The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 10:29 PM   #76
Deaf Smith

Favorite N frames...

629-2 'Mountain Gun' and 625-3 .45 ACP snub.

These definitely are my two!

But in the woods I tend to use my 4 inch 629-3 (plain jane.) .44 Magnum with a 240gr SWC at 1000 fps.

Deaf
Old February 12, 2013, 10:52 PM   #77
Tom Servo
Staff

I have to choose a favorite? That implies that some of my N-Frames are somehow deficient in comparison to the others.

...and that's just quitter talk, son!

Model 28

Model 27
Old February 13, 2013, 02:37 AM   #78
nate45

Tom Servo

That Highway Patrolman is nice, but the 3.5 inch Model 27/Model of 1950 is one of the meanest/scariest looking handguns ever. The barrel profile combined with frame size and cylinder wall thickness, just give it that je ne sais quoi.

I took this pic with my lap top cam back in 2008 for a thread about what the scariest/most intimidating handgun was. Its my nickel 3.5" S&W Model of 1950 .357 Magnum. If it doesn't intimidate ones adversary, its got six .357 Magnums ready to do its talking for it.

Look how thick those cylinder walls are, no worries about shooting the most powerful loads in there.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:00 PM   #79
edfrompa

Your never too old to learn. What is the difference between the L and N frame. Not to get off topic. Just curious.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:05 PM   #80
tomrkba

L-Frame: "Medium" sized. Example models are the 586 and 686.
N-Frame: "Large" sized. Examples are in this thread.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:00 PM   #81
mj246

I personally prefer J and K frames over N frames because of my smallish hands, but I do love my 1917. I have never seen anything made within the past 20 years with the fit, finish, and class of this 90+ year old warhorse.

Old February 13, 2013, 09:02 PM   #82
kcub

Isn't an L frame a K frame with an underlug?
Old February 14, 2013, 04:58 AM   #83
Sevens

I know there are a dozen guys active in this thread that can answer better than I can... (but that won't stop me! )

The K-frame's were the original .38 Special guns. They made -millions- of them. When the .357 Magnum arrived, it came in the BIG frame guns...the N-frames.

Bill Jordan and others urged, begged & pleaded with Smith & Wesson to chamber the rip-snortin' .357 Magnum in the .38-sized K-frame. As uniformed police officers, the idea was to practice with .38's, but carry heavy .357 Magnum loads on duty.

The K-frame magnums were much easier for a duty cop to wear on his belt day in, day out, all day long. But when folks started shooting a LOT of full-bore .357 Magnum ammo through them, the guns took a lot of abuse. And when higher velocity and lighter bullet .357 Magnum performance ammo arrived on the scene, these lighter bullet loads really started tearing up the K-frame guns. The bulk of the propellant flame was blasting at it's peak as the shorter bullet was leaving the cylinder, and the full force of that flame was eating at forcing cones and top straps like a plasma cutting torch.

In 1980, the L-frame was released. The areas that faced the most stress from full-bore .357 Magnum rounds were all beefed up. But they designed the gun to use the grip frame of the very familiar and much loved K-frame.

So the L-frame revolver is "medium" sized, between the K and N frame, but the grip is the familiar K-frame. Many of us feel that the L-frame is just exactly right. And yes, the L-frames do have full under lug barrels. But a few K-frames and some of the N-frames have those also.

When you've only worked with a bunch of K-frames and an L-frame or two... every N-frame feels massive in comparison.
Old February 14, 2013, 05:02 AM   #84
mj246

I'm no expert by any means, but I believe that the L frame is a "beefed up" K frame in all respects except for grips. While they do have full underlugs, I think they are slightly longer and wider in the frame (forward of the grip area) and cylinder to add extra thickness to the frame, forcing cone, and cylinder walls.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong or missing another difference.