dogs.
Unfortunate.

They were not bitten.
Old July 29, 2014, 09:22 AM   #20
DannyB1954

Over a year ago My neighbors 5 dogs broke through their fence. These are not socialized dogs. I was walking across my property to tell the neighbor when they came at me. They were acting as a pack and were about 3 feet around me.
I put a 9mm round into the ground in front of me and the loud noise frightened them and they scattered. I would not recommend doing this if you are standing on something hard like concrete, but in dirt it works well.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:08 AM   #21
Dwight55

The OP has a lot more self control than I do.

That dog would have been seriously hurt, . . . I'd have gotten a club, and chased him/her into the house, . . . clubbing as I went, . . . and if the friendship went south, . . . it would not have been a great loss.

ANYONE who does not control their dogs is no less a threat than someone sitting on their front porch shooting a .22 in random directions. Either one will one day hurt another person, . . . and it may be very serious.

Glad you did not get hurt badly, . . . but the dog need a good fetching up.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 29, 2014, 04:33 PM   #22
Jim567

I got bit by my neighbors dog while jogging on the sidewalk.
A canine pierced one of my fingers.
Hurt like hell.
I was cool about it and called him only to see if the dogs had it's shots.
He cursed me because I had kicked the dog pretty good when it bit me.
My wife made me call the cops so we could find out about the dogs shots.
The deputy picked me up and put me in the back of the cruiser to show him where the dog lived.
The deputy got out of the cruiser.
The dog charged him.
Dove at the deputies feet and rolled over!!! What!! That dog hated everyone!!
I felt like an idiot!
Had to get shots. Went to the next town over to a fast care.
The nurse came out and asked me where I was bit.
I said Ft Lauderdale.
She looked at me like I was a nut and couldn't suppress a chuckle
Old July 29, 2014, 04:58 PM   #23
eastbank

do you know why a dog licks his arse(no germs there,right)? to see what he had for supper last night. eastbank.
Old July 30, 2014, 10:42 AM   #24
ares338

I hope you had that dog quarantined.
Old July 30, 2014, 12:19 PM   #25
Hook686

All you young, healthy macho folks use limited thinking. I am an old disabled man that 1) cannot move very quickly as half my body is partially paralyzed. I really only have fine motor control on my right side. In known dogs on the loose areas I carry a stun-gun on the belt and a J-Frame in the pocket. There is no way I can get away from, out maneuver, or over power a large dog, let alone a pack of dogs.

The stun-gun is if it is one dog that is slowly closing in on me, snarling, and growling. It the snapping, popping and crackle of the electrical arc discourages the dog great. If not I won't hesitate to toss the dog the stun-gun and draw the J-Frame. I really do not have time to analyze the situation. I cannot afford to let the dog get a hold on me, so it has to be draw and shoot. Friends dog, or not I am going to resist being killed by a dog to the best of my ability.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Closed Thread