The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old November 20, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1
ripnbst

Barrel break in, how many rounds?

To be clear, this is not another how do you break in a barrel thread. I do not wish to discuss procedure as there is more than enough information regarding procedure out there.

My question is, regardless of procedure how many rounds would you put down range before really trying to sight in for accuracy? Or really think that you are at optimal accuracy? Is it 10 rounds? 20? 50?
Old November 20, 2012, 07:30 PM   #2
jmr40

Zero.

I clean the bore to get any oil out, mount the scope, bore sight and start shooting. I clean it when it gets dirty or accuracy starts to go away.

Just shoot and clean normally. The compex procedures sometimes recommended are a waste of time. Often a gun will prove more accurate after a few rounds. It could be 20 or 100, but no special procedures are needed.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I usually meddle around with load development, looking for the tightest groups. I dunno. It might take fifteen or twenty rounds of thises and thatses before I get into the sub-MOA groupings. Maybe that many more; it depends on blind luck, usually. And decades of experience, I guess. Add in whatever tweaking might be needed in the bedding, and then testing. I've never really noticed any dramatic improvement, once I'm getting to sub-MOA.
Old November 20, 2012, 09:45 PM   #4
TwentyToo

I'm of the opinion that barrel "break-in" or "seasoning" is how a liberal would approach gun ownership. Things like this sound good and maybe give a warm fuzzy but there's absolutely zero reality behind it.
Old November 20, 2012, 09:52 PM   #5
TwentyToo

Sorry, what I answered wasn't exactly your question...the term break-in gets me going! As to your question, usually your best shots for accuracy aren't either a old or hot barrel. Number of rounds to stay within that depends on cartridge. The other factor there would be how far you spread shots out taking cartridge into consideration.
Old November 20, 2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Metal god

As I'm sure you know . There is great debate if barrel break in is even needed . I believe the lower quality barrels would not be hurt to be and may even benifit from a barrel break-in including chrome lined barrels . I have only did one barrel break-in and was sighting in the rifle at the same time I was breaking it in . I feel there is no need to just waste ammo . You might as well be trying to hit something while you break it in . If barrel break-in even works , It's not like the rifle isn't accurate right out of the box already .

That sure was a hole lot of words to say no more then 50 . When I did mine I used 20

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 20, 2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Bart B.

I don't know of any top ranked competitor who breaks in a new barrel. All it does is wear out the barrel X rounds faster; factory or after market.
Old November 21, 2012, 12:01 AM   #8
SIGSHR

I often wonder if it is not so much a matter of breaking in the barrel as it is the whole rifle, getting the parts to work together, polishing the various surfaces that work with each other, etc. I am far from an experienced long range shooter, a few years ago I took one of my SIG SHR 970s-.270 Winchester-to sight in, the rifle was NIB, tightened the screws, first group at 100 yards about 1.5", next group 1.25". Perhaps advances in machine tools and techniques-CNC, e.g. allow more quality control oriented manufacturers
to achive finer tolerances, smoother surfaces, etc. Also different steels.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:20 AM   #9
Scorch

Factory barrel or a premium aftermarket barrel?

Factory barrels are pretty poor barrels compared to premium barrels. They are drilled, reamed, and button rifled, or they are hammer forged. Either way, they get no attention to interior finish, so they tend to be kind of rough. These are the barrels that may benefit the most from break-in, but deserve it the least.

Premium barrels are typically lapped to very fine microfinish and only need minimal break-in to burnish the interior. Your first sighting in session will break them in just fine.

I had never heard it called break-in, but 30 years ago when I bought broach-cut barrels, I was told to shoot and swab until the barrel quit shaving copper from the bullets, about 25-50 rounds. Nowadays that is called break-in, I don't know if we had a name for it back then.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:39 AM   #10
Bart B.

Regarding broach-rifled barrels. . . . .

The ones made at the USA government's Springfield Armory for M1 and M14 rifles as well as the pre-'64 Winchester 30 caliber match barrels, when their teeth were worn down enough to have groove diameters under .3000" shot great from the first round. And the dozens used in 7.62 NATO Garands I've seen and had all had a lot of copper wash after 3000 to 4000 rounds of barrel life even when the copper all got periodically removed with non-embedding abrasives and non-corrosive chemicals. So, I don't think shaving, scraping or plowing off jacket material hurts accuracy as long as it's uniform around the bullets.

Regarding burnishing of premium barrels. . . . .

I've never had a premium barrel that needed any burnishing. They all shot great from the first shot down range. A good shot can sight in a premium rifle using premium ammo with one round anyway; maybe two if he's having a bad day. Even if the sight ain't aligned dead center on the target when it fires.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:50 AM   #11
phil mcwilliam

I offer no scientific supporting evidence, just my observations. Brand new Sako Quad in .17hmr, shot exceptionally good from the first shot. Brand new Sako .308 took maybe a box of 20 before I was getting good groups. Re-barrelled Sako 22-250 took about 100 rounds before I started to achieve small groups.
I've loosely followed barrel break in cleaning regime in some rifles, where in the past I haven't & have noticed no long term difference in accuracy between the 2 methods.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Go back and read the OP. This thread is not about the merits of break-in.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:21 AM   #13
old roper

Here is something on barrel barrel break in

http://www.snipercountry.com/article...breakin_II.asp
NRA Life Member
Old November 21, 2012, 10:18 AM   #14
Bart B.

Quote:
How many rounds would you put down range before really trying to sight in for accuracy?
Zero

Nada

None whatsoever
Old November 21, 2012, 10:32 AM   #15
TheNatureBoy

No more than it takes me to zero my rifle at 100 yards. Some where around 3-5 shots.
Old November 21, 2012, 11:21 AM   #16
old roper

Always big debate over words and happen with barrels.

If you look at Bartlein site and other custom barrel sites they all recommend something different.

I follow Bartlein advise from their site

"The age old question, "Breaking in the New Barrel". Opinions very a lot here, and this is a very subjective topic. For the most part, the only thing you are breaking in, is the throat area of the barrel. The nicer the finish that the Finish Reamer or Throating Reamer leaves, the faster the throat will break in."

I'm sure I can do without that step and I know some that skip it but takes me just couple rds so no big deal breaker.

In the factory rifles who knows. You have factory rifles that sell with test targets and when I use to buy Rem 40x that came with two 5 shot test groups I'm sure they didn't clean between shots.
NRA Life Member
Old November 21, 2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Metal god

Bart over time I have for the most part come to respect your knowledge of barrels and shooting . However ( I thought you deserved a fancy but)
Quote:
A good shot can sight in a premium rifle using premium ammo with one round anyway
Com-on , one shot . So you bore sight your new rifle how ever you please . Take one shot adjust your scope and your readdy to shoot the first round of the comp your in ? I've been real close in 2 shots and dead on with the 3rd confirming shot . Maybe one shot to be accurate enough to hunt dear or someting you got a nice size target to hit but to be dead on in one shot . I think that's one of those thing I would need to see to believe

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 21, 2012, 12:38 PM   #18
Bart B.

Metal God, how well can you call your shots?

Oops, I forgot to mention. My one-shot (maybe two) referred to shooting from the standing position, 4.6 pound trigger, no rest or sling and apeture rear and post front sights. For example, an M1 Garand's sights with a brand spankin' new barrel that's not been bore sighted. It's a lot easier with a bolt gun and a scope.

Last edited by Bart B.; November 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old November 21, 2012, 12:44 PM   #19
Metal god

Your killing me over here

Old November 21, 2012, 12:48 PM   #20
Panfisher

I usually fire a shot just to see that everything is in working order. I have tried the one shot method before but always end up firing another shot or two just to be sure but it can work if you have a vice or something to lock it into. However if your rifle doesn't like that bullet/load you may be "zeroing" on a bullet that shoots a 6" group at 100 yards which can obviously cause problems. Besides I just can't stop at one shot anyway. Ammo was made to be shot!
Old November 21, 2012, 02:47 PM   #21
Bart B.

Panfisher's comment:
Quote:
but it can work if you have a vice or something to lock it into.
I don't think so.

Rifles recoiling in machine rests or accuracy cradles launch bullets at a different angle to the line of sight than when they're shoulder fired. There's typically about 1 to 2 MOA difference in windage settings from a shoulder fired rifle sighted in as it rests atop something on a bench compared to sighting it in from standing. Smaller differences exist between artifical rests and standing, kneeling, sitting and prone.
Old November 21, 2012, 02:51 PM   #22
Bart B.

Metal God, sorry 'bout "killing" you wherever you are. Too bad you expired before answering my question about calling shots. Now I'll never know; nor will anybody else reading this thread.

Do you know what 'calling your shots' means?

Last edited by Bart B.; November 21, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:01 PM   #23
Panfisher

That is true, depending on the rifle and what it is fired on, e.e. hard bench or rolled up towel/blanket. Understand that I am not advocating it, just saying that it can get you close to there. As I said I've never been able to just fire one shot anyway regardless of whether or not it worked. So many hunters sight in from a benchrest and then never consider a change in zero when shooting offhand or agains the side of a tree etc. Truthfully I am glad that so many actually take the time to shoot at a range, many many many don't, they either assume the rifle is still "on" or maybe shoot at a pop can at 25 yards and if it hits it or near it they will say, "hell thats good enough to kill a deer", sometimes they are right sometimes I get to hear their story about the one that got a way.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:19 PM   #24
Metal god

If calling your shot is anything more then telling everybody around wear your bullet will impact then shooting and hitting that very spot . No I do not know what calling your shot means .

Old November 21, 2012, 03:26 PM   #25
TheBear

zero
barrel break in is waste of time and ammo! Why dont you people get that?
Closed Thread