The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2015, 04:14 PM   #1
souther33

30-30 help

I am loading some 30-30 for a friend and am using 150gr FN Sierra and can only find data on RN. Will RN data be ok to use for FN projectiles. i have tried to get my hands on a Sierra book but everyone who would have one is closed for Easter holiday. Dose anyone have Sierra data available. I am using ramshot TAC powder.
Old April 4, 2015, 04:27 PM   #2
William T. Watts

This info is from Sierra reloading manual 4th edition!

IMR3031 Min 27.5gr Max 31.1gr
IMR4895 Min 28.9gr Max 31.7gr
IMR4064 Min 28.7gr Max 32.2gr

FC cases were used with WLR Primers!

These are commonly used powders for the 30/30 with 150gr Sierra FN Bullets!! If you interested in another powder I'll try to help!!

Sorry, Ramshot is not one of the powders listed in the Sierra manual, I believe Ramshot Tac to be a double base (ball powder), I have no experience with this powder so I'm not going to be able to help you.. If you decide to use the Ramshot Tac powder I would suggest you go to the manufactures website for confirmation what the minimum and max load for this powder is for the 30/30. If it isn't listed you can be reasonable sure this powder isn't suitable for your friends 30/30.. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; April 4, 2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old April 4, 2015, 05:01 PM   #3
souther33

TAC powder

TAC powder is on ramshots website for 30-30 but only for a RN... Figures
Old April 4, 2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Paul B.

Let's keep this simple. You can use the round nose data with your flat nose bullets. OK? Bullet weight for both is the same. Just start with the lowest loads and carefully work up. Shouldn't be any problem at all.
Paul B.
Old April 5, 2015, 05:21 PM   #5
souther33

RN vs FN velocity

I would think that the RN would be faster then the FN so if using the same charge as the RN would the FN be slower?
Old April 5, 2015, 05:38 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

No. The round nose is more aerodynamically shaped than a flat nose, so it loses velocity to air drag more slowly once it is out of the muzzle. But inside the barrel, it is just an accelerating mass that responds to the accelerating force of the pressure behind it without regard to its shape. This is why, in theory, same weight bullets should all work with the same powder charges.

In practice, however, not all bullets have the same jacket thickness or hardness, affecting how much start pressure is needed to get them swaged into the rifling. They aren't all the same density or shape, so the amount of room they take away from the powder space under them differs, also affecting pressure. So while the theory says they should use the same charge, the reality is that changing bullets (or primers, or cases, or even powder lot numbers sometimes) can alter pressure enough that you always want to go down to the starting loads listed and work up slowly, watching for signs of pressure.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 18, 2015, 02:31 PM   #7
Will-j

.30-30 help

Unclenick; You're correct. Though I've often found that round nosed bullets in most calibers are sometimes more accurate than their spitzer counterparts. Also, the longer body length of some bullets in the same caliber/weight can/will increase friction and therefore increase pressures. I've alleviated that problem to some extent by adding extra cannelures to some of those bullets (HORNADY FTXs in .308 and .44 cal.; GMXs in 7MM and .308cal. and. to some boat tails which have a habit of core/jacket separation) with a CORBIN CANNELURE tool.
Takes time, patience, and diligence in adjustment to keep all spacing precise, but in the end it's worth it. I messed up a few in learning to set up the tool correctly but the results were a lot better than I expected. Accuracy was not affected to any great degree (for hunting loads/purposes, and velocities increased in some by a few FPS, but the best thing was that the boat tails stayed together more and drove deeper when fired into soaked newspaper. I can't understand why the manufacturers don't do the same to their boat tails.
WILL
Old April 18, 2015, 04:51 PM   #8
green_MTman

i cant see any problem is using RN data for FN bullets,if anything the FN would be lower in pressure.always reduce by 5% and work back up with "ANY" bullet change.

P.S most people i know dont bother to reload the 30-30,it does not need great accuracy
Old April 19, 2015, 06:52 AM   #9
Salmoneye

Quote:
P.S most people i know dont bother to reload the 30-30,it does not need great accuracy
Regardless of caliber, 'most people' don't bother to reload period...

As with most other calibers, there are a number of reasons to reload for the .30-30; only one of which is 'accuracy'...
Old April 19, 2015, 09:52 AM   #10
green_MTman

yes very very true
Old April 20, 2015, 05:33 AM   #11
LE-28

Especially with an old Winchester 94 that has a long chamber like so many of them had. Then it becomes head spacing on the shoulder in stead of head spacing on the deep cut rim area, to get much better accuracy.
Now we are into strictly a reloading issue to fix accuracy issues.

But that's not what the OP asked so I'll shut up now.
Old April 20, 2015, 07:44 AM   #12
TimSr

You didn't mention what powder you are using. If you ever question your data source, look at another one such as the powder mfg's website.
Old April 20, 2015, 08:38 AM   #13
Jim Watson

Speer is honest about it, they show all bullets of the same weight over the table of load data for that weight. They even let you load 165 gr spitzers the same as 170 gr flatpoint (Assuming you know how to manage pointed bullets in a .30-30.) Amazing.

I would want specific data for a solid copper bullet, but the conventional cup and core bullets do not inform the powder charge what the nose shape is.
Old April 21, 2015, 08:56 AM   #14
Will-j

Re: Speer is honest about it

JIM W: What SPEER does not tell you in their reloading data is [that] they show the load data only for the bullet which has the greatest friction coefficient and the resulting highest pressure for that particular weight group, and that each individual bullet may have separate powder/weight load data.
I asked them 'why so' years ago and I was told [that] it would be too costly to test each bullet individually, so they lumped them together and listed the powder/weight data for the bullet with the highest pressure readings and therefore the other bullets would be safe to load too. That's why the heavier 170gr FP bullet (less friction) included in the lighter 165gr (higher friction)spritzer.
This was back in the late '80s, and I don't think it has changed since.
WILL.

Last edited by Will-j; April 21, 2015 at 09:05 AM.