The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2014, 10:13 PM   #26
snuffy

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...nd-molten-lead

Quote:
I saw water dropping mentioned.
So, I figured the obligatory warning was in order:

Water is your enemy around a casting pot. If a drop of water falls into your molten alloy, or a wet bullet is tossed into the alloy, the water with flash to steam explosively and spray molten lead all over the place. That molten, flying lead will burn any exposed skin, and stick to it. It will burn your eyes, and stick to them. It will do very bad things to any body part it hits.
Frank, look at the above link on castboolits . com. While it's a real bad idea to drop water on hot alloy, it doesn't always explode. As mentioned in that thread, the water HAS to get under the surface of the molten lead to cause the steam explosion.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 22, 2014, 10:25 PM   #27
Mosin-Marauder

Well...umm...might rethink casting a bit before I buy anything. Just uh...yeah. thanks.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 23, 2014, 03:12 AM   #28
nemesiss45

I have a couple more points real quick.

on fluxing, I have not seen it mentioned, but you really need to stir yours lead while you flux. toss your wax on, let it smoke, and ignite it. then stir the pot vigorously (not so vigorously that you splash lead though... I did that once when my pot was too full... bad mojo...). I also like to scrape the sides of the pot to get all the gunk out.

water and hot lead IS a bad mix... but a drop on the top of the molten lead will just dance and turn to steam. a wet chunk of lead tossed into the pot will carry the water under the surface of the lead, very likely spraying lead out. if you water drop, like I do, never, ever, ever, toss your defect bullets back in to the mix. I just let them wait until my next session to know they are bone dry.
Old August 23, 2014, 04:19 AM   #29
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Frank, look at the above link on castboolits . com. While it's a real bad idea to drop water on hot alloy, it doesn't always explode. As mentioned in that thread, the water HAS to get under the surface of the molten lead to cause the steam explosion.
I was after the general concept, more than technical specifics.

However, I very much disagree with generalized statements that are commonly put forth on this subject, along the lines of, "water is less dense than lead and water drops won't break the surface." I agree with the theory, but not the reality of the situation.

I have witnessed both water drops AND ice, in the form of hail (even less dense), penetrate the surface of molten alloy and cause tinsel eruptions.

The bottom line is: Moisture + molten lead = bad day.
Old August 23, 2014, 09:54 AM   #30
Mosin-Marauder

Okay. You're scaring me. So I can't cast when it's humid outside because the lead will condensate, and if I sweat on any of my tools, I get an explosion. Sounds perfectly safe.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 23, 2014, 10:09 AM   #31
zxcvbob

Don't add cold lead to a pot half full of liquid lead on a really humid day. Wear safety glasses. That's about it. You might want to wear welding gloves (I don't while I'm casting, but I have some handy)

If you add lead to a cold pot, you don't even care whether the lead is wet because it'll be dry by the time it melts.

I don't believe 90% of the stories about 1 drop of sweat falling the pot and exploding. It will explode if you get a drop below the surface somehow (tossing it a piece of lead with condensation or a tiny trapped pocket of water.)
Old August 23, 2014, 10:25 AM   #32
salvadore

zxcvbob
Quote:
I don't believe 90% of the stories about 1 drop of sweat falling the pot and exploding.
As a ten percenter, you should see the wall behind my lead pot.
Old August 23, 2014, 10:53 AM   #33
Mosin-Marauder

So, if I just wipe off the lead before I toss it in, it should be fine?
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 23, 2014, 12:02 PM   #34
Beagle333

If there's any doubt about the lead that you are adding.... just bake it at 250-300 in your oven for a while (use an OLD cookie sheet). You can then add it without worry, either as soon as you are sure it is up to 250° or the next time you cast. You can even warm the ingots to be added on a hot plate, but you have to be careful to get them hot enough to dry, without accidently getting the points of contact hot enough to make a melted mess on the hot plate.

Casting can be done safely if you use common sense and be aware of what you are doing, all the time. Just remember you are working with a liquid that is 700 degrees. You don't want to spill it on you or have it splashed on you.
And remember that the tools you are using are also at a temp close to that. I will get reminded of that way more often by accidentally bumping/touching the pot edge or a mold or mold handles than I do with an accidental drip that splattered on the table.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; August 23, 2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old August 23, 2014, 11:24 PM   #35
kilimanjaro

Add a welder's apron to your list of safety gear.

Instead of dropping them in water, just use a damp towel on a cookie sheet, drop the bullets on that, they cool off just fine.

Any bad bullets come out of the mold and on the cookie sheet, DO NOT toss them back in the pot, wait until the next smelt session. There is never any reason to hurry or shortcut any process in casting or reloading.
Old August 24, 2014, 06:58 AM   #36
Mike / Tx

Two times I have had lead blow out of the pot, once was a unsuspected deluge that caught me with my smelting pot sitting within range of the water pouring off the roof. Got so bad so quick I could hardly get to the valve on the propane tank to shut things down. The mess was a real PITA to clean up. The show was awesome, seeing molten lead shoot up 3+ feet in the air and spread out over about 6' of ground was really impressive.

The other time was smelting down WW's and had one with moisture in it that had been sitting inside my shop for a couple of years. Who knew. IT was however MUCH less than the above show, but did launch molten lead up close to 2ft out of the pot. Luckily for me I was well out of the way.

Overall however I have not had any issues what so ever while smelting down over a ton of alloy or while pouring up several thousand bullets. As long as you pay attention to what your doing, and wear something that will absorb the heat should you get a drip or splatter on you while pouring your going to be just fine. That said, trust me when I say, dripping alloy on you at somewhere north of 650 degrees is going to leave a mark, even through denim jeans. Just be careful and use common sense and you should be fine.
Old August 24, 2014, 02:14 PM   #37
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The mess was a real PITA to clean up. The show was awesome, seeing molten lead shoot up 3+ feet in the air and spread out over about 6' of ground was really impressive.
Yea...
When I sold my house in Utah, last year, there was still lead splattered all over the driveway from a tinsel fairy visit 2 years prior (spontaneous hail storm on a calm, clear, 95 degree summer day).

I removed a little here, a little there, and put quite a bit of effort in before listing the house ...but that stuff just didn't want to come off. The buyers thought it was from some kids making a mess with "glitter glue".