The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 2, 2010, 02:35 AM   #1
CajunPowder

Availability, (backorder) - Uberti 1858 steel Remington New Army

I've been watching the expected arrival dates for Uberti steel frame 1858 New Army Remington revolvers at midway.com.

The last date posted was today, now. But that has once again been changed to as far out as 2011 for some of the models.

I wrote a note to Larry and he returned my note. He says he gets his information from somewhere and it changes, so ... there you have it.

It is what is, is.

Taylor's says there as much or more than 6 months out. All we can hope for is an Uberti christmas ... or a colt walker.
Old August 2, 2010, 07:09 AM   #2
c.robertson

I have a Uberti 1858 Remington Stainless Target model as new in box sighted on local auction. Looks like it may cost an arm and a leg to get. Key Word PLASTIC!!!

Was at Cabela's a couple days ago, 20 minutes late. Another guy got the Ruger blued Old Army BP revolver 99% in box, made in 1973 for $249.95.
Wish I had offered the guy $50.00 to just walk away from the sale. he was a first time BP shooter and not real confident in the purchase.

Last edited by c.robertson; August 2, 2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: clearification
Old August 2, 2010, 07:21 AM   #3
denster

I wonder if Uberti is doing an upgrade to their replica revolver line?
There are only two major players in this field. Pietta and Uberti. Sometime around the fall of 2009 Pietta upgraded their line and got rid of some of the annoying problems that made their guns somewhat less than Uberti out of the box. Recent Pietta guns I've received have been the equal of Uberti in finish and better in function and fit. Maybe Uberti is trying to recapture the lead. Possibly with some things like bone/case colors, full length straight arbors instead of their current taper system, better regulated sights, maybe gain twist rifling in the Remmies who knows. There has to be a reason behind the shortage in supply and this makes as much sense as anything.
Old August 2, 2010, 12:22 PM   #4
arcticap

Quote:
There are only two major players in this field.
I consider Euroarms to be a major manufacturer. Their Remington and Rogers & Spencer are both listed as being NSSA Approved and/or MLIAC Approved.
They also make Remington and R&S models featuring a Lothar Walther barrel, factory engraving or with a London Gray finish.
Euroarms doesn't currently offer any Colts but when it comes to Remingtons & cap & balls manufacturers, they're still one of the "Big 3" because they produce what the other Colt makers don't.

http://www.euroarms.net/Avancarica/A...Avancarica.htm

Last edited by arcticap; August 2, 2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old August 2, 2010, 12:45 PM   #5
CajunPowder

denster:

Something more than business as usual is happening at Uberti during their transition to Beretta ownership.

Recent Pietta quality at the Gonzales Cabelas was exceptional among Remington revolvers, even the brass.

"CF" date codes were available. An older blued target New Army .44 was still there, a good gun, an even better "CF" date code target model was behind the counter.

I spent all day there, 109 outside in the sun. The wildboar on wheat, LTO, was very good. Seasoning at the table has a touch of caraway, goes good with the elk I figure. The nice lady made a fresh pot of coffee at 9:00.

I looked at, (ran my checklist), on 5 steel frame NMA .44 in blued steel with 8" barrels. There was a single 5-1/2" blued remmie .44 in the glass case on the retail floor, nice but not exceptional. An additional single .44, blued, 8", was in the retail floor glass case. I only looked at Remmies while I was there.

There was an additional blued target model behind the counter.

"CF", (2010), models had an edge.

The Stainless Steel Target model in the front glass case, ($349.99 - internet price), was one of the best I've inspected. It was ready to be timed and put into use.

Uberti will have to make a good showing when they supply the Remington market again if they expect to maintain their higher prices.

I'm going to look sharply at Pietta production in the last half of 2010.

The employees at Cabelas, although busy throughout the day, were very helpful.

Out of all of those, only two locked up in Full Battery, (trigger depressed, hammer pulled back fully). Of those two, only one locked up in hammer down, half cock and full cock.

Last edited by CajunPowder; August 2, 2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old August 2, 2010, 01:27 PM   #6
denster

Cajun. That's good oinfo thanks for sharing.

Arcticap. I wasn't knocking Euroarms. Just posing a thought as to the shortage of supply of Uberti and Pietta's recent upgrade.
Old August 2, 2010, 02:27 PM   #7
arcticap

I know, I just don't want folks to forget about Euroarms being there.
Their revolver owners usually report being very satisfied.

Euroarms & Uberti dealer:

http://www.ssfirearms.com/