The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2009, 09:11 PM   #1
SixFeetDeep

Reloading Wax bullets using a Shotgun Primer???

Hello everyone, I am new to shooting and I am wanting to get into fast draw with my Beretta Stampede 357 mag. I have talked to a few people about reloading wax bullets, because they are cheap and safer, However the shells you can buy that are drilled out for shotgun 209 primers state that the primers are just "sitting" there and if the gun is pointed up in the air in any way that the primers will fall out and can jam the gun up. Is there a way to drill out the cases so they can accept the 209 primer to achieve the correct velocity without having them fall out while in your gun? I understand that they are wanting to keep it simple and not use a press for the primers so you can re-load out at the range, but I would rather use a press than risk jamming up my gun.

Also, I have head that you can use 4 gn of 777 powder with the original pistol primer, however now this is getting more expensive and the whole point of wax bullets is to keep it cheap. But, Would this work? would you reccomend anything different for me?

Thanks for any replies...
Old January 27, 2009, 01:13 AM   #2
Hoxviii

For the wax rounds use standard brass but drill the flash holes out. Use small pistol primers and you'll be fine.

BUT, mark the brass so you're sure NEVER to actually reload them with anything but wax ever again.
Old January 27, 2009, 11:44 AM   #3
SL1

I used to shoot wax bullets from a .357 revolver.

I used .38 Special cases with enlarged flash holes (still leaving enough "bottom" to the primer pocket to hold the "anvil" in the primer).

I used all sorts of primers, from standard small pistol to magnum small rifle. They all worked, but sent the bullets at different velocities.

I would not consider these things "safe." They can break glass or penetrate skin at close range. They DO richochet. And of course "they can put an eye out."

I quit using them some time ago because they made such a mess in my gun. And, they were spraying lead residue around my basement from the primer compound.

Now I use rubber bullets with the same cases and primers.

SL1
Old February 2, 2009, 10:12 PM   #4
SixFeetDeep

Do you buy your rubber bullets or do you make them? If you but them, m ay I ask where?

Thanks
-Cam
Old February 2, 2009, 10:31 PM   #5
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

you can get rubber bullets from midway...well, maybe not anymore because they are probably backordered like everything else. Obama and Biden are the just great!! :barf:

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 3, 2009, 12:57 AM   #6
tom234

You might want to try Speer plastic cases and bullets. You use large pistol primers.......
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=211008
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...781&t=11082005
Old February 8, 2009, 11:23 PM   #7
SixFeetDeep

So would the plastic cases replace the nickel drilled out oned i bought for the 209 promers correct? Do you know if these cases have the similar problems of the primers backing out and jaming up the cylinder??

And do you know how much slower a Large pistol Primer would shoot a Wax bullet compared to a 209 Primer?

Thanks again!

-Cam
Old February 9, 2009, 09:36 AM   #8
jaguarxk120

How fast do you want the wax bullets to go?
Old February 9, 2009, 11:17 AM   #9
kraigwy

I use to provide wax bullets and blanks for our departments Officer Survial Training.

I used a 1/8 in drill to drill out the flash hole, they worked pretty good but you have to be careful not to get this brass mixed up with other brass that may be reloaded. The larger flash hole will be dangerous in normal loading.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 9, 2009, 11:07 PM   #10
SixFeetDeep

Quote:
How fast do you want the wax bullets to go?
I just want them to be fast enough so they are as accurate as possible for wax bullets.

I know the 209 primers shoot wax bullets around 800-900 FPS, but I don't know how fast a large pistol primer in a case with the flash hole drilled out would shoot the wax bullets?