The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 14, 2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Jason9613

Up and comming

I have recently become interested in designing and creating my own sporting shotgun round bags, for personal use as well as future sale. I have some custom designs; however, I am interested in feedback on comfort, preferred bags, interests, maybe just something you would like to see. Thank you for any inputs or ideas. You just might see one of these bags in the form of gifts, raffle items or for sale at your local club.
Old November 14, 2013, 09:42 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Are you talking about range bags that hold everything, or something you would wear while shooting to hold your ammo?
Old November 14, 2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Jason9613

While shooting.
Old November 15, 2013, 07:55 AM   #4
BigD_in_FL

When it is hot, I prefer a "half vest" that has 4 pockets (two on each side), plus a zippered pouch for empties on the back. I prefer something made out of heavy cotton canvas duck material with a real belt, not one of those nylon things with a fastex buckle that never hold their shape
Old November 15, 2013, 12:54 PM   #5
BigJimP

I live in a temperate climate....so 99% of the time, I wear a "shooting vest" ....with 4 pockets in the front / 2 on each side....and a large pocket in the back..../ Browning vest...

similar to this one....

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...d=305&tid=026B
-----------------
If its really warm, I'll wear one of these belt pouch options...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=309&tid=007
-------------------------
I've had custom leather pouches in the past...that held a box of shells / and a pocket for empty hulls, etc...but I gave them up. I prefer the weight distributed across my shoulders via a vest ...not on my waist.
Old November 17, 2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Jason9613

Thanks guys

I was looking into the vests;however, much more planning is needed for a proto. I have alleviated some weight of my leather bags by using Kevlar mesh accents, and a wider waist strip. If you think of anything else let me know. Thanks
Old November 17, 2013, 03:43 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

There are a LOT of vest makers - both leather, cotton and mesh out there. If yours will be yet another Made in China thing to sell at wally world, I will wish you well, but also tell you I will never buy it.

I want a QUALITY made vest, extra stitching at the critical points, and most importantly, MADE IN THE USA.

For sporting clays, and especially FITASC, the vest needs leather on the front where the gun will be mounted and it needs to be from the at least the waist, if not the top of the pocket, for the FITASC folks. If it can incorporate a pocket for one of the recoil reducers that skip inside, even better for most folks. A summer version needs to be as light and airy as possible for those of us who shoot in warm climates. You'll need a ring or two for towel and wad knocker, minimum of four pockets for shells, place for glasses, maybe a few loops for choke tubes and it needs to be priced below a house payment
Old November 18, 2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Jason9613

Funny

Well big_D I assure that mine will not be "Chinese crap" lol...as I am a small business owner and a proud veteran at that. I always place quality over quantity, I am aware of all the competition and that only makes me strive for the highest quality, after all its my name brand on the line.
Old November 19, 2013, 07:44 AM   #9
BigD_in_FL

Good, then look at folks like Lonesome Charlie's bags, Galco, and other similar quality folks - you'll see riveted corners, thick leather, double and triple waxed stitching, etc.

Good luck to you and post pics when you get prototypes ready

Tags
bag , leather , shotgun , skeet , trap