The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 1, 2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Joshua Smith

Dragoon conversion with loading gate?

Dear group,

I've neglected my Uberti 3rd Model Dragoon for some time now, due to the hassle of blackpowder.

However I was enthralled to see various companies offer conversion cylinders in .45LC for these wonderful pistols. However, with all of the ones I have seen, one would need to just about completely disassemble the gun to eject the spent cartridges and reload.

Would anyone know of a company or private gunsmith offering conversions with a loading gate?

I've seen it with the 1858 Remy, so I'm sure it would not be that difficult to produce.

Thanks for your help, folks!

Christus Vobiscum,
JRS
Old February 1, 2008, 06:32 PM   #2
long rider

You could ceck out the guns of the old west,
they show a lot of open top smokers.
its a cool mag for sa hand guns.

Sod Buster Tried To Pull On Willson.
Old February 1, 2008, 09:33 PM   #3
CraigC

Yep, two actually. R&D is run by Kenny Howell and ArmSport is run by R.L. Millington. Get ready for some sticker shock. Millington will only work on 2nd and 3rd generation Colt's and the conversions run about $1000 to $1300 with ejector. His lead time was 18months about a year ago when I emailed him. Far as I know, he is among the very best.

R&D, if the website prices are any indication, is much more affordable and they will do Italian replicas.

I'm hoping that the Italian replicas will catch up and start offering more Colt guns as cartridge conversions. We have the 1851 Navy and 1860 Army but I'd still like to see the little pocket guns as well as the big Walker and Dragoon models.

Both `smith's are well-reputed and have done custom guns for Tom Selleck. Both personal and movie guns. If you're interested in these guns I highly recommend Dennis Adler's book on the subject, "Metallic Cartridge Conversions".

http://www.randdgunshop.com/index.html

http://www.armsportllc.com/

Millington's work:
Old February 1, 2008, 09:59 PM   #4
long rider

CraigC that is one nice looking gun.

Old February 1, 2008, 10:44 PM   #5
Hawg

Kirst doesn't have a kit for a Dragoon on their site but they do custom work also. Any full conversion is going to require smith work.
Old February 2, 2008, 05:03 PM   #6
mykeal

Hmmm.

Quote:
CraigC that is one nice looking gun.
You are entitled to your opinion, and with some apologies to my elders who would say that, if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing, and also with respect,

That is the strangest looking thing I've seen in a long, long time, and I've been to at least two county fairs and my share of goat ropings...

You are welcome to it, I won't compete for it and drive up the price.
Old February 2, 2008, 06:07 PM   #7
long rider

MYKEAL not sure what you mean with your remark.

Old February 2, 2008, 07:44 PM   #8
CraigC

I'm not sure what was intended with that statement either but it is at least partially authentic. Not sure about the Walker because so few were made but you can be sure that through the 1870's every model of Colt percussion revolver was converted to fire cartridges. Including the Dragoon models. I love `em!

Last edited by CraigC; February 3, 2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old February 2, 2008, 08:01 PM   #9
grymster2007

Quote:
We have the 1851 Navy and 1860 Army but I'd still like to see the little pocket guns
I've had an R&D 32 S&W conversion cylinder for a Pietta 1863 Pocket Remington on order from Taylor's for about two months. Don't know when R&D will deliver, but with the dollar's decline against the Euro, I probably should order the gun soon. I'll want it regardless there's a conversion cylinder available.

Mykeal,

C'mon, git yur panties out of a wad. Don't let what other people do with their guns affect you.
Old February 2, 2008, 08:07 PM   #10
long rider

Ok lets clear things up .
When i said craig c that is one nice looking gun,
i took it for been your conversion gun craig c.
I looked up millingtons work and saw the same
picture, maybe i was wrong, thinking it was your
gun craig c.
But i would not bad mouth anybodys gun, maybe
i took it the wrong way.

Old February 2, 2008, 08:10 PM   #11
CraigC

No that one's not mine (I wish!). I just found a cartridge converted Walker on Millington's site and posted the picture. Sorry for any confusion in that regard.
Old February 2, 2008, 09:03 PM   #12
RJM

I love these conversions, I picked up an Uberti 1851 conversion in .38 special. Not really the most historically correct chambering, but it sure is a fun gun. I would really like a Patterson conversion myself, chambered in .44-40 or .45 colt, if it would be possible.
Old February 3, 2008, 12:07 AM   #13
mykeal

What I meant was, I did not like how it looked. It's one man's opinion, just as was the statement,
Quote:
that is one nice looking gun.

One guy said he liked it, and one guy said he didn't. No panties in a wad, no rant, and no lack of clarity.

I didn't say I hated it, I didn't say it was ugly, or an abomination, or, as I was once told by a marshal at a rendevous, "Get the H... out of here with that crap!" And I didn't say it was not historically correct (as if that somehow makes it appealing).

I thought I was being rather nice in apologizing for not expressing a positive response about something I personally don't find appealing.

CraigC - were there really cartridge converted Patersons in the 1870's? I learn something new every day.
Old February 3, 2008, 01:16 AM   #14
CraigC

Quote:
were there really cartridge converted Patersons in the 1870's?
Pick up Dennis Adler's book. There's an R.L. Millington replica and a picture of the original from R.L. Wilson's book on page 164. The original was converted sometime in the 1870's and is on display in Woolaroc Museum in Bartlesville, Oklahoma.
Old February 3, 2008, 02:23 AM   #15
Hawg

I think it's cool, I like conversions.
Old February 3, 2008, 08:18 AM   #16
mykeal

CraigC - thank you. I will do that.