The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 23, 2012, 06:01 PM   #26
JimPage

The gun I have in my hand while shooting is what I expected would be the perfect gun, but the gun I choose next will be the perfect gun.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old September 23, 2012, 06:30 PM   #27
cmoulton

Glocks aren't perfect?
Old September 23, 2012, 06:57 PM   #28
BigJimP

Not one of them is perfect....????

a. N frame S&W ...model 27 ...like a 4" ...is awful close to perfection...

b. K Frame S&W model 18 ( .22 ) is sure awful close...again in a 4"..or a model 17 I supppose...

c. A new Freedom Arms - large frame...5 shot single action revolver...is truly a piece of craftmanship that is hard to imagine it could get any better...in whatever caliber you want ( .357mag, .44 mag, .454 Casull, etc ..) but personally mine is in .357 mag and a 4 3/4" octagon barrel...its darn close to perfect...

d. Wilson Combat 1911's...especially their 5" guns....in 9mm or .45 acp...fit and finish is 2nd to none, triggers are spectacular (at least on mine ) ...and its hard to imagine they could get any smoother...

In my opinion ....all 4 of those examples...are perfect 10's....maybe not Bo Derek or Raquel Welch, or Gina Lollabrigida perfect ...but come on man...they're all pretty close....
Old September 23, 2012, 08:29 PM   #29
drail

Ask Gaston about perfect.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:37 PM   #30
Indi

Ok, if the g23 isn't perfection, then perfection must be the g26.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:47 PM   #31
mySig229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi View Post
Ok, if the g23 isn't perfection, then perfection must be the g26.
Absolutely not a SINGLE glock is even in the same area code as "perfection"
Old September 23, 2012, 10:11 PM   #32
45YearsShooting

I have both a Glock 19 and Glock 30. They are about the same size and weight, except the Glock 30 is thicker. For a defensive carry gun, I like the Glock 19 (gen 3) better. I've never handled another gun that naturally points so perfectly for me. The Glock 30 is a little too brick-like for me, both in the hand and on the belt. The slightly thinner Glock 19 is just perfect and easier to shoot accurately. Both are very accurate and have been 100-percent reliable with all ammo I've tried, and only weigh 21 oz. If there is a perfect defensive handgun for concealed carry other than the Glock 19, I don't even care. I've found mine.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:34 AM   #33
TennJed

Revolvers (DA and SA) Ruger by a mile........all I want and need they made or make.

Semi autos are a little harder. Big fan of Sig and CZ
Old September 24, 2012, 10:17 AM   #34
bird_dog

The closest I've come is my Ruger P345. Accurate, totally reliable, I can feed it anything, easy to take down and reassemble.

Not as pretty as my 1911s or revolvers, but otherwise perfect.
Old September 24, 2012, 11:08 AM   #35
Water-Man

If there were a perfect handgun, one thing is certain and that is someone on this forum would find fault with it.
Old September 24, 2012, 11:16 AM   #36
mySig229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
If there were a perfect handgun, one thing is certain and that is someone on this forum would find fault with it.
Of coarse someone would...like the gun would have a nice set of titties to squeeze when you're bored? FLAW. Lol
Old September 24, 2012, 11:16 AM   #37
aarondhgraham

K-frame .22's and .38's are close,,,

I started my current collection of handguns with a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece,,,
Since then I have amassed 33 more handguns of varying kinds and sizes.

My Model 15 is the one I always take to the range,,,
Along with her little sister Model 18.

A good K-frame S&W is as close as it gets for me.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 24, 2012, 11:47 AM   #38
windshear

mrt949 (post #20): I agree wholeheartedly, though my 4" Security Six is a few years newer than yours and my life considerably less interesting (thankfully).
Old September 24, 2012, 12:44 PM   #39
Winchester_73

Isn't the premise of this thread assumed off the bat? Kind of like saying "its only worth what someone will pay" or "you can't pay sales tax without first buying something".

I think the definition of "perfect" plays into this as well. Some would say pure and simple a perfect handgun doesn't exist. Others would say even a perfect handgun would have faults since they all do, so a zonk model 47 is pefect, but its perfect, only to them. Theres no answer.

"how many roads must a man walk down before you call him a man?"
Old September 24, 2012, 03:33 PM   #40
orionengnr

For my money, pre-Lock S&W 4" K-frames and N-frames in 4" and 5" varieties, and 1911s in Commander-ish slide/barrel sizes are about as good as it gets.
Old September 24, 2012, 03:43 PM   #41
BigJimP

Like this Freedom Arms ....I had made about 6 months ago....4 3/4" large frame 5 shot, in .357 mag...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...0&d=1339790943

Here is my Freedom Arms again ..next to a S&W model 27-2 in 4" Nickel ....357 mag.....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1340222605

both are about as darn near perfect as I can stand....

or some of my other S&W's in .357 mag....a couple of mod 19's 4" Nickel at right ...and a pair of mod 66's in 4" ....and another model 27 6" blued at left....hard to find any flaws in any of them either....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...5&d=1339792625

just saying....
Old September 24, 2012, 07:26 PM   #42
Corona

Because there is no perfect handgun....that's why we own several!

I have a S&W Model 10-4 with a 4" taper barrel that comes pretty dang close. Also have an SR9c that is so sweet to shoot...and a 22/45...and a High Standard Sentinel R-100 revolver. I love 'em all.

But I told my wife, if anything happens to me, sell them all except...

The S&W.
Old September 25, 2012, 12:16 AM   #43
RGS

Perfection

Well, since handguns come in calibers, my first decision has to be to choose the perfect caliber. For me, that is the .41 Rem. Mag. From there things get a little muddled.

The first .41 almost 20 years ago was a Ruger Blackhawk with 6 1/2" barrel. It was used and somewhat abused when I bought it, but has the nicest single action trigger I'd encountered, until the Freedom Arms gun came along a few years ago (also in .41). The truth is all my .41s are ideal for one thing or another. Depends on the task at hand.

Punching targets is ideal for the 8 3/8" M657.

The M657 Mountain Gun is the ideal holster gun.

The M357 is the ideal back or day pack gun.

The M58 is the ideal combat revolver.

The 3" M657 is the ideal BBQ gun.

The 4 5/8" Blackhawk is the perfect casual plinker.

The 7 1/2" Freedom Arms is the perfect gun to load hot and heavy for hunting and long range shooting.

There are a few Marlin 1894s in .41 mag. around here too, but they don't count in this discussion.
Old September 25, 2012, 03:20 AM   #44
Redhawk5.5+P+

Don't feed the Glock owners!

I to don't think of what model is the perfect handgun. I can't even think of which is my favorite "handgun" let alone perfect.

For there purpose, they all, if not most fit that bill of intended uses. I think it's not the word perfect, but most well rounded.
A .357mag comes to mind, but, which one is more well rounded than the other's? To me, it's my Ruger SP101 3". Carrie able, powerful, and tamable, also pretty (to me).

I'm kind of stigmatized by the Glock's from when they first came out. 30 years later or so, I'm a proud owner a Glock 20 SF (10mm).

TBS, the options that are available for that frame. Long slide, screw on comp's, flame hiders and silencers, 6.61" screw tipped barrel, 9X25 dillon drop in 6" barrel, 40cal drop in barrel, 357sig drop in barrel. 45cal slide, and a 460 Rowland kit (44mag power in a Glock). Time for me to hit another jackpot.
Time to go to school kids and find out more of this Glock, the best, most powerful Glock IN THE WORLD!
Old September 25, 2012, 06:07 AM   #45
Departed402

The perfect handgun would have the following attributes: automatic, light weight, no recoil, has the ability to mold to different hand sizes, reads your thoughts and knows when to fire itself so you don't have to worry about trigger control, and will hit the bad guy in a place causing instant incapacitation no matter where you're actually aiming.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:04 PM   #46
bedbugbilly

I think most of us suffer from the "addiction" of owning more than one handgun . . . and usually in more than one caliber. What's perfect for one person isn't for the next as we all have our own requirements. That being said . . I figure that if a person had to get rid of all of his handguns but one . which one would he choose to keep? The "keeper" might not fit all the points of being "perfect" . . . but for the individual, it probably would be the closest to being his "individual perfect handgun" . . . even though I'm sure it would lack something that he would wish for. In essence though . . . there can never be a "perfect handgun". We all have our own needs/tastes/requirements . . . and because of that, there will never be a "perfect" handgun, rifle, car, house or woman for that fact. I will add though though that I've been blessed in being married to a wonderful wife for 40 years who for me, is the closest thing to "perfect" . . . plus she puts up with my gun buying addiction.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 25, 2012, 06:07 PM   #47
SRH78

Of course there is no perfect handgun and that gives us an excuse to keep buying more. I guess my preference is my 6" GP 100. It fun to shoot, relatively affordable to shoot, versatile, and most importantly, I shoot it more accurately than any other handgun I own.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:47 PM   #48
old bear

I believe the P&R version of the S&W .357 magnum revolvers tend to meet most if not all of my needs. The K frame for carry, the L frame for carry/shooting, and the N frame for shooting hot loads.
Old September 27, 2012, 12:48 PM   #49
mrt949

Big JimP .What was the wating time for your FREEDOM ARMS.

Last edited by mrt949; September 28, 2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old September 27, 2012, 01:56 PM   #50
Archie

Perfect?

I'll have to throw in with the pinned barrel S&W K frame faction. I have a four inch M19 that does just about everything I ever need to do, and does it well. It even fits under a jacket or vest as needed.

Second place would go to the Colt Government Model and Commander (LW). For most purposes, that type of pistol works well.

But the original poster is correct; not one single handgun (or rifle or shotgun) does EVERYTHING best. And they all malfunction or break from time to time.

Heck, once in a while, my M19 misses a target on me.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/