The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 22, 2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Gary Slider

NM Drops VA and FL. _ OR Campus Carry

New Mexico has dropped Virginia & Florida as states it honors. VA does not require a Shooting Qualification and Fingerprints are not Mandatory. That is the word I got from the VA State Police for the reason VA was dropped. NM Is just stating Florida’s Requirements are not similar to New Mexico’s. From what I am hearing and seeing this may not be the last state that NM will drop. Time will tell. www.handgunlaw.us has been updated to show these changes in NM/VA/FL. It will be a few days before Steve can make the changes on the Create A Map Application to show the changes listed above. You can view New Mexico’s DPS Website and see the listings and reasons Here: http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/conc...ty-agreements/

I am getting feedback on the State Emergency Laws I added to each states page. Many of the entries are edited for length and feedback is making me look again at one or two paragraphs that should be added. Thanks to everyone who replied. It is very much appreciated. Also be aware that what I have for Emergency Laws is not complete. As I stated many were edited and there are most likely Administrative Rules that were adopted to comply with the Emergency Laws. ( My main point was to show if firearms could be restricted in any way in a declared emergency.

In Early March 2012 Oregon's State Board of Higher Education voted unanimously to ban all firearms on the system's seven campuses. Anyone who does any business on University property must agree not to carry any firearms. The policy allows people with Concealed Handgun License to be on campus but are barred from any Building or Arenas as they will be posted. Any Student/Facility or anyone who does business on University Property could be expelled from the property losing their student status or Job with the University System. Police and Military are exempt.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old March 22, 2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Thank you for all your good and worthy efforts!
Old March 22, 2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Axelwik

I live in New Mexico and have a license to carry. I think one should have to prove that they can reasonably fire a weapon before getting a license. We have to qualify every two years and that's fine with me.

If other states standards are inadequate then so be it. But I do think that there should be a mechanism for one to attain the right. Maybe national standards, National carry license, or reciprocity if standards are... "standardized."

As for Oregon I was under the impression that universities were off limits anyway. That's where I got my undergraduate degree and seem to remember a fiasco about some right-wing talking-head who refused to come to campus because he couldn't carry...?
Old March 23, 2012, 12:28 AM   #4
hermannr

AxelWik. Oregon Supreme Court threw out the campus carry prohibition, so now they rewrote their rules to affect only those that are students, employees, contractors etc... we will have to wait to see if the new "rules" are apealed or not. IMHO their board of higher education has overstepped again and it will be back in court.

As for your "requalification"..what part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand? WA has no training requirement...and that is just fine with me...never has been a problem. Like most states, most of the "accidental" or negligent discharges are by law enforcement anyway...and they get the most training...hum....( BTW: It's called personal responsibility here, one size does not fit all)
Old March 23, 2012, 07:34 AM   #5
cow0man

AxelWik,
This will also affect your CHL license as well, as I would expect that Fl and Va will reciprocate with not honoring the NM CHL. It has bigger implications than what you realize. You will probably see your list of states that honor NM CHL dwindle if NM continues down this path.
I will be straight forward that I am 100 % against making more regulation in order for one to maintain the CHL, as it becomes a cashcow for firearms instructors and the state and as such increases state revenue. I will also say that the role of Gov at all levels continually exceeds the powers in which they are granted.
Old March 23, 2012, 11:19 AM   #6
AH.74

Quote:
As for your "requalification"..what part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
No need to be confrontational.

There is no right to possess a state-issued concealed carry license. If you want one, you must do what they say. That's your choice.
Old March 23, 2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Don H

Axelwik, I believe New Mexico is also an open carry state. What requirements regarding competency would you institute to allow open carry if it were up to you? If there are generally no issues with those who open carry, why should there be greater competency requirements for those who conceal carry?
Old March 23, 2012, 02:08 PM   #8
Strafer Gott

Why pay for it?

In New Mexico you already have cc rights without any permit or process, but limited to your home, your business, any property you lease or rent, and your vehicle, to include even your bicycle. You can open carry most other places. Bars, places that sell liquor, are definitely off limits, so it's not quite the wild west.
Old March 23, 2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Axelwik

Obviously I have my way of thinking and you guys have yours.

Most people on this forum are likely responsible gun owners and carry a gun with respect, are safe, practice with their firearms, and are less likely to maim or kill someone by mistake. But like anything else, there are those who just don't give a flip.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but like it or not, when a gun hurts or kills someone it makes the news. This is bad publicity for those of us who like our guns (responsible gun owners), and it gives the anti-gun lobby more reason to pass draconian gun laws.

In my opinion if states/government eliminated all training requirements for concealed carry, incidents would increase and this whole (relatively recent) "experiment" with CCW could be eliminated. That's just my opinion - I'm keeping an eye on Arizona and other states that don't have any requirements.

On a similar note driving is hazardous enough as it is; do you think that we shouldn't require driver's licenses either?
Old March 23, 2012, 03:32 PM   #10
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelwik
On a similar note driving is hazardous enough as it is; do you think that we shouldn't require driver's licenses either?
Personally, I don't think the possession of a driver's license makes a person a safer driver. A number of states, depending on the driver's record, don't even require a driver to take a written examination for the renewal of their license. The last time I had a driving ability test with an examiner is on the order of half a century ago. So, what exactly does the little card in my wallet do for the safety of the public? Probably about as much as the other little card that allows me to CCW.

To ease back a bit closer to the thread topic, I do note, however, that the anti-RKBA elements have yet to manufacture a study that indicates that permit holders from those states that have a training requirement are 'safer' than those permit holders from states that don't have a training requirement. I'm sure if there were the slightest bit of evidence that it were so, there would be a push for rigorous training in the name of "public safety".
Old March 23, 2012, 03:58 PM   #11
noelf2

Having a drivers license is a privilege. Having/carrying a firearm is a "right" assured by our constitution. There is a difference.
Old March 23, 2012, 05:26 PM   #12
AH.74

Quote:
Having a drivers license is a privilege. Having/carrying a firearm is a "right" assured by our constitution. There is a difference.
Yes. But- according to state laws, carrying concealed in public is not part of that general right. You do not have the right to do so, without being licensed by the state.

Like it or not, agree with it or not- this is obviously how it is unless the Supreme Court strikes down the laws as unconstitutional. So far, it has not done that anywhere.

Quote:
I'm keeping an eye on Arizona and other states that don't have any requirements.
Actually, if you want Arizona's license there are requirements. 8 hours of classroom training and shooting qualifications.
Old March 23, 2012, 07:41 PM   #13
Axelwik

I don't think there are any requirements in Arizona as of last year.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...apons-law.html
Old March 23, 2012, 08:29 PM   #14
AH.74

Quote:
I don't think there are any requirements in Arizona as of last year.
Constitutional carry is in force there, yes. However, AZ still issues licenses which allow you to carry into areas that are off-limits without one. For the license there is still the same set of requirements there was prior to constitutional carry going into effect.
Old March 26, 2012, 12:07 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

A note for those who failed to notice: this thread is about New Mexico dropping reciprocity with a couple of other states. It is not a blank slate for "what part of shall not be infringed" rants. Stay on topic, or don't post here.
Old March 26, 2012, 08:18 PM   #16
KLRANGL

Just to clarify an earlier post, VA still plans to honor NM permits. I believe FL will also continue to honor NM permits...
Old March 26, 2012, 08:32 PM   #17
Gary Slider

FL will drop NM. FL will only honor anyone who honors them. In the past it only took FL 24 hours to remove a state that dropped them. VA will continue to honor NM as they have already stated that on their official Website.
Old March 27, 2012, 08:31 AM   #18
AH.74

Gary- according to the info you have, who is it in NM who actually makes these decisions? The very top brass in the DPS? Or do those individuals take directives from someone else? From what I understand DPS is still a department within the state police system.
Old March 27, 2012, 09:22 PM   #19
Willie Sutton

From the official Florida Dept of Agriculture website (the DOA issues licenses in Florida, go figure):

"March 26, 2012: NEW MEXICO removed from the list because New Mexico authorities terminated the agreement."

Willie

Old March 29, 2012, 11:52 AM   #20
Gary Slider

The DPS makes the decision after looking at the others laws.