The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2009, 04:50 PM   #1
mwsp

which primers?

I'm brand new getting into reloading and want to make my first batch of .308. I got my press, powder, bullets, but what primers? On the bottle of powder it says to use federal 210 with 150 gr Nos. BT, but when I go to the Hodgdons website it doesn't list primers for any other loads. The one I was looking at was:

165gr Hornady SP - 41 grains of Hodgdon H4895 powder - but which primer?
Old February 13, 2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Sport45

If stores in your area are the same as aound here you can't be real choosy about primers. Any large rifle primer should light off H4895 just fine. What kind of rifle? If it's a M1A you might want to avoid the more sensitive primers (Federal).
Old February 13, 2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Shoney

mwsp

WELCOME TO TFL!!!

If you look on the top right of the load data page, you will see an E-Mail button. If you e-mail yourself a copy of that data page, it will include primer and other information which you cannot view on the data page.

Good shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 13, 2009, 05:35 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
On the bottle of powder it says to use federal 210 with 150 gr Nos. BT, but when I go to the Hodgdons website it doesn't list primers for any other loads.
The load you cited does appear to be a decent starting load. However;

Always remember, the loads listed on the bottle are MAXIMUM loads. Reduce by 10% and work back up. Many people seem to ignore the note on the bottle about it.

41 grains of H4895 should ignite with any standard large rifle primer. Magnums will work, but could be a bit of overkill.

Get a reloading manual! There are notes and cautions about cartridges, powders, primers... all kinds of things you may need to be aware of. There is no replacement for a good manual. Hodgdon's site is a great resource for comparison, but not even close to a substitute for having a good book in your hand.
Old February 13, 2009, 06:08 PM   #5
VonFireball

Quote:
Magnums will work, but could be a bit of overkill.
I always use magnums when reloading 308 stuff. Couldn't think of a good reason why not.

I've always had good luck with Remington 9 1/2 magnum primers, 748 winchester powder and 165 grain hornady boattail spitzers (a bit cheaper than sierras).
Old February 13, 2009, 06:13 PM   #6
mwsp

Thanks guys. The rifle is a Sako 85 S. Any suggestions for a good reloading manual? I looked at Bass Pro and all they had was a Hornady manual, and suprise, it only has loads for Hornady bullets.

http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/w...rrent=sako.jpg
Old February 13, 2009, 06:19 PM   #7
mwsp

Nevermind about the manual, I just searched it and found plenty of suggestions.
Old February 13, 2009, 06:38 PM   #8
firewrench044

The type of primer may be influaced by what you are loading for
If you will be loading with ball powder or for very cold weather
you should consider a magnum primer
Just remember to reduce the max load because of the hotter magnum primer

Because I load for some military rifles I use CCI # 34s, and to reduce my inventory of primers, I now use them in all my large rifle applications
308, 30-06, 303, 7.92X57, 7.62X54R 6.5X55

As you can see there are many things that will influance your choice
of primers
Old February 13, 2009, 06:55 PM   #9
warnerwh

Different primers will affect accuracy too. They will also affect pressures.

When working up a load try more than one brand if you want the best accuracy. Ditto for powder and bullets.
Old February 13, 2009, 07:30 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

The Federal Primers are milder than some. Unless, as suggested, you are going for very cold weather loads, the 210's will be fine. If you use anything else, like a magnum primer, knock the load down a couple more grains and work up watching for pressure signs.

The reason for milder primers is better accuracy in some platforms. When the primer is milder it has less influence on peak pressure or on how much powder has burned when the bullet starts out, leaving it to the reloader to control that with powder charge. This is why you often see more spread in velocity reported with warmer primers. The benchrest shooters push it to another level by getting cases made with small rifle primers with extra small flashholes, even though the case head size is normally fitted for large rifle. All that said, though, you really have to be shooting better than half moa to stand much of a chance of seeing the difference in most guns.

As long as you work the load up for accuracy with the primer you intend to use, it is usually possible to do pretty well. As mentioned, the magnum primers can improve cold weather performance (that's why the military uses them) and can ignite ball powders with more efficiency. If you use Winchester 748, for example, you might consider the Federal 215M primer, which is a match grade magnum primer. That can help a bit with consistency.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle