The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old August 5, 2011, 05:16 PM   #1
SouthTXCrackshot

African Ape Hunt

Is it illegal to hunt the great apes of Africa? I always wanted to go hunt them. On a serious note Id also like to see what caliber you would use. Thanks

John
Old August 5, 2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Rembrandt

Good question.....I'd like to know as well. Kinda doubt they are hunted, after the publicity Koko the sign language ape got you'd probably be charged with a heinous crime towards humanity. Heck, even Tarzan protected the apes and considered them family....that would be quite an image to overcome.
Old August 5, 2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Buzzcook

The large mountain gorillas are endangered, so are Orangutans.
Not sure about chimpanzees or banoboes. Threatened if not endangered.

Baboons might not be endangered.

Any common rifle cartridge will kill them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUCN_Re...ia%29#Primates
Old August 5, 2011, 05:55 PM   #4
2damnold4this

I think baboons are monkeys, not apes.
Old August 5, 2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Pahoo

Wonder why I never thought ot that ???

Why would I want to shoot an animal that shares 98% of "our" generic make up? Now, just like anything else that was after my butt, I'd shoot, in self protection. Would you eat it or just hang him on the wall? Don't get me wrong, nothing has a right to live forever but these guys are not on my bucket list. Now, the illusive Saber-Tooth Chipmunk, is a different story. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old August 5, 2011, 06:58 PM   #6
JACK308

I have KILLED many SABAR TOOTH chipmonks.
Old August 5, 2011, 10:03 PM   #7
armoredman

I do not believe it is legal to hunt the great apes anywhere, but poachers go after them a lot. Baboons I saw in the PI, and would hunt them from inside a tank.
Old August 5, 2011, 10:48 PM   #8
JerryM

It is a puzzle to me why anyone would want to kill one. However, they are protected so one cannot legally take one.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old August 6, 2011, 02:06 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Why would I want to shoot an animal that shares 98% of "our" generic make up? Now, just like anything else that was after my butt, I'd shoot, in self protection. Would you eat it or just hang him on the wall?
Why not hunt them?

On the one hand, it's another animal to add to your 'portfolio'.

On the other hand... (If you're into this kind of thing) It's as close as you can get, to legally hunting a human.

As for me... If I had an opportunity to hunt one of the Great Apes; I would eat it. $5 says it tastes just like Human. ...I mean chicken... err.. Pork!
Old August 6, 2011, 02:10 AM   #10
egor20

Quote:
$5 says it tastes just like Human. ...I mean chicken... err.. Pork!
Google "long pork"...erm I mean "long rattlesnake"

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old August 6, 2011, 06:43 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
On the other hand... (If you're into this kind of thing) It's as close as you can get, to legally hunting a human.
From a genetic stand point yes, but I can't imagine they'd be very difficult to hunt.

Back the OP, I can't imagine that hunting the great apes is legal any place.
Old August 6, 2011, 06:55 AM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Gorillas and orangutans are protected by international treaty. By and large they seem to be quite gentle creatures and not given to hostility unless cornered and frightened. Other than negotiating the habitat, hunting either of them would be all the challenge of walking a rancher's large pasture and shooting a cow.

Mature male chimpanzees and baboons can be and have been quite hostile to any sort of intruder. As far as speed, strength and teeth, don't do hand-to-hand combat with either.
Old August 6, 2011, 08:04 AM   #13
gaseousclay

Quote:
It is a puzzle to me why anyone would want to kill one. However, they are protected so one cannot legally take one.
Jerry
I share your sentiment. I don't want to get into an ethical/moral debate with anyone but it just seems wrong to hunt and kill an animal just because it's there. I also feel like this doesn't help the hunter cause when some of us are out talking about this sort of thing.
Old August 6, 2011, 09:19 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Why would I want to shoot an animal that shares 98% of "our" generic make up?
I can't honestly say that I have ever heard anyone base their hunting decisions on the similarity of genetic composition with humans. Exactly what is the genetic similarity % cutoff number between hunt/no hunt?

Humans vary between one another by about 0.5%
Depending on sources, the great apes range from about 95-99%
Cats 90%
Cattle 80%
Mice 75%
Chicken 60-67%
Fruit Fly 60%

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthr...ns-and-animals
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...imp_genes.html
http://creation.com/decoding-the-dog...dna-similarity
http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v17/i1/DNA.asp
Old August 6, 2011, 11:05 AM   #15
SouthTXCrackshot

Okay thanks for answering my question guys. No ape hunting for me. I was thinking I would Taxidermy it for my showroom. As far as the baboons being hostile? Oh you bet they are,they are very dangerous when a human goes into their territory and attempts to bother one. I seen that on Nat Geo. Plus they got some real ugly sharp long teeth Thanks once again!
Old August 6, 2011, 11:24 AM   #16
Cowboy_mo

Why would you ever want to shoot a baboon?

Because they can aggravate the cr** out of you while trying to stalk other animals.

Seriously, think about being in the deer stand and being harassed by that loud, screaming red squirrel. He keeps it up and keeps it up until you being wondering how much would be left after you shoot him with your deer rifle.

Now, you know why someone might want to shoot a baboon

I don't know about the other countries in Africa, but the Republic of South Africa requires a special "primate export" permit to get that trophy out of the country should you take one.
Old August 6, 2011, 11:26 AM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In the July '08 Nat. Geo mag there is an article about shootings of gorillas in retaliation for the strong enforcement of illegal charcoal production...

All of the various people armed are carrying AK/SKS variants.

I am guessing the same would be carried by the rebels and wood/charcoal poachers.

Brent
Old August 6, 2011, 12:08 PM   #18
Pahoo

Guess I don't get it ??

Quote:
On the one hand, it's another animal to add to your 'portfolio'.
Basically, I shoot animals for two reasons;
One is for food and the other is when it involves a conservation effort. I sincerely hope that it's never to fill in a blank, on a "portfolio" ...
On one visit to a public range, there was a guy who was scoping in his M/L and while talking about deer hunting, he went to his truck and got out a scrap book of all the deer he had ever shot. Bragged that he had shot some 200+ deer. That's well and good but a photo album of them. ......

Quote:
I can't honestly say that I have ever heard anyone base their hunting decisions on the similarity of genetic composition with humans. Exactly what is the genetic similarity % cutoff number between hunt/no hunt?
If that is how you want to read it, so be it but go back and read it again. First off, I would not see this as hunting. Not sure what to call it. Shoot one but for what reason. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 6, 2011, 12:37 PM   #19
EMN89

I have no desire to kill an ape or anything in that genis, I shoot animals for two reasons, food and property damage. As others have said to kill something to add to a portfolio to me seems pointless. I love hunting but to kill an animal that is on the endangered species list rediculous and highly illegal.
Old August 6, 2011, 01:18 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
One is for food and the other is when it involves a conservation effort. I sincerely hope that it's never to fill in a blank, on a "portfolio" ...
I'm a meat hunter too, but we are the minority in this country.
Old August 6, 2011, 01:43 PM   #21
Evan Thomas

There are 15 species of great apes -- the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature), which is the main international body tracking this stuff, lists 14 of them as either "endangered" or "critically endangered" (the latter is the last step below "extinct"). And the 15th, non-endangered species is... Homo sapiens.

According to the IUCN's website, the three major threats to apes are habitat destruction (mining, logging, and slash-and-burn farming), poaching, and disease. They're hunted illegally ("bushmeat"), and they're susceptible to human diseases, so the more habitat is lost, the more they're pushed into contact with humans... and so it goes, in a vicious circle.

H. sap. has quite a bit to answer for in this regard.
Old August 6, 2011, 03:57 PM   #22
nathaniel

Quote:
Why would I want to shoot an animal that shares 98% of "our" generic make up?
Because I dont want to be this guy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg planet-of-the-apes_040610.jpg (34.2 KB, 35 views)
Old August 6, 2011, 04:03 PM   #23
B. Lahey

There at least a few nations where you can hunt monkeys with the local equivalent of a small game license. I've heard they can be tasty.
Old August 6, 2011, 07:57 PM   #24
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hokay, catch up on your reading:

1. http://www.enotes.com/monkeys-paw-text

2. Edgar Allen Poe's "The Murders in the Rue Morgue".

I reckon this thread has done enough monkeying around. Somebody might think we're trying to ape our betters.

Nighty-night.
Closed Thread