The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 29, 2010, 04:27 AM   #1
K Bob

Rifle Stocks

Has anyone used Richard's microfit gunstocks out of Sun Valley,Ca. I need a stock for my mauser build.
Old April 29, 2010, 08:59 AM   #2
SCcdp

Ordered a stock for a build I was doing for a friend a few years ago. After charging for the stock and telling us it would be a few months we waited and waited and waited. Had to request the money back after a little over six months if I recall correctly.
Old April 29, 2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Scorch

I use Richards MicroFit stocks a lot, but it has gotten so that their lead time to get a standard stock is ridiculous, they claim 12 weeks, it's usually much longer (16 weeks or so). The last one I got took over 4 months, and it was screwed up so I sent it back, and I went to the back of the line again. They would not replace the stock, they wanted to credit me for the stock. I told them I needed the stock, so they sold me an un-inletted blank. You guessed it, 4 months later I got my stock. It's well made, but it took forever to get it.
Quote:
After charging for the stock and telling us it would be a few months we waited and waited and waited. Had to request the money back after a little over six months if I recall correctly.
Richards usually does not charge your card until the stock ships.

If you want a good stock for a fair price, delivered in about 10 weeks, try Great American Gunstocks.
www.gunstocks.com
Old April 29, 2010, 12:36 PM   #4
K Bob

Thanks for the info.I'm going to look around a little more.
Old April 29, 2010, 01:19 PM   #5
SCcdp

Quote:
Richards usually does not charge your card until the stock ships
That may be so but they sure did on this one...
Old May 5, 2010, 03:42 PM   #6
apr1775

I've ordered several stocks from Richard's, mostly for Mausers. They've always been good to me, although mine have all been off their shelf, ready to ship, no custom making.
Old May 5, 2010, 10:18 PM   #7
plainsman456

I use a lot of them.Some say that they have too much wood to remove,but I don't mine that just maks a better fit.
They grain has been real good also.
Old May 6, 2010, 02:05 AM   #8
Big Shrek

I use Boyd's stocks. they've got some pretty darn good deals...and if you ever need one for a marlin 60 or 795, email them and they'll let you know when the next run is going to come out about 48-72 hrs before it htis the webbsite...

Be warned, those Marlin 60/795 stocks are gone within 24-72 hrs of being posted. They sell THAT fast.
Old May 12, 2010, 08:08 PM   #9
50of4064

Richards, like there work.

I have two stocks from them and like there work, both were Mauser actions and they turned out nice, fully bedded and free floated. One in Walnut and the other in Laminate.
I live in SO CAL and it just means taking the drive, this eliminates a lot of headaches.
Old May 13, 2010, 09:38 AM   #10
apr1775

Great gunstock wood and great wine; California has a couple good things going for it.
Old March 20, 2011, 01:42 AM   #11
Geezerbiker

Three weeks ago I ordered a stock from Richards Microfit that was supposed to be in stock and would ship in 2 to 4 days. Almost a month past and I got to wondering what was going on so I called them Friday afternoon hoping someone would answer my questions. To my surprise, their phone has been disconnected.

I can only assume they're out of business or have terrible business practices. I called my credit card company and they're processing a charge back. I was told that I would be 100% covered. I would have rather had the stock...

Anyway I'm looking at a stock on the Boyds site now. Anybody know if they're reliable when they promise to ship in 1 or 2 days? Boyds stocks on Midway have good feed back but are 30% more money...

Tony
Old March 20, 2011, 11:58 AM   #12
sir_n0thing

I just started a thread on this exact topic... wondering how Richards Microfit Stocks are.
I guess Geezerbiker answered my question!
Old March 20, 2011, 01:26 PM   #13
Geezerbiker

I don't know if Richards stock are any good these days or even if they're still in business but I can't see risking sending them any money if they can't even keep the phone line working... I guess I'm going to try a Boyds stock and hope for the best...

Tony
Old March 20, 2011, 01:47 PM   #14
sir_n0thing

I sent them an email asking if they are still open for business... will report back if I get any response.
Old March 20, 2011, 03:13 PM   #15
Scorch

If you call their number, it sounds like Richards MicroFit is still in business. The recording you get when you call them says that "all lines are busy or in use at this time", same as it has for the past 10 years.

Although they do have some inventory items, Richards does not generally ship from stock, they make stocks to order from pre-shaped blanks. If you order something unusual, it takes longer. They are a small, family-run business (have been for over 40 years), and they don't have a bunch of people sitting aaround to answer the phone, they make money by shipping stocks, not talking to people on the phone. Delivery has always been kinda spotty, more so over the past 10 years since they started making stocks for some of the semi-custom/production rifle builders.
Old March 20, 2011, 06:39 PM   #16
sir_n0thing

I'm hoping.
They have what I'm looking for, according to their website, at a reasonable price.
Old March 20, 2011, 07:08 PM   #17
Geezerbiker

I just tried again and their phone is back up. I guess they decided to pay their phone bill over the weekend. Friday and Saturday the number at the top of their order and contact page was disconnected.

I ordered a Cascade Classic stock rather than the thumb-hole stock I would have preferred because they told me they had the Cascade Classic for the Mauser 98 in stock and would ship by the end of the week (I ordered it on Monday afternoon.)

When I called to check up on it 3 weeks later, their phone was disconnected. What would you think in that situation?

Tony
Old March 22, 2011, 12:50 PM   #18
sir_n0thing

Understandable!

Sent from my GSBv1.8.1 ERIS using Tapatalk
Old March 23, 2011, 05:03 AM   #19
Geezerbiker

The credit card company refunded my money and I put a little with it and bought a Boyds thumb-hole stock. I'll post back when it gets here. Let's see if they deliver on their promise to ship within 2 business days...

Tony
Old March 24, 2011, 04:48 PM   #20
Geezerbiker

Update

I just got an eMail shipping notice from Boyds' so it looks like everything is a go so far. I'm really looking forward to finishing my 09 Argentine project. It's had a reworked military stock for way too long...

Tony
Old April 1, 2011, 06:14 PM   #21
Geezerbiker

Boyds' shipped my stock when they said they would. It arrived and exceeded all expatiations. I bought a salt & pepper laminated varmint stock even though this is a deer rifle. I'm a big guy and I like the way the varmint fore end fits my left hand. Other than the fore end, the stock is the same shape as their thumb hole sporter.

My 09 Argentine Mauser dropped right in and the fit of the rifle to the stock is nearly perfect. The front end of the floor plate assembly is a tiny bit too long to fit the in letting but too small of an amount to complain about. Actually I expected to have much more work to get it dialed in so this is a pleasant surprise. There also looks like there is more than enough space to install a custom trigger when I get to that point. The next step after fitting the floor plate will be rebluing then glass bedding.

All in all I couldn't be more happy with my purchase. My only regret is alienating Richards Microfit. As I said before, when the phone was disconnected, I immediately jumped to the conclusion that they were belly up...

Tony
Old April 15, 2011, 10:33 PM   #22
Colorado Redneck

Richards Stocks

I ordered a stock from Richards a few months ago, and when it arrived it turned out that I goofed and ordered the wrong one. Called Richards, and talked to a nice lady who told me to send it back in the box it arrived in, enclose a check for a few dollars (can't recall how much but not much) and they would exchange it. Did what she said, and presto! A few weeks later the replacement arrived. I have been fooling with it, sanding, inletting, and next is pillar bedding. Seems to be a nice fit, and should look good after I get done. Given that I was the one who made the mistake, it was real neighborly of them to do what they did. I plan to buy another one this summer.