The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 31, 2013, 10:30 PM   #26
chances R

I have been to Front Sight numerous times. If lived closer, I would be there more often. The owner is a strong 2nd Amendement supporter, and a tireless marketer. The courses are excellent and enjoyable. Very little criticism will be from the folks that have been there. I would strongly suggest giving it a try.
Old September 2, 2013, 01:35 AM   #27
45Gunner

Had been thinking of attending Front Sight for awhile. I found a few friends from different areas of the country that told me the training was excellent and worth the price.

One day I got a promotional email from Front Sight that offered a 4 day defensive handgun course for $150, a special year end deal. Six of us are leaving for Nevada in two weeks for the course. Amongst the six of us, our skill levels are varied. A couple of guys are fairly new shooters, while two of us are long time shooters, and the other two guys are occasional shooters.

It will be interesting to see how everyone interprets their training. I post a report when we return. I did speak with some of the people that do the training and know that some are former instructors that worked in the Air Marshall Program.

I have to figure that it can't be all that bad.
NRA Life Member
Old September 2, 2013, 07:32 PM   #28
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

45gunner, is this a first class (of any kind) for you or your buddies? I've always been curious to know how FS stacks up against other schools.
Old September 3, 2013, 08:21 AM   #29
wayneinFL

I had a two day defensive handgun course there. Maybe 8 or 10 years ago. Got it for free with a life GOA membership.

Weaver stance isn't my thing, but still very happy with it. They had some very new shooters there who were brought up to speed very quickly. I was very impressed with that. Had some very seasoned shooters, too, who were honing their skills. I didn't hear any complaints.
Old September 4, 2013, 11:44 PM   #30
45Gunner

Quote:
45gunner, is this a first class (of any kind) for you or your buddies? I've always been curious to know how FS stacks up against other schools.
I have attended several schools, none of which are available to the general public. I'll be able to answer your question when I get back from Front Sight after the 20th of the month.

For the rest of my buddies, it will be the first formal training for any of them other than the training I have given them. Two of the shooters in our group have limited firearms experience.
NRA Life Member
Old September 6, 2013, 06:25 PM   #31
ws6_keith

I've been to Front Sight 5 or so times over the last 15 years. The curriculum has changed, but the instruction is very good. Regardless of your skill level when you enter the class, you will improve and leave better than you came.

I've taken the 4 day handgun class 3 or 4 times and the 2-day shotgun class once. Even repeating the handgun class, I pick up more and get better each time.

As far as the marketing goes, yes, they will bombard you with calls and emails. If you hear out one of the calls, there is an option at the end to opt out of future calls. I did this and never received another call.

You can also opt out of the emails, but that's really where you hear about the deals they offer. I'm now a member, and some of the member deals they offer are really good. Like $100 for a lifetime membership to go to FS as many times as you want and take any class they ever offer, for free. Several of us at work bought them and a few of us have been through the classes.

I believe it's well worth the money spent.
Old September 8, 2013, 08:10 AM   #32
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

45gunner, thanks.
Old September 8, 2013, 08:52 AM   #33
dayman

I'm on their mailing list. I'd say on average I get maybe 5 emails a week, and maybe a robocall every couple months (when they're running huge promotion discounts). Since I check my email several times a day anyway I never really notice it, and I figure, one of these times when I have extra cash I'll take them up on one of their offers.
The most recent one was something to the tune of for $100 they'd give you the basic pistol course, and $100 credit for their pro-shop. Sadly I didn't have the $100
I get a lot of emails every day so IMO one more isn't a big deal. If - like my dad - you only check email every week or so, it might seem like a lot.

Also, if you get sick of the emails, they do (as required by law) have an "unsubscribe" link on the bottom of each one.
Old September 23, 2013, 11:32 PM   #34
45Gunner

OK Guys...here's the straight skinny.

Just back from a 4 day Defensive Handgun Course at Front Sight. I attended with 4 other guys with varying degrees of experience and one guy had zero experience. It was actually easier for the guy with no experience as he had no bad habits to unlearn or teachings from other disciplines to forget and go exactly as the instruction demands at Front Sight.

In a nutshell, it was intense to say the least. The training was outstanding. All of us walked away with a renewed sense of confidence and abilities.

The days were grueling in the extreme heat of the desert. We started at 8 AM and finished at 6 PM all but the first day. On the first day we began at 7 AM. Lunch breaks were the only escape into air conditioning but even then, we were in a lecture. The first two days of the course are continuous repetition of learning to present the gun to the ready and on target, on the Front Sight. There were dry practice drills and live fire drills. Shooters are broken into teams of two, swapping positions as shooter/coach. Always Line coaches and Range Officers around for personalized assistance and instruction. No drill sergeant mentally. All instructors were friendly, encouraging and eager to teach/help.

The second two days were a combination of everything learned in the first two days but with scenarios built into the shooting. We learned how to clear a house, rescuing one's family from the clutches of armed bad guys.

Back on the range, we shot against each other and against the clock. Amazing at the end of four days how speed and accuracy came together. Safety was always paramount. Our class of 42 did not have one ND. During shooting skills training one learned how to clear Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 malfunctions while still racing the clock.

My recommendation, should you decide to attend is make sure you have BDU pants or Cargo pants during the range training. You will need to fill those pockets with lots of loose ammo. Bring not less than 5 magazines for your gun. You gun should be full size no matter what make and model you choose to train with. For example, if you train with a Glock, use a full size model such as the Glock 17. If you choose the 1911 like I did, use the government full size model. It is best to have a SAO gun as a DA/SA with deter from your speed and most likely your accuracy during the first round out of the chamber. And the last recommendation I could make is to have a "duty" holster instead of a concealment holster. In other words, a holster that will move your gun away from your body instead of keeping tight to your body. You will spend a lot of time presenting the gun from the holster in a 5 step method and a gun close to your body is going to teach you where every sharp edge of your gun resides and it will eat the skin off your thumb and web between the thumb and forefinger. And for those magazines, have some where the springs are at least slightly broken in as there is no time for reloading aids. Magazines should be worn in a holder(s) that will contain 4 loaded magazines while another resides in your pocket.

In summation, great course, great instruction. Tough environment in the desert heat so one must stay hydrated by drinking lots of water that is supplied at each range. You will enjoy the course if you are anywhere near serious about improving or learning shooting skills. Please feel free to ask any and all questions. I will do my best to answer each and every one of them.
NRA Life Member
Old September 25, 2013, 03:02 PM   #35
SFsc616171

re: Does Anyone Know Anything About This?

Here is the YouTube video about 'Front Sight Training Site'.

Any place for expensive and detailed training this ol' guy, is "more than a good hard day's ride from the ranch".

The woman that I am committed to, would consider me abandoning her, even if it were for 4 days, and I just can't do that.
Old September 25, 2013, 03:03 PM   #36
SFsc616171

re: Does Anyone Know Anything About This OOOPS!!

Duh, got ot thinking of Miss Green Eyes, and plum forgot the link!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfOqdpWAELE
Old September 26, 2013, 01:48 PM   #37
c.j.

Quote:
We learned how to clear a house, rescuing one's family from the clutches of armed bad guys.
Invariably, when someone posts this part of the course, someone jumps all over them about how dangerous/useless/etc. this is. The scenario is set up in such a way as to leave no choice but to go in, not sit and argue about it, in order to build stress to allow you to assess how well you're able to perform (or not perform) under pressure, NOT to make you an elite SWAT team member or make anyone believe they are.
Old September 26, 2013, 03:04 PM   #38
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.j.
Quote:
We learned how to clear a house, rescuing one's family from the clutches of armed bad guys.
Invariably, when someone posts this part of the course, someone jumps all over them about how dangerous/useless/etc. this is. The scenario is set up in such a way as to leave no choice but to go in, not sit and argue about it, in order to build stress to allow you to assess how well you're able to perform (or not perform) under pressure, NOT to make you an elite SWAT team member or make anyone believe they are.
I agree. The real "take home" lessons from such simulator exercises should be: (1) solo clearing is an extremely dangerous activity to be avoided if at all possible; and (2) rarely it might be unavoidable, so one should know how to do it properly.

In addition, such simulator drills offer a useful exercise in gun handling, safely moving with a loaded gun in your hand, observation and target identification. And, as c. j., notes, one gets to do all that under stress.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 26, 2013, 05:47 PM   #39
FireForged

There are only so many ways to fight with a firearm and even less types of warrior mindsets. Honestly, I have never thought the subject was all that deep. I have always enjoyed learning from well experienced individuals who have nothing to gain from teaching me other than personal satisfaction. One on one works well for me and I have never been a "training academy" type.