The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 26, 2013, 10:16 PM   #1
t45

Small pistol primers vs small pistol magnum primers

I can't seam to find regular small pistol primers anywhere. I did run acrossed some small pistol magnum primers. What is the down side if I backed off the charge weight by a few tenths? Just asking. Not sure I feel comfortable going down that road.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:26 PM   #2
Budweiser

I inadvertently bought a brick of Winchester Magnum Small Pistol primers, I don't have a .357 Mag to use them on, so I have been working up a load to use them with small primer 45ACP cases, which I have about 1000 of also.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:38 PM   #3
fehhkk

Small pistol primers vs small pistol magnum primers

I have loaded 40S&W with 185gr FMJ with CCI 550 magnum SPP. No problems. I used 4.9-5.0 gr of Bullseye for these along with 1.10" OAL, just perfect. I backed off the load by 0.4gr of what I normally do with regular primers.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

Back off the load about 10% and work it back up again. This should get you close depending on the caliber, bullet and powder combination.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:49 PM   #5
j357

Google and the search feature at the top of this page are your friends. You will find various recommendations to reduce charge by percentage weight. I bought 700 SPM about 2 months ago as I was fearful that would be all I could find. I came across a deal from a local friend 2 days later that included 1K regular SPP primers so I have not put the search results to use yet, but plan some small work ups in 38 and 9mm later this summer.

On second thought, I may hold them until I purchase a .41 Magnum in a year or two.
Old February 27, 2013, 02:39 PM   #6
BigJimP

Personally, I would keep them for something like a .357 mag....or trade them to someone that wants them for standard small pistol primers...

But you can probably get away with dropping the powder down toward the Minimum published recipe ( and shoot them in a steel gun, with a fully supported chamber )...!
Old February 28, 2013, 06:01 AM   #7
Sevens

I see at least three different references to using magnum primers in .357 or .41 "Magnum."

Gotta realize that "magnum" is just a cartridge name. It's supposed to give everyone within earshot the idea that it's a balls-to-the-wall rhino killer, but it's still just a name. The .32 H&R "Magnum" should have been called a "special."

The point: you don't need magnum primers simply because it's a "Magnum" load. Magnum primers are called for because of the powder, not because of the funny name stamped in to the case head.

For sure, you can use magnum primers in any load, but there's no easy, "across the board" reduction schedule. Simply put, you reduce your load and work back up to where you want to be. Safely, using proper handloading techniques.

But as long as you are working with powders that don't demand magnum primers (like H110), you simply don't need magnum primers. You could load a dizzying array of .357, .41 and .44 Magnum loads and never use a magnum primer.

There's been a lot of folks who've expressed that Hercules/Alliant 2400 runs all of it's loads better with standard, non-magnum primers. 2400 was -THE- go-to powder for handloading .357 Magnum for decades and still does a phenomenal job of it.

I've been loading all three of those well-known "magnums", and .38 Super and 10mm and I've never, not once ever purchased a magnum primer in my entire life. Never once primed a case with a magnum primer.

My plan is to NEVER buy one.