The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 24, 2011, 08:13 PM   #1
SCDeac82

Ruger SR9c vs. Kahr CW9?

Hello Everyone:

Just picked up my new FNP-9 today, so gotta start thinking about the next pistol.

Need one for CC, so wht do ya'll think about these two?

My top concerns would be:
#1 Reliability
#2 Durability
#3 Holster Availability

Anyone out there who owns/has shot both?

Thanks.
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old May 24, 2011, 10:19 PM   #2
CWKahrFan

I'd call it a toss-up as to Reliability and Durability... The SR9c is an inch longer, somewhat wider, and about 6 oz. heavier, unloaded... (then add 3 extra rounds on top of that).

(The Ruger LC9 -as you probably know - is ballpark same dimensions as the CW9.)

The CW9 is going to be easier to conceal/carry (but 3 less rounds). I feel very confident carrying my CW9 and prefer smaller & slimmer for carry more as I get older. On the other hand, the SR9c is a fine weapon... They're both excellent values but if I had to choose ONE for EDC, I'd go with the CW9 on the size/weight factor.

Plenty of holsters available for both...

(PS: You might even want to check out the new Kahr CM9 just for the heck of it... )

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!

Last edited by CWKahrFan; May 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:27 PM   #3
phatspeed7x

I've had personal experience with the SR9C. It's a good CCW option. Personally I would rather have a XD40SC.
Old May 25, 2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Billy Shears

Love my Kahrs. Utterly reliable and very concealable.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:13 AM   #5
jmortimer

Ruger SR9c
Old May 25, 2011, 09:22 PM   #6
SCDeac82

Thanks for the input guys.

So now to consider the CW9 vs the CM9....
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old May 25, 2011, 10:26 PM   #7
franco45

I own a CW9 and just picked up a CM9 last week. My CW9 has been 100% reliable through almost 1000 rounds. I put 100 WWB, 50 Fiochi fmj and 25 Gold Dots through the CM9 last week. So far so good. It fits in my jeans pocket in a
DeSantis Superfly.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:40 PM   #8
GregInAtl

It wasn't among the choices but I would choose a Kahr PM9 over either of the ones you've listed.
Old May 26, 2011, 07:53 PM   #9
orionengnr

^^^^
... the CM9 is just like the PM9...only cheaper.

I did not like the SR9 I fired at all. The trigger was crap, it mis-fed regularly and being a double-stack, it is fatter and more difficult to conceal.

I've had a PM9 for almost five years and carried it every day for three and a half years (I have since moved to a .45 single stack).

The limited round capacity of a single stack has never bothered me. It is more important (for me) to take advantage of the rounds I have, and to hit what I am aiming at.
Old May 28, 2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Bucks Gun Shop

I have shot both and sold many of both... From my perspective the handguns are so close in the factors that you listed, that I believe they become meaningless... Both guns are very reliable - you will find a few (and I mean very few) that have had issues with either handgun... Both will shoot 1000's of rounds without breakage if properly taken care of... There is a vibrant holster market out there for both...

So -- how do you decide... Find a range in your area that rents hanguns and has them both... Shoot them both and choose the one that "feels" the best to you when shooting...

You will be happy with either...
Old May 28, 2011, 09:55 PM   #11
seeker_two

I really like my XDsc in 9mm.....and it holds 12 rounds....
Old May 28, 2011, 11:25 PM   #12
Stringfellow

I would think the Ruger would be a better general purpose pistol. But for what you said your use is--it is hard to beat the Kahr at any price.

I got mine a few weeks ago, and have put a few hundred flawless rounds through it.

It is the smallest pistol that I am willing to go with. You can buy smaller, but this thing is just so slim and compact. I remember briefly considering the Ruger because the specs aren't too far off, but it is simply huge when actually compared in person.

I think the Kahr is an engineering marvel. I cannot believe a pistol so small and light (~15 oz!!!) could be so controllable and easy to shoot. It has less muzzle flip than a very highly regarded all metal auto at double its weight. You honestly could use it as a range gun.

Your decision comes down to what you really want the pistol for. For CCW, it is impossible to go far wrong with the CW9.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:15 AM   #13
catnphx

I've got 500 rounds through my new CW9 and it's getting there on the reliability front. I want to shot some more rounds through it, especially GD 124gr +P ammo, before I consider it ready to carry. It conceals very easily in my Kholster Crescent IWB. I don't do pocket guns but that's just me.
Kahr CW9 (w/ Kholster Crescent IWB)
Old May 29, 2011, 01:08 PM   #14
ESI Agent

Ruger SR9c. Mine has been 100% and very accurate and it comes with a grip extension so you can have a full size/compact for the same price. You also have an option to use a 17 round mag.
Old May 29, 2011, 03:01 PM   #15
AustinTX

The Kahrs I have first-hand experience with are definitely a mixed bag as far as reliability goes. My P380 has provided a pretty maddening ownership experience thus far and is on its third vacation to Kahr since mid-April.

I've only shot two of the Rugers -- an SR9 and an SR9c. Both were perfectly reliable in the 200 rounds I put through them, and I have read no complaints about their reliability elsewhere, nor have I seen any issues in person. Complaints about unreliable Kahrs are pretty common; just run some forum searches. The trigger on the SR9 trigger was pretty bad, but the SR9c's trigger was good. My understanding is that all SR-series guns come with the upgraded trigger now.

The Kahr certainly has more cachet and style, but if I had to bet my life on the reliability of one over the other, I wouldn't hesitate to take the Ruger.

My suggestion would be to add another pistol to your list and take a look at the Walther PPS. It's more expensive than the two you've mentioned, but it's easily the finest single-stack, ultra-slim 9mm/.40 in production, in my opinion. Save up for an extra week or two. Fit and finish of the other two pales in comparison. It's totally reliable, easy to conceal, unbelievably accurate, and very soft-shooting for its size.
Beretta Billennium/Billennium/92 Steel I/92 Steel I/92FS/92FS/92FS INOX/92FS INOX/8045F/84BB—HK P7M10/P7M10/USP Elite—SIG P210-5 HF/P210-5/P210-6 HF/P210-6/P210-6/P49—SIG Sauer P229—Colt Gold Cup NM/Gold Cup NM/Python—Browning Hi-Power—USFA 1910—Mauser Luger 29/70/HSc—S&W Model 41/Model 57/Model 57/Model 48-4—Freedom Arms Model 83-PG—Walther PPS—Glock 17—CZ 52—FEG ACK—Kahr P380
Old May 29, 2011, 04:49 PM   #16
KyJim

Quote:
So now to consider the CW9 vs the CM9....
I just purchased a CM9 as a largish pocket pistol and occasional IWB pistol. It has a very good trigger for the type gun it is and is obviously small and lightweight. I put 100 FMJ rounds through it without incident. I was pleased with the accuracy of the gun.

Then I tried a mag of Gold Dots and had two failures to feed. Kahr recommends a 200 round break-in and numerous shooters have reported feed problems disappearing after the break-in period. I'm pretty hopeful.

I cannot yet personally recommend the CM9 but it looks very promising.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old May 29, 2011, 08:04 PM   #17
SCDeac82

Hey Austin:

Intersting comments about the PPS. Will try to see one.

Handled an SR9c today @ Academy, and didn't like the grip: seemed almost a little "slick."

What should a decent price be for a PPS?

Thanks.

JB
Old May 29, 2011, 08:51 PM   #18
Redbeardsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESI Agent View Post
Ruger SR9c. Mine has been 100% and very accurate and it comes with a grip extension so you can have a full size/compact for the same price. You also have an option to use a 17 round mag.
Same experience here. I love my SR9c. It's a great "only one" gun. Accurate, great trigger, easy to conceal all day, and pleasant to shoot.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:26 PM   #19
zombieslayer

I'd also recommend the Walther PPS. Imo, they're as good as it gets.
In the Kahr PM/CW vs Ruger LC9 battle, well, I'm a ruger guy but I'd still go with the Kahr. The Kahrs are very well proportioned and have a good reputation.