The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: How Often Do You Hunt?
Just About Everyday 5 14.29%
Once a week 16 45.71%
once a month 9 25.71%
once a year 5 14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 24, 2009, 08:14 AM   #1
Bella

Hunting Frequency?

How often do you guys go hunting? I go once every week or two. I would like to go everyday, but I just can't. When answering this poll, please pick the answer that is closest to your hunting frequency.
Old October 24, 2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I guess it depends on what time of year you're talking about or, more specifically, which hunting season.

From mid-December to mid-October, the last couple of years, I hunt maybe 2 or 3 times if I'm lucky. Those times are 99% woodchuck. I used to hunt woodchucks at least once usually 2 or more times a week too, but I don't have time anymore. During deer season which runs Mid-October through Mid-December I hunt 3 or more days a week.
Old October 24, 2009, 07:56 PM   #3
DRice.72

This year will be the first time in over twenty years I have been in the woods. I have a lot of work to do before Thanksgiving. This is the reason behind some of my beginner questions. Especially since I'm hunting with a shotgun, I have never ever hunted with a shotgun. I have only shot clays.
Old October 24, 2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Swampghost

At least once a week now that work has come to a grinding halt. Hunt private land from Fri. afternoon to noon Sun., have to get back in time for football! Hit the WMA's at least once a week with an old buddy.
Old October 24, 2009, 09:50 PM   #5
HAMMER1DOWN

I am out pretty much every day with my AR-15, .17 HMR, .22, or Muzzle loader just shooting varmints like coyotes, rabbits, porcupines or anything of the such. It really shows come hunting season because I am never out of pratice on shooting.
Old October 24, 2009, 10:57 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Given I have worthy curr dogs to track up and bay feral hogs, Junior and I can hit the wwods 6-10 times per month... EASY... but of late it ain't been worth the gas to chase junk dogs thru the swamps. My deer season gives me the week prior to turkey day. I will hunt several hours per day unless I am processing a deer. Then mid december to mid february is wide open so it will be at least 6 trips per week unless i fill the freezer...
Brent
Old October 25, 2009, 01:57 AM   #7
sc928porsche

Depends on what is in season and where. I hunt most the year be it varmits, fowl, or big game. When not in the field, I am usually found at the ranges or at home reloading. Sometimes I can be found with a fishing rod in my hand.
Old October 25, 2009, 09:16 AM   #8
FrontSight

Where's the choice for "depending on what's in season"?
Old October 25, 2009, 08:06 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Depends on the season. During deer and turkey modern firearm seasons, I usually hunt everyday or twice a week depending on my vacation availability.
Old October 25, 2009, 08:56 PM   #10
rantingredneck

I hunt pretty much every Saturday between the second week in Sept and the first of January. Few exceptions.

In addition I typically take the full week of muzzleloader season off (2nd week in Nov) and the week of Thanksgiving. I also hunt several additional days here and there.

Not quite every day, but it works out to being more than once a week. At least during deer season.

I turkey hunt a couple times in the spring. I go on the odd yote hunt here and there. And a couple squirrel hunts in January. Dove hunt 3 to 4 times a year.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old October 26, 2009, 07:22 PM   #11
zahnzieh

About 2-3 times a week depending if i get a "furlough day" for deer archery. Two legged varmints oftentimes too numerous during the weekends (i.e goose-hunting or dirt-biking) causing commotion and disturbing normal habits of deer. First, second and sometimes third (brrr) deer shotgun weekends - all in all I love it all.
Old October 26, 2009, 07:25 PM   #12
cornbush

This year has been a down year, depends on what is in season most of the time.
Old October 28, 2009, 08:53 PM   #13
rem870hunter

i try to go 2-3 times a week. especially for deer.
Old October 30, 2009, 07:31 PM   #14
James R. Burke

Depends on the season for what you are hunting, and the length of time you. Here we have from Nov 15th to the end of the month for deer, so everyone is out all the time. The kids are even given two day off of school to hunt. Bird seasons runs for about three months so you can take more time, and spread it out a bit.
Old October 30, 2009, 07:47 PM   #15
Crankylove

Every day I can during the Big Game seasons. Try and get out at least once a month for non-game and varmit type critters..............its never often enough though
Old October 30, 2009, 09:48 PM   #16
pwillie

Mostly in January,during rut......opening day!