The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 25, 2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Pops1085

Which handguards should I use on my ar?

I'm just looking for some advice here, I got the moe handguard from magpul a while ago but I was just gifted a blackhawk quad rail and I'm not sure which one i like better. Which would you choose and why?
Old March 26, 2013, 04:03 AM   #2
Metal god

Magpul cus it's liter feels better when handling it and you can add rails to mount other things like lights , grip or bi-pod if needed .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 26, 2013, 06:42 AM   #3
jmr40

I like the Magpul better, but this is really just personal reference. Nothing WRONG with either one.
Old March 26, 2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Drhc116

Is the BlackHawk free floated. If not, I would probably lean towards the Magpul from and ergonomics standpoint. If the BH is free float, I might lean that way only because you could add whatever acc. you wanted with out adding weight and stress to the barrel. If both are not floated and we are talking apples to apples, I like the magpul. Feels good, allows for the additon of rail sections for a few acc. and so on. Also probably considerably lighter than the quad rail.

Just my opinions.
Old March 26, 2013, 10:50 AM   #5
tahunua001

the magpul, even though I hate jumping on bandwagons I like the way the MOE looks and feels. any person with a shred of common sense knows that quad rails are about half worthless and have very little practical application. I tend to prefer free float handguards with as little rail as possible and fell in love with the badger ordnance tube right before it was discontinued... just a rail on top and the ability to add 2 inch rails as necessary everywhere else... I like it, functional, comfortable, no nonsense.

the MOE isn't free float but still has a lot of the features that the Badger hand guard does.
Old March 27, 2013, 10:30 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Sell them both and get a Apex

http://www.apexhandguard.com/

Old March 28, 2013, 10:09 AM   #7
doofus47

I had 40 year old triangle hand guards on my AR, but I replaced them with Magpul to keep them from being broken by accident. My rifle-length MOE feels pretty nice.
Old March 28, 2013, 04:23 PM   #8
emcon5

A2.
Old March 30, 2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Glockstar .40

not to complicate things for ya but Daniel Defense rails are the best on the market. imho... very light and durable but they arent cheap.

that being said my buddy has magpul and he really likes it.
Old March 30, 2013, 12:53 PM   #10
WillyKern69

Troy Industries makes some nice ones.

WK
Old March 31, 2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Gazpacho

Why was the quadrail given to you? They typically aren't cheap. So was it an honest to goodness gift, or just crap that the giver wanted to get rid of?

IMO, a picatinny rail is about the worst surface you would want to hold onto on a rifle. They are sharp enough to cut or abraid your hands under the right conditions. You may have noticed that they sell covers for picatinny rails, so that you can actually use a handguard covered with rails. They also add weight.

I have Maguls on my ARs. They are functional and durable. Of course, I also am a strong believer in the KISS principle, and my ARs are built accordingly.