The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 26, 2005, 10:56 PM   #1
gordo b.

Awerbuck H.I.T.T. debrief

I came back from the Modesto Ca. Sherrif's Dept hosting Lewis Awerbuck's H.I.T.T. course(High Intensity Tactical Training.) ths friday thru Sun.
Many thanks to the Modesto Sherriff's dept and Tommy Gong for putting it together when our usual mid state training site went down the tubes. All time spent with Lewis is profitable, and this was no exception!
Lewis told us at the outset don't expect to shoot a zillion rounds, and we only shot about 250 shot and maybe 100 slugs and less than 100 handgun rounds. Being an advanced course, most students were excellent shots with good working equiptment and superb range safety. Lewis tuned up our shooting skills the first day with quite a bit of line drills, Rolling thunder , and sighting in ect.
My A-5 which was WONDERFUL in operation , a dream come true and Lewis loved it, broke about 150 shots in. The action spring, the One spring I couldn't replace in the 2 weeks I had to build it up from a worn out old duck blind gun, kinked up weird and started not returning the bolt into battery. Oh well, out came the almost 20 year old Robar 870 and the game continued without disturbing the class more than a minute. This spring is back ordered from Brownells, but when I get it, I'll put the wonderful gun back into HD duty, the system IS better than ANY other shottie-potentially!
My only complaint with the course was the only female,s problems stopping almost every drill. This woman is very likable but in the 4 courses I've been in with her it is the same story: stop the class and dissasemble her equiptment ( an 1100 Rem Competitionmaster this time)or what ever strength she lacks to operate it. She lacked the strength to handle that system(this is the second time this month!) and was using wussy loads to compound the problem, and rebuffed (until the 2nd day) any attempt to put a hotter load in the thing!Also she KNEW her stock was too long last class and still showed up with the same stock system and the sights she couldn't hit anything with! All us males with problems got pointed to the twiddle table! I pity GIs in combat in the new coed Army!
Everybody else's stuff including the Bennelli's ran pretty darn good with very minor exceptions. I have more respect for Mossies and their excellent ergonomic's and function , although I'd never own one.Like I said most everyone shot VERY well!
The atmosphere was spiced up Sat PM by an explosive ord demonstration by the really together and large Modesto Bomb Squad! Needed something to forget about the constant showers and skeeters! Lewis added a 5th layer(bobbing no shoot) to his Hostage mover dummies for the night shoot. I only saw one hit on the front no shoots, although there were a couple thru and thru hits to rear no shoots. I did good, I like slugs to the head! The next day Lewis told us why and showed us how to clear Tommy Gong's buffed out residence in town , we only needed about a week more on that subject! Then back to the range with more live fire simulated room clearing with your partner (Cops did it fancy and explosive, me and my OLD partner back to back Rhumba'd it and did about as well, just slower!)and a lateral mover head shot with slugs (not hitting interspersed no shoots, like a runner in a crowd!) and more leap frog slugging from a distance. Did I say I like slugs?
Anyway I really feel I got to pick Lewis's brain this time and I think every body came away a better, clearer gunfighter! We really had a good fellowship among ALL the shooters and Lewis.
By the way ; if THAT female operator reads this I really think you should look into a short and very light 20 gauge gun, nothing wrong with a 20 gauge balistically (you were shooting 20 gauge loads) and a short , light , youth 20 ga. might make you fast and deadly!

--------------------
"Run the bolt, Gordon"
Old April 26, 2005, 11:32 PM   #2
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Good report, Gordo. Louis is truly one of the greatest. Glad to hear he used the new lateral mover in addition to the rest of his moving target system.

FWIW, it would have been just informative if you would have said "one shooter" instead of "a female." I've seen the same problems with many hairy-chested macho guys in a lot of classes, and seen many of the "weaker" sex outperform their male counterparts. Gender, IMO is immaterial.

Denny
Old April 27, 2005, 01:26 AM   #3
gordo b.

Sorry about your loss , Denny!.
I must however disagree about the gender gap. While I have seen really strong women , but nowhere near as strong as a really strong man, the upper body strength just wasn't there. In a one handed shooting drill , for instance there was NO way for her to lift the gun , from kneeling to bear on target. A 6 pound 20 ga. would solve THAT problem instead of a 9 pound 1100. I'll tell you what; I will go to my grave thinking that woman in a combat role is new age lunacy.Sure they can fly airplanes just as well, maybe shoot on a range just as well. But brother Denny, can they drag your wounded butt to safety ? Can they kick the door in? Do they take your concentration away from an objective because of 'special consideration'? I am sorry, I'm just an unreconstructed old fart .
Old April 27, 2005, 04:09 PM   #4
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

OK

Denny
Old April 27, 2005, 07:44 PM   #5
Barry in IN

gordo b-
Besides making the wait harder for an upcoming YFA pistol class I'm taking, you got me thinking about something- Browning A5s.

I don't have one now, but I've had a couple, liked them, and thought about making one into a "fightin' gun".
What particular thing(s) do you think makes them good candidates for that?

I know there's a picture of one in Mr Awerbuck's "Tactical Reality", so I figured he must like them at least some. That says a lot.
Old May 5, 2005, 03:02 PM   #6
106RR

Yfa

Sorry to have missed a chance to train with YFA again. Louis Awerbuck is a great intsructor. I spent all my money on an upcoming bear hunt in Alberta. The loss of the Turlock facility is tragic but hopefully temporary. I'll keep an eye out for the future classes from YFA.
Old May 9, 2005, 02:48 PM   #7
Damon

I would love to take a class from Louis Awerbuck one day.
Old May 9, 2005, 02:58 PM   #8
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Damon, if your serious check his website: www.yfainc.com

Louis leaves here (Prescott Valley) tomorrow for a five-week run back to your neck of the woods. There's a chance that one of his classes may have an opening. Look under "Schedule" and you'll find info on who to get in contact with.

Denny