The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 12, 2005, 08:23 PM   #1
DennyB

New Shotgun

I bought a nice shotgun today at a gun show. I don't know a lot about shotguns. Its used and in nice condition. The tag said its a Mossberg 500, 12 gauge. And as you can see in the one pic Thats what it is. It has a 24 inch rifled barrel and the scope and the ring and the side saddle for shells.Here is some pics of it. Question is what model 500 is it. Cruiser or Pursuader or is it just a 500. I also wound like to find out the maker of the folding stock or if it is a factory one. there is no name on it. Can anyone tell just by looking. I got a great deal on it, traded a Rossi pistol that I had $69.00 in. ANd one more thing if anyone can help. Is there a place online where I can get a manual for it.Thanks everyone.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old June 12, 2005, 10:04 PM   #2
mtnboomer

Looks Like a Mossberg barrel on a Maverick 88 (made by Mossberg) receiver. The folding butt and shell carrier is probably from Advanced Technologies (ATI). I can't tell from the pictures if the scope mount is a saddle/side mount or if the receiver is tapped.

Basicly you own a shotgun that is not suitable for anything as it it set up. It appers to be a conglomeration someone put together out of spare parts. Don't get me wrong, you have a good basis for a useful shottie - but just not as it is. The rifled barrel will only shoot saboted slugs with any worthwhile accuracy. Your shot pellet patterns will be the size of a barn with gaps in it as big as outhouses. The folding stock will make shooting slugs a lesson in futility.

My advise would be to get a Mossberg 500 butt stock and a 26", ribbed, changeable choke Mossberg barrel for general shotgunning, and keep the rifled barrel and scope for deer hunting. If you use the folding stock for home/self defense use, get a 20", plain, Cylinder choke barrel - DO NOT get an 18" barrel as the folding stock may cause it to violate the GCA of '68 by being less than 26" over all length.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old June 12, 2005, 10:44 PM   #3
joab

Quote:
Current and recent model manuals are available from Mossberg and they're free. This includes the following Mossberg model designations: 500®,590®, 835®, 695®, 9200®, 5500™, Maverick® 88™ and 91™ models. Request by E-mail to: [email protected] and be sure to include your "Street" mailing address.
owners manual for 500, 590 and 835
Old June 13, 2005, 05:37 AM   #4
jvlip3

An 18 inch cylinder bore barrel is needed along with a vent rib barrel with screw in chokes. Lose the folder, a fixed conventional stock will give a better cheek weld as well as faster mounting. Also with the safety on top of the reciever you will need to take your hand off the pistol grip to take it off and on. If you set it up with a conventional stock, you have a shotgun that can be used for anything simply by changing the barrel. Deer-rifled barrel, Skeet and birds- vent rib, and home defense-cylinder bore. I have a Mossberg 500 set up this way. It is the first shotgun I've owned and over the years many others had come and gone(pump and semi) but none could match the 500's utility. Nice gun.
Old June 14, 2005, 01:25 PM   #5
foghornl

My humble 1/50th of $1. . .

Visit the Mossberg website www.Mossberg.com

and order a stock for it, or one of the Hogue "over-mold" stocks. Hogue is
www.getgrip.com

You have the basis for a good dependable shotty. I have found the folders, pistol grip only, etc stocks to be of no value to me.

Save the rifle barrel for use with sabot slugs for deer/hog hunting. If you want a short barrel for "Homeland Security" applications, the 18-1/2" cylinder bore barrel is available from Mossberg for $74+shipping/tax, or a barrel with vent rib & a full set of choke tubes is under $150.