The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2008, 05:10 AM   #1
10 Spot Terminator

.264 Win Mag Sweetheart Load 4 You !!!

For those of you who load for the 264 MAG i have a load that I finally came accross that does this old plains rifle justice. I am loading for an original Model 70 Winchester pre 64 Westerner that in the day loved the factory Winchester 140 gr. softpoint ammo which was custom designed for this rifle when progated. This factory load had a special double diameter bullet made for the extremely short throated chamber that would allow full length seating of the bullets and decreased drag on the bullets when fired due to the extremely short length of the bullet that actually contacted the rifling and hence increased the speed of the bullet giving it the performance it was touted for when introduced in the late 1950s . As you cant get these bullets from Winchester, loading for this cartrige has always been a disheartening pain in the tookas . If this was not enough Winchester discontinued the factory ammo for appx 3 1/2 years with no promise they would produce it ever again. Well they did and it came back $10 a box pricier. The solution to the prblem for me was to have the throat lengthened to accomodate full length seating for 140 gr. bullets and hit the load bench to try to get the 200 yard 1 1/2 groups back the rifle would do with the factory ammo . I had fair results with Sierra and Speer 140s both preferring H4831 loads at or near 62 gr. and they would print 2 1/2 inch groups at 200 yds. Not bad for an old production rifle but I wanted it all back as good or better than before. I recently went through 2 boxes of the Barnes 130 gr. TSX bullets due to their longer length and terminal performnace with several popular powders and was getting only similar results as with the other bullets I had tried until I got lucky and hit the sweet spot . Try this one on for size and I hope it works as well for you. 58.5 gr of Reloader 22,,, Barnes 130 gr TSX,,, Win, case,,, WLRM primer with an OAL of 3.340 in. which 3 test groups of 5 rounds each chewed a ragged sub 1/2 in hole at 100 yards and print an honest 1 in group at 200 yds with an avg
speed of 3060 FPS and an extreme spread on all 15 rounds fired of 19 fps,,, It aint benchrest performance but Im sure the Mulies out in the flats at 300 yds or more wont be able to tell the difference . Happy Hunting ,,, 10 SPOT