The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 19, 2009, 04:24 PM   #1
B. Lahey

Hakim Trigger Problem

I picked up a Hakim for a silly low price as a curiosity, and it has something wrong with its trigger.

With the bolt forward and the safety on fire, when you pull the trigger nothing happens. It's just a squishy trigger pull all the way back and the hammer doesn't drop.

I know spare parts are pretty much nonexistant, so is this something that can be fixed?

If so, who could do it for a reasonable price?
Old July 19, 2009, 04:51 PM   #2
SDC

It sounds like the disconnector isn't allowing the trigger-bar to reset to engage the sear, which may just be a case of a missing spring; my first step would be a thorough cleaning, to see if everything moves the way it should. These rifles are essentially direct copies of the Swedish Llungman, which were themselves based on the Russian Tokarev.
Old July 19, 2009, 05:09 PM   #3
DnPRK

Gun Parts Corp listing of Hakim parts
Old July 19, 2009, 07:23 PM   #4
B. Lahey

Quote:
Gun Parts Corp listing of Hakim parts
Nice!

It's always good when I find out unfortunate things I "know" are totally wrong.

There's hope to make it a shooter yet.

Anyone know where to find detailed instructions for taking one apart?
Old July 19, 2009, 08:38 PM   #5
SDC

There's an online one at http://shooting.forsandiego.com/hakim/
Old July 19, 2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Snow Dog

I had a Hakim with a similar problem. Try tightening the trigger guard screws a bit - the whole trigger mechanism is a unit and if the screws become loose then the unit can drop down a bit and get out of alignment with the action.
Old July 19, 2009, 11:44 PM   #7
HeroHog

There are 3 or 4 aluminum(?) tubes that space the trigger the proper distance from the receiver and these can wear or be missing causing the distance between the 2 to decrease to widths will make the trigger function improperly. On one I had, I simply loosened the screws and instead of cranking down on them, I just lightly snugged them... problem solved! I made my own tubes out of steel and through careful measuring and grinding, I found the right height. The bad news is once you have done that, the action will now be a little loose in the stock and need bedding.

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old July 20, 2009, 12:27 AM   #8
B. Lahey

Quote:
Try tightening the trigger guard screws
Quote:
I simply loosened the screws
Tried both ways. No dice.

But there are little loops of wire where the little washer deals apparently should be on the screws, so a proper fit of the trigger group could well be the problem.

Also, the safety won't slide over far enough to field-strip it, it's stuck in "fire", so my attempt at the most basic disassembly was foiled at the outset. Anyone know a way around this?

I'm starting to see why I got such a screaming deal on this rifle.

But it's ok, I knew it was a fixerupper when I bought it, and on the bright side, the barrel is actually in better shape than I first though. A zillion patches and about a pint of Hoppe's has revealed that it has rifling after all.
Old July 20, 2009, 12:38 AM   #9
Wildalaska

Dude post some photos

WildsowecandiagnoseAlaska TM
Old July 20, 2009, 12:54 AM   #10
B. Lahey

No camera available at the moment.

Besides, I can't even get it stripped to take a look at diagnosable areas.

The little loops of wire are located directly under the head of the screws in a groove, which is where the spacers should be if I am understanding the guide linked above.

The safety will only move about .25" to the right and then bounce back.
Old July 20, 2009, 11:59 AM   #11
HeroHog

You have to pop them out to adjust the screws. Use needle nose pliers to remove them. They are there to lock the screws in place and prevent them from backing out. Many Hakims have long lost them.

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old July 20, 2009, 12:46 PM   #12
Snow Dog

There's not much information about these rifles. I did find this: http://www.surplusrifle.com/hakim/index.asp I expect you have found it as well. You can also look for information about the Swedish Ljungman rifles - the Hakim is very much the same except for caliber and the adjustable gas system. Go to the above link and check the field stripping procedures. Several things can happen when cocking the rifle depending on where the safety is and if there is a magazine in place or not. Pushing forward on the dust cover then pulling it back to cock the rifle goes against most peoples mindset of operating a semi-auto rifle. Once you get familiar with the operation of the rifle you'll be fine but they are somewhat complex and it is not intuitive.
Old July 29, 2009, 06:16 PM   #13
jb573

hakim troubles

shoot me an email. I stock most parts for the Hakim and Rasheed and can give you a few pointers.. jb

[email protected]