The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1
abelacres

Just ordered my press and need supplies and info..

Well the tax money came in and rather than let the wife spend it all I ordered a Lee Classic Turrent Kit from Factory sales and a Lyman bullet puller and a Hornady digital scale from Midway. I also picked up a sonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. My press and dies should be Monday...

I'm going to be loading pistol ammo to start with- .38 Special, .357Mag and
.45acp

I've been saving my brass for a while, so I've got enough to get started.

The Problem I have is there is a shortage of places that sell reloading supplies in my immediate area (bullets, powder and primers). I live in the Tristate area of Florida, Alabama and Georgia. (Lake Seminole is about 2 miles from the house)

In Dothan, AL there are only 2 stores I know of that stock supplies and they don't stock much. Both only have Hogdon powders- Hogdon IMR and Winchester...
In Tallahasse, FL the only place I know is Kevin's Sporting Goods.

Not sure about Panama City or Bainbridge, Ga.
I don't really want to order online just yet- I'd really like to get set up and find what's going to work for me and my guns before I order in bulk and pay hazmat.

Any suggestions for Powder? I would like to use one for all three calibers if possible. I know that .45acp uses a different primer but I would like to use the same primers in both .38special and .357mag

Also, does anyone know anywhere else in the area that sells reloading supplies?
Old February 16, 2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Order powder and primers from Powder Valley.

I use Montana Gold bullets. You can get them from Montana Gold directly or from Jake at Rocky Mountain Reloading (He's a member here).

I'm sure there's one powder that can be used for 38 and 357 but you might want a second one for 45. I'm not really sure though, I don't load any of those cartridges. Certainly there's one that would work, but maybe not optimally in all 3.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3
oneounceload

Several powder can be used for these combinations - but realize there will be compromises, especially with the 357 performance.

Bullseye comes to mind as does Universal Clays, Red Dot, and most of the powder that is also used for 12 or 20 gauge shotgun target loads.

You need a manual or three and you need to read them

Ordering online is cheaper, especially when you order in bulk. Since you have no idea what will work best for you, IMO, you are better off buying small quantities at first so if something doesn't work, you are not out a lot of money - therefore, buying local to save shipping and hazmat would be best.

Kevin's is a nice store, BTW.

Once you decide on one or two powders and primers, then buying large quantities in bulk over the net will save you money - that means 2 or more 8# jugs of powder, primers in multiples of 5000, bullets by the case, etc....
Over time the savings can really add up............
Old February 16, 2012, 12:28 PM   #4
dickttx

HP38/231 will work well in all of those cartridges.
I have never used anything but CCI primers. They work well, but no reason why any of the others wont work just as well.
As has been mentioned by several others, starting out, jacketed bullets are easier to load and there is lots of data for specific bullets. When you go to lead there is very often not specific data for specific bullets.
I would buy in smaller quantities (1# powder, 100 primers, 100 bullets) until you find a combination you like.
Old February 16, 2012, 01:15 PM   #5
abelacres

Ok some good advice here so far...

I picked up the Hogdon 2012 reloading manual and looks like HP-38, 231 or Clays will work for what I think I'm looking for, mainly practice ammo.

Kevin's in Tallahassee has several brands of powder and bullets so I may stop by there on my way home Tuesday..
Old February 16, 2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Kap

I'm new also to reloading. I went to cabelas to get started after discussing it with numerous people. I am using bullseye powder for 38, 357 and also 45 acp. I am using 200 gr SWC lead bullets in my 45's. The Kimber I have handles it fine however my old ( 30 yr ) colt will not feed the swc properly. I had trouble with the RCBS dies they sold me with the taper crimp, so I ordered a LEE factory crimp die. I emailed bullseye for correct powder charges for the bullets I'm using for all my reloads. They are more than happy to help. Got back to me within a couple of hours. I have been using light loads for plinking. I bought a vibrating tumbler after reviewing all the reviews about the other ones on the market. I bought corn cob media at the farm store 25lbs for around $12.00 and added a little bit of metal polish when I tumble.
Old February 16, 2012, 04:48 PM   #7
surveyor

try DSH as well...http://www.dshfirearms.com/id32.htm
they carry reloading supplies and are on the east side of tallahassee as well..

other than that, the gun shows that frequent the area have a reloading supplies..

I picked up a tumbler, powder, primers, dies, projectiles..

Ga arms has good prices on cast lead bullets for 9mm & 38/357

lubed/sized for 28 bux/500

I'm going to try bullseye for 9,38,45 first..and then see what happens..

I prefer a diffrent scale than the lee, but have one..to me, a rcbs/dillon 505 is easier to see the grains and tenths on than the lee..

I'm still lacking a caliper.
Old February 16, 2012, 07:17 PM   #8
serf 'rett

I'm guessing that the Bass Pro in Spanish Fort is about 200 miles away from you. Last time I was in there, they had a limited selection of primers and powder, but not many bullets.

To develop loads, I would suggest you get your powder and primers locally if possible. For target loads, look at Winchester 231. If Alliant powder is available, you may consider Power Pistol for full power loads. Alternate choice is Unique (but I don't like the way it meters through my powder measure).

Bullets are very difficult to find in my area; therefore, it's been mail order from the start. I've been using Berrys plated bullets with no problems. Been getting them direct from Berrys or from Powder Valley.

If you begin to crank out a lot of rounds, you'll need to be buying in bulk from places like Powder Valley, Graf and Sons, Widnener's Reloading, Precision Delta, MO Bullets, etc. Can also get supplies from gun shows - buyer beware.
Old February 16, 2012, 07:53 PM   #9
YARDDOG(1)

"Alternate choice is Unique"
Great all around powder, Will load 380's to 45's & everything in between ; )
Y/D
Old February 16, 2012, 08:40 PM   #10
moxie

Bullseye and Unique. Will do everything you want to do, in all the calibers mentioned, except that for really screaming .357 mag loads you'll need some 2400. You can wait on that until you have more experience!

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old February 16, 2012, 09:00 PM   #11
abelacres

Thanks for the link to DSH surveyor. I'll be sure to stop by and check them out.

serf' rett I have stopped at that Bass Pro many times on my way home from Mississippi, last time I was there I thought the same thing. I may check out the one in Destin though....

I may stop at the Gander Mtn in Ocala on the way home tuesday... Anybody know what they have? I've drove past it but never stopped.

btw I travel all over the southeast for work lol
Old February 16, 2012, 09:00 PM   #12
Ak_standard4exelence

I agree with moxy

I have used aliant powders for some time now and unique is very versitle and works well. I personally prefer bullseye for my pistol loads most times. I would recomend buying a pound of each and see what you like the best. I typically use gold dot HP for all loading too. I figgure I should practice with what I intend to use in the field. Most gun shops will order any powder you want if they like your money.
As far as a good place to find your non explosive components, I always recomend cheaper than dirt. I've been doing business with them for 10+ yrs now and dont have a single bad thing to say about them. When the unfortunate does happen the customer service department is the best of any company I've ever delt with.
I hope this helps you out. Remember to be patient s a new loader too. Take the time to enjoy it and the pride of a flawless match grade round made by your own hand. Learn from those before you. Those loading data books arent just sugestions. Take them as gossiple untill you have a few years under your belt. Most of all stay safe and pass on the knowlege to the next generation of shooters headed our way.
Old February 17, 2012, 05:09 PM   #13
abelacres

Thanks for all the replies... TFL is the main reason I became interested in reloading...

Do any other powder companies besides RamShot have online load data?
Old February 17, 2012, 05:27 PM   #14
MarkDozier

Yes sir.
http://www.Hodgdon.com
Alliant
http://www.alliantpowder.com