The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 11, 2002, 06:14 AM   #1
jimmy

Imported German P1 holsters

I notice that a lot of black leather full-flap holsters are being imported now from Germany and sold with Walther P1's or P38's.

Are these military holsters or police holsters? (It's implied that they were originally issued to the same organizations as the pistols, but I don't know this for sure.)

Does anyone know a good on-line source that sells these holsters, preferably in excellent condition and separately from the pistols?

TIA.
Old October 11, 2002, 03:21 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

As was usually the case from the early 1900's, there is no real difference between most German military and police holsters.
One was useable for both, and they were considered interchangeable.
This is especially the case with the full-flap type holsters used post-war.
There was no real need for different design holsters, so the same one was used for both.

This did begin to change with the start of the "terrorist wars" of the 1970's. Some German police organizations began to use more modern "combat type" holsters, without the full-flap, although they were still of a type that most American departments
would have refused to use.

For better condition holsters, there are a number of "replica" holsters sold by, among others International Military Antiques.

For original post-war holsters, I'd contact some of the companies selling the current P-1's and ask for a better condition one.
I think SOG sells the holsters separate, and would probably sell you what you want.
Old October 12, 2002, 10:22 AM   #3
jimmy

Thanks for the info.

Another question that occurs to me is whether a P1 holster sold in the same box as a P1 pistol has any particular relation to the gun, such as by date of manufacture or serial number. It seems to me that there is no match-up, but instead holsters and guns are packaged randomly for marketing purposes. Can anyone confirm?
Old October 12, 2002, 08:22 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

From what I've seen in the past, there is no corelation in holster and gun.
Back in the late 80's there was an influx of Walther P-4's. I saw new guns with fairly used holsters, and well used guns with like new holsters.

I suspect they boxed a gun, and just grabbed a holster from a bin full of them.

It seems to be the same situation now with the P-1's.
Old February 29, 2008, 03:50 PM   #5
crazy charlie

B MEYER Holster

I have a holster that appears to be a P-38 early post war.
It is marked 12-120-6169
B MEYER GRONAU
In smaller letters below this is 150.
The inside of the flap has two strips of leather that appear to be some sort of reinforcement.
Can you tell me anything about it like it's age or date of use.
I forgot, it's black leather.
Old February 29, 2008, 05:07 PM   #6
AK103K

I've seen the current P1 holsters on EBay for pretty cheap. Many look to be new and unissued. The one what came with my P1 was in well used and abused shape.

If you'd prefer the flectarn nylon type, Sprotsmans Guide has them for I think it was $15, or in that vicinity. You need to get a USGI adapter for them though, as they use the German type attachment. These holsters are OK, but not really all that great.

If your looking for a nice repro P38 holster for a reasonable price, check out Pacific Canvas and Leather (www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/holsters.htm)

They have have some nice stuff.

I just got this one for my P1. Its in dark brown. Its very well made and fits perfectly.