The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2015, 12:13 PM   #1
JERRYS.

i traded in to a Mossberg 930 Tactical....

now for the upgrades....

the gun has the breacher barrel which I could care less for either way... but it will stay. it came with a OR3GUN marine spacer tube installed (still have the stock tube). it has a sight rail already mounted as well.

my thinking is to get the +2 mag tube extension, maybe a side saddle. then some sort of optic for the rail.

what say you?

thanks.

Last edited by JERRYS.; December 2, 2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old December 3, 2015, 08:36 AM   #2
JERRYS.

well, I guess after near 100 views, this gun just doesn't get much traction here. thanks just the same guys.
Old December 3, 2015, 08:40 AM   #3
amd6547

Well...I guess I wouldn't do anything to it until I got it to the range and tried it out.
Old December 3, 2015, 08:42 AM   #4
JERRYS.

it works, ive seen it work.... now its just what additions do I add..... firing wise its only an extended tube.

I guess this just isn't an exciting gun for most folks.... its my first semi-auto shotgun....
Old December 3, 2015, 02:03 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...this gun..." To do what with? Gauge? Chokes? Barrel length?
Old December 3, 2015, 02:07 PM   #6
FITASC

Why do anything at all?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 3, 2015, 02:48 PM   #7
TomADC

Quote:
Why do anything at all?
^^^^^ have to agree. Take it out and shoot it, makes sure it does everything you expect from it them do mod's.
Old December 3, 2015, 03:36 PM   #8
FITASC

Depending on things, mods may or may not be necessary or desirable. Optics for what purpose?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 5, 2015, 06:17 AM   #9
JERRYS.

this is to be a home or whatever defense shotgun. the add-ons ive mentioned would be to increase capacity, enable quicker precision (for a shot gun anyway) shooting.... I didn't have the money to get the SPX version so the add-ons are to get it as close to that version as I can, one step at a time.
Old December 5, 2015, 08:25 AM   #10
FITASC

No need for optics at HD distances - just one more thing for Mr. Murphy to interfere with. Your eyes are all the optics you'll need.
Old December 5, 2015, 01:58 PM   #11
Stevie-Ray

Jerry, some of us are sick to death of talking about our successes with our 930s and getting the ever-present "I'd own anything BUT" and in the case of what I have, the SPX, "the sights are on friggin stilts" quoted and regurgitated by many on all forums, and originally from someone that supposedly is a respected shotgunner. Conveniently, they always left out the stock adjustment ability. All this has toned down a bit in the past, but left a sour taste for those of us that love the 930 and grew sick of the comments, especially from those that have never even picked one up, let alone owned one. I love mine, and dearly hope you love yours as well. The tactical is one model I know nothing about, but the SPX was perfect for my HD, and has vetted itself nicely with about ten different loads. I keep it loaded with 00 buck. Good luck.
Old December 6, 2015, 06:02 AM   #12
JERRYS.

thanks Stevie-Ray... it does sort of explain the lack of enthusiasm or comments on a gun that seems to have great reviews.....
Old December 6, 2015, 12:53 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

I wrote a reply before, but didn't post it. I owned a 930 I just sold. The field combo, not SPX. It seemed blocky and clunky in my hands. I was really excited when I bought it, but never impressed. Possibly soured by an immediate trip back to the factory after purchase and some poor communication with Mossberg customer service. When it came back it functioned fine. Just didn't feel good in my hands.

If it was my first shotgun it would have been a great one. Much better than the one I bought to begin with and I probably would have been elated. Well, at least if it worked right out of the box.

I wouldn't get an extension. They seem to cause a whole lot more problems than internal key locks and people rant about those with regularity.

What kind of side saddle? All my shotguns have been dual purpose for hunting or sport shooting, so I was never happy with that extra weight/bulk on the receiver.
Old December 6, 2015, 03:01 PM   #14
Stevie-Ray

Here, Jerry. This is the "side-saddle" I got, just a simple slip on. I've never wanted for more, and with the sights I have, no optic is needed or wanted. Don't know how the tactical model differs, but this is perfect for me. It's also a lot of fun at the range, about the only shotgun that ever has been for me. This target displays about 4 different loads.

Old December 6, 2015, 03:23 PM   #15
TheDevilThatYouKnow

I've enjoyed my 590SPX for a number of years, it's never choked on anything but the very lightest of bird shot (early in its life).

My only problem with it is that I'm short statured and the LOP seems to have been tailored to those 6-foot plus galoots. With the 'junk in the trunk' design of the 930 I thought I'd never find a good looking solution.

Then came along the MESA Tactical Urbino stock and all seems right with the world again. It's a tad more expensive than just a stock as it also replaces the steel tube in the buttstock but it is Very worthwhile.

-Photo courtesy of MesaTactical.com
Old December 7, 2015, 08:37 AM   #16
JERRYS.

thanks guys. the side saddle I'd like would be like the tacstar I have on my 500a. the extension for the mag tube would just be a +2 to give me an even 6 shots before loading the chamber. I have a +2 on my 870 and it works fine, and my 500a has a 7 shot factory tube that is even with the 20" bbl.

because the tactical 930 (or mine anyway) only has the bead front sight, and came with a picatinny rail already mounted, I just wanted something a little faster for my eyes to pick up, that's why the optic idea.

I have day glow snap on tubes for my 500a and really like them but the 930's flared breacher muzzle and the brace/sling clamp after the mag extension won't leave any room for that set up.

thanks again for the feedback and for those that posted pix of their 930s.
Old December 9, 2015, 01:50 PM   #17
Dreaming100Straight

Duplicate. Please ignore or delete.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; December 9, 2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old December 9, 2015, 02:18 PM   #18
Dreaming100Straight

My take on tactical equipment for is it adds little if anything to a shotguns utility for HD and it may well make it less maneuverable in close quarters, more likely to snag on something, and slower to acquire a bad guy. Even a magazine extension makes it heavier and can cause shotshells to jam if not properly installed. Keep in mind that tactical shotguns are designed to cover varied applications unlike a home defense gun that ideally is equipped for just that.

You aren't going to be breaching doors, will probably not have targets further off than then or fifteen yards, will have to swing it in tight spaces, and will not be covered by a team bearing handguns and rifles. Also, should you have a tang safety, a tactical pistol stock is not such a good idea.
Old December 9, 2015, 02:26 PM   #19
JERRYS.

Dreaming, you are correct about a pistol grip not being optimal for this gun because of the safety location. however, a magazine tube that measures out to the end of the muzzle will not hamper mobility and the weight is negligible regarding a +2. the way around an improperly installed mag tube extension is to simply install it correctly.
Old December 9, 2015, 02:50 PM   #20
FITASC

The weight right at the end can be a difference - whether it is to you or not will come from practice. If you install an extension to the muzzle, I would add a support clamp near the end for structural rigidity, especially if you bump it into something during a crisis.

YMMV
Old December 10, 2015, 08:20 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

I will agree that adding that small amount of weight right at the end can REALLY change the balance and swing of a shotgun.
No one intentionally installs the mag tube incorrectly, but a lot of people still have problems with them. I would also worry about how the extension holds up if hit. That is a real concern with a shotgun that sticks out in front of you at close quarters. Better be ready to use every inch of it to inflict blunt force trauma.
Old December 11, 2015, 01:43 AM   #22
Dreaming100Straight

I believe I learned to properly attach an extension, but the better choice is to get a single piece tube, like Remington has gone to for its security model, and nix the screw on extension.
Old December 11, 2015, 06:41 AM   #23
JERRYS.

what model is their semiauto tactical type gun?
Old December 14, 2015, 05:06 PM   #24
JERRYS.

here she is. no problem with installation.
Old December 14, 2015, 05:17 PM   #25
JERRYS.

$5 surplus bag strap works as a sling. an old bushnell red dot I forgot I had until I looked in my closet. so far just cycling shells it works fine. no jams like others said they've had. no spring cutting.... I used stock follower instead of choate follower.

one thing I realized is the front bead is drilled off center to the left. so now with the OR3GUN upgrades it should be GTG. maybe tomorrow I will get to the range and see...