The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 26, 2012, 04:03 PM   #1
wayneinFL

Louisiana stolen gun database

I had a firearm stolen in Louisiana in May. Does anyone know if the state of Louisiana has a central database with information on stolen firearms? NCIC? If so, is there public access? If there isn't public access, does anyone here have access to it? Just want to make sure my gun is showing up on a list somewhere.

S&W model 34-1, 22LR, M185140

Thanks.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Powderman

Here is the key question...

When you filed the police report, you DID give them the serial number....didn't you?

If so, no worries. The gun is entered into NCIC and the Interstate Identification Index (Triple-I), and stays there until the gun is recovered...period. That means forever, until the gun is recovered and cleared from the database.

Hope this helps!
Old October 26, 2012, 05:01 PM   #3
wayneinFL

Of course, I gave the officer everything I gave you. But when I called NOPD, they said they didn't have a record of it being stolen. I paid another $25 for the most recent copy of the police report, and all the information is on there. It could be there was some misunderstanding, but two calls to the same woman gave me the same answer- that the serial number doesn't show up.

My other concern is getting it back if it is recovered. A friend of mine had a firearm stolen, and they never contacted him. He called on from time to time and found out it was recovered.