The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 3, 2012, 11:25 AM   #1
TheStig

Savage Axis .308 bolt will not come back

Hi guys, I've been lurking on TFL for a while, and my first post comes unfortunately due to a problem with my Savage Axis .308. After a lot of searching the web and forums, I haven't found a solution.

I had the bolt out of the rifle for cleaning a couple days ago, and it wouldn't go back in. Getting curious and feeling it should be cleaned anyway, I got ambitious and took the bolt apart and cleaned/oiled it.

The bolt seems to be back together, but now when I put it into the rifle it causes a problem. If I try to raise the bolt handle, it goes up and cocks the bolt. However, the bolt will not come back (like to eject the casing).

One thing I noticed that I did not notice before (maybe I wasn't paying attention) is that the bolt release is down when the bolt is in the fired position, and it goes up when in the cocked position. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

I've determined the cause of the jam probably has something to do with the "button" on the side of the bolt that cocks the rifle, maybe getting jammed up with the bolt release. The front end of the bolt (extractor etc) seems to be working fine. Any other ideas?

I would appreciate any advice on how to get this fixed. Thanks in advance.
Old October 3, 2012, 11:38 AM   #2
hooligan1

Dang it! I tried to come up with a link but my computer won't let me. The bolt is improperly put together. Try to google the removal and disassembly of the Savage Bolt...
Old October 4, 2012, 06:26 PM   #3
TheStig

I've tried re-assembling the bolt, but I can't seem to assemble it any other way than the way I have it. Does anyone know of something specific that I might be doing wrong in bolt assembly?

Thanks!
Old October 5, 2012, 08:21 AM   #4
hooligan1

Listen, when you removed the "hexhead" bolt from behind the handle you have to let the firing pin down into the fired position to get to the "hexhead" bolt,,, when you reassemble it make sure to Recock the bolt before installing it into the rifle.!
Old October 7, 2012, 07:26 PM   #5
TheStig

Hooligan,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work! Incredibly frustrating. I've disassembled and re-assembled the bolt at least a dozen times now and it's still not working.

I've noticed that when I put the bolt in the gun, it is fine until I press the bolt down to lock the action. A couple of times it has released from this position on the first time or two that I try it, then it locks in and I have to disassemble the whole bolt to get it out of the receiver.

My suspicion is that this does have to do with the cocking button, although my problem is somehow when the bolt is in the receiver.
Old October 8, 2012, 05:58 AM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
You need to seek professional help , and maybe a gunsmith too . One of the definitions of insanity is , doing the same thing , the same way , over and over expecting a different outcome !
Old October 8, 2012, 06:07 AM   #7
hooligan1

Take it to your local Gun store. or Smith.