The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 27, 2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Apom

Eye & Ear protection for the ranges?? Buying my own...

So I’m heading out to a indoor range this Friday for the very first time to try out by CZ. I’m going to take a few hundred rounds of different ammo types.. Anyways..here are my questions…

I’d like to buy my own eye wear and hearing protection. I’ve heard the ranges charge a rental fee for each piece. Forums are a great source of info for guns, ammo, training etc... But I hardly see anyone talking about these types of accessories.

I’ve seen eye safety glasses selling for like 12.00 bucks at Gander and Walmart...do these cheap-end products actually stop anything or just a waste of money?? Also, my hearing is getting worse and worse so I’m definitely in the market for something other then plugs.
Old August 27, 2007, 10:14 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I wear Thomas-Leight earplugs. Over that, I have accustomed myself in wearing the Peltor Tactical 6-S ear muffs. I wear ball caps when I shoot to help with the glare and brass protection. These earmuffs are nice to wear because they wrap around the back instead of over my hat. Also, with the stereo noise cancellation, it's nice to be able to carry on a normal conversation at a reasonable voice level and still be protected by a stray gunfire...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 27, 2007, 10:17 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Forgot to add...

My wife works for a Toro distributer and is also a authorized dealer for Stihl. They have the best safety glasses that fit my fat head.
Product: Black Widow
Part#: 7010-884-0307
Lens Color: I/O
Frame Color: Black

Hope this helps...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 28, 2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Tempest45

Not sure about glasses, but for ear protection, you want to get the highest dB rating you can find. Every 3 dB increase is a doubling of the sound intensity. I think I saw a muf with a 31 or 32 dB rating (reduction) the other day, but forgot what it was. Go no less than a 30 dB rating.

Mufs work better than plugs IMHO. They help to prevent sound transfer to the ear through the skull. Doubling up is always good.
Old August 28, 2007, 11:57 AM   #5
PaulBk

Indoors, I wear 26dB foam plugs under my electronic ears.

My safety glasses are high $, but that is by choice. The extra money provides comfort and distortion free lenses. Many other less expensive ones will work just as well.

-Paul
Old August 28, 2007, 01:08 PM   #6
sectshun8

Quote:
Mufs work better than plugs IMHO. They help to prevent sound transfer to the ear through the skull. Doubling up is always good.
I agree. I generally wear plugs underneath my 30db muffs. Really helps.
Old August 28, 2007, 10:13 PM   #7
PPGMD

I prefer plugs, in particular plugs with breaker ports that allow normal conversation while blocking impulse noises. I used the Peltor DOD approved set (yellow/green), worked well though they were hard to put in, I have recently switch over to the Surefire EP-3 plugs.

At my indoor range where muffs are required I just wear my Peltor Tac 6, it works fairly well, not the best, not the worst, and it has the eletronic for outputing noises, that is ok, but I rarely need to use it as there is little conversation in the range other then competition related ("Nod your head when your ready" "Shooter's ready" *BEEP*). We just go into the shop area to talk.