The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2013, 02:59 PM   #1
2rott

Redding 9mm 3 die sets- seat & taper well enough?

I've been reloading 38 spl. for the last 2yrs, on an old hand me down Lyman T-Mag turret press that works very well. I recently started reloading for 45 & 9mm. Last night I loaded 5 different groups of Cast 230g 45 acp using 3-Die RCBS carbide TC dies. Surprisingly I had no problem adjusting OAL & the taper crimp. I fired all the rounds this morning & they all functioned perfectly & accuracy was acceptable.
I would like to load cast 147g 9mm with a 3 die set too & cut my reloading time. Right now I use a Lyman 3 die set plus their taper crimp. Reviews I've read on the 3die RCBS 9mm sets are far from encouraging. Has any one used the Redding 3 die set? I was hoping their seating & taper crimp might be better than the RCBS.
I've recently started shooting steel plate & bowling pin matches & extreme accuracy is not necessary.

Last edited by 2rott; January 3, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old January 3, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2
serf 'rett

Well, that is strange...

...to read there is a problem with RCBS dies, because I've had none to date with my three piece sets of 9pm, 40S&W and 45ACP.
Old January 3, 2013, 03:53 PM   #3
2rott

Well serf 'rett that's what I wanted to hear. I found negative reports on Midway & another site. I've been satisfied with my Rcbs 3die 45acp set & am glad to hear the 40 & 9mm works fine for you. Just starting to reload the 9mm, I thought it might have problems other calibers didn't.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:03 PM   #4
serf 'rett

I seat and crimp in separate steps, which simplifies die adjustment (plus yields better groups in my opinion). Since I reload more 9mm, I actually bought a second seat/crimp die which I leave set up for crimping only. Use of a Hornady bushing system makes swapping dies quick, really quick.

Setting the seating stem depth with RCBS stem lock nut can be a pain, so I use a little trick. I adjust the seating stem using a previously loaded round and lock the stem in place with the stem lock nut. The final adjustments are made by raising or lowering the die body. Once you get the hang of this process, adjusting seating depth to +\- 0.001 is fast.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:21 PM   #5
rajbcpa

I'm not a fan of RCBS or Hornady seating/crimping dies. However, I do use these dies for seating only and then I use a separate die for crimping.

If you are able to adjust these seating/crimping dies with no issues, then use them.

...what ever works for you!
Old January 3, 2013, 06:21 PM   #6
2rott

rajbcpa, Last night was the first time I used a 3 die set with a taper crimp & it seemed to work well. I have read & heard so much negativity about taper crimping with a seating die, that I think I was either very lucky or maybe it isn't as easy with 9mm. For 9mm reloading I have a Lyman 3 die set that doesn't taper crimp. I also have a Lyman taper crimp die.
I would like to hear from others who seat & taper crimp 9mm in one operation & are satisfied with the results.