The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 8, 2010, 11:57 PM   #1
SIGSHR

Ballard rifling vs. MicroGroove

I have read that Marlin changed to Ballard rifling at the request of the CAS shooters who found it better for their needs. I would like to know what advantages it gives.
Old July 9, 2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Kadmos

Microgroove rifling is more shallow and has more grooves per inch. As such it is more sensitive to bullet hardness and diameter. If the bullet is not hard enough the small grooves won't be able to grip it well. If the diameter is too small then its much like shooting a smoothbore (well that's an exaggeration, but the theory is similar) . This becomes more problematic at higher velocities.

The deeper cut rifling in the Ballard cut is more suited to a variety of lead hardness's and bullet diameters.
Old July 9, 2010, 06:54 AM   #3
Hawg

Micro groove works well with jacketed bullets but not lead, cept .22's but thats pretty low velocity.
Old July 9, 2010, 10:59 PM   #4
arcticap

In a nutshell, according to the article below Micro Groove rifling will shoot lead bullets just fine if they're large enough in diameter and hard enough. While Ballard rifling simply isn't as finicky which results in a greater variety of bullets that can be used.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fr...ve-barrels.htm

Last edited by arcticap; July 9, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old July 11, 2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Tuckerp229

Quote:
In a nutshell, according to the article below Micro Groove rifling will shoot lead bullets just fine if they're large enough in diameter and hard enough. While Ballard rifling simply isn't as finicky which results in a greater variety of bullets that can be used.
I am relieved because otherwise all those 22 long rifle bullets that I have been shooting the bullseyes out of the targets must not have been real.

Really, I am fascinated about the subject because I have had good luck with Marlin Micro grooving but was surprised to find out I wasn't supposed have good luck. I just buy the 500 round bricks...what ever is on sale.
Old July 21, 2010, 02:36 AM   #6
Owlhoot

I have a Marlin 1894 with microgroove barrel in .357 caliber. I've used the rifle in cowboy competition for fifteen years and I've shot many thousands of rounds through it, all of them with lead bullets, many of them loaded with BP subs. I've never had a problem with accuracy or barrel leading or powder fouling.
Old July 21, 2010, 01:40 PM   #7
the Black Spot

i have a 1981 built marlin levergun in .444 marlin. has the microgroove. i shoot a wheel weight cast lee bullet (300 grain) in front of varget powder and get 1.75" three shot groups at 100 yards with a williams peep sight.

check this link (there is three seperate notes on the .444)

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/28