The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 3, 2012, 08:50 PM   #1
capguntim

Cabela's Hawken Value

Hello all! New guy here curious about value of a unfired Cabela's Hawken 50 cal. Is $300 too much? I see they are $519 new but I cant find any used ones that are comprable to compare. Guy owes me $ and wants to pay me in trade.

any help is much apreciated.
Old March 3, 2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Hawg

Depends on condition.
Old March 3, 2012, 11:06 PM   #3
capguntim

I have not saw it yet but he says its in bran new condition.
Old March 3, 2012, 11:28 PM   #4
arcticap

Why doesn't he sell it for $300 and then give you the money?
If you want one then it's worth $300.
But if you don't want it then they're not always easy to sell because of the number of less expensive used ones on the market.
They have been produced and sold for many years and use to cost less than they do now.

Last edited by arcticap; March 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old March 4, 2012, 02:38 AM   #5
FrontierGander

$225-$250 max and it would be a hard sell at that.
Old March 4, 2012, 04:02 PM   #6
capguntim

Quote:
Why doesn't he sell it for $300 and then give you the money?
that would be ideal but the rreality is he owes money to lots of people and if I hold out for cash I have to get in line. its a bird in the hand kind of thing. I appresiate the hard numbers so I will tell him its worth 225 but I was kinda hoping for something to point to to say look here is what they are going for. btw are these any good?
Old March 4, 2012, 04:38 PM   #7
Hawg

The rear sights aren't anything to brag on but they're very good guns made by Investarms.
Old March 4, 2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

Welcome to the forum, Capgun

You came to the right place.
Old March 4, 2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Cabela's Hawken Value He owes money to lots of people

Flint or percussion? Normal size barrel or carbine? as resale value is based largely on brand, appearance, and model. Remember: "Value is always Set in the eyes of the Beholder!! Never the Sellers." What is it worth to you? $$ or prepare to stand in line with the others He owes.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 4, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:17 PM   #10
capguntim

Quote:
Flint or percussion? Normal size barrel or carbine?
its a percussion r/h with the long barrel and shiny brass parts.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:47 PM   #11
robhof

robhof

Check gunbroker and auctionarms, for comparable prices, just put in hawkins and look through, you can specify condition and get an idea of asking price, but some comercial sellers/pawn shops relist several times before they're sold, but it'll give you a place to point to. Pawn shops wont give over $75 for any Hawkins style gun even in like new condition, and they try to sell them for $200 to $300, but will barter down to $150, that's what I paid for my T/C Hawkins with a GM barrel.
Old March 4, 2012, 11:14 PM   #12
capguntim

well now I don't know what to think. I checked those auction sights and got prices of

249 + shipping with a whole another day of bidding to go
304 shipped opening bid
390 shipped opening bid
362 shipped opening bid
380 + shipping + ffl transfer fee opening bid

now I don't often get accused of being the smartest guy in the room but....
Robhof I'm not rich by anyones standards but if you know where to get bran new $520 guns for $75 each I say line em up and I'll take all you got!

I got to meet with this guy tommorrow and I don't feel any closer to a fair price then I did before I started looking.
Old March 5, 2012, 03:12 AM   #13
FrontierGander

cabelas name alone should tell you why they have a $500 price tag. They are nothing more than the basic lyman rifles. Actualy the lyman trade rifle is nicer and only $330.
Old March 5, 2012, 10:52 AM   #14
noelf2

Quote:
well now I don't know what to think. I checked those auction sights and got prices of

249 + shipping with a whole another day of bidding to go
304 shipped opening bid
390 shipped opening bid
362 shipped opening bid
380 + shipping + ffl transfer fee opening bid
Auctions without bids don't count (for obvious reasons). Also, if you are searching, I recommend you search for Hawken vs. Hawkins, the former being the most common spelling advertisers/sellers use.
Old March 5, 2012, 12:39 PM   #15
arcticap

I found two "new" Cabela's Hawken .50 rifles on Gunbroker for $350 and $380 plus shipping. But because Gunbroker has 4 pages of mostly TC Hawken muzzle loaders for sale, there aren't [m]any bidders willing to pay their asking price plus shipping.
A brand new unfired Cabela's Hawken really is worth $300.
Even a new Spanish Traditions Hawken retails for about that same price and more.
But it's just not an easy item to sell for that price unless someone really wants one.
Cabela's sells their guns by offering a lot of promotions, including awarding Cabela's discount points earned by simply using a Cabela's Visa card. So folks end up paying substantially less for Cabela's products just by accumulating a lot of "free" points. Plus they go on sale.
Cabela's was selling the same Hawken model in an unfinished kit for $359 and $319 when they put it on sale. But even after it has been well finished it would be hard to sell one for more than the original price.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=276299767

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=276322298

Here's a new Cabela's Hawken .54 for $339 that hasn't sold in the last 90 days:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=275352899

Last edited by arcticap; March 5, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old March 5, 2012, 04:27 PM   #16
capguntim

Thanks for the links Arcticap.

Quote:
They are nothing more than the basic lyman rifles. Actualy the lyman trade rifle is nicer and only $330.
Ok I googled the trade rifle and I got prices of

I called the one for 330 to verify the price and get shipping cost but they wont answere there phone during there stated "normal business hours".

the one for 331 is out of stock and dont seem to show any backorder option.

I went to Investarms sight and it seems the difference in the guns is hawken has a brass patch box and a double trigger and better sights so I guess I need some one to explain to me why the trade rifle is "nicer" I pushed the guy off another day to investigate more.
Old March 5, 2012, 08:15 PM   #17
robhof

robhof

The bottom one is a Cabela's from a kit, I only have $350 tied up in all 3 guns, the top is my hunter and has taken it's share of venison. None were in like new condition, but all had good clean bores and shoot just fine. Pawn shops around here won't pay anywhere near the true value and Gander Mtn only offered $125 for the Cabela's gun as a trade in for a new gun, so I kept it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guns 001.jpg (148.5 KB, 32 views)
Old March 5, 2012, 11:32 PM   #18
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by capguntim
I need some one to explain to me why the trade rifle is "nicer"
It's totally subjective. The Cabela's Hawken does have a nice cheekpiece and an adjustable sight. But for hunting with a gloved hand in a winter season, a lot of folks wouldn't prefer to have a double trigger.
Midsouth is often in the lower price range for Lyman/Investarms guns and they sell the Trade Rifle for $348.20 without shipping. A few years ago that price may have been $275. People have limits on how much they want to spend on a traditional muzzle loader. New TC's are way out of the price range for what most folks want to spend. That's what leads folks to buy a new Lyman/Investarms gun...unless they would rather buy a used TC for about 1/2 the price of a new Lyman which many folks choose to do.
If someone likes it, then the NIB Cabela's Hawken is a fine gun for $300. If someone were shopping for a Hawken and a Cabela's Hawken were put in their hands, they would instantly like it because it's a comfortable, well made gun. Most folks haven't seen, heard of or held one to appreciate it verses a TC which are available nearly everywhere used. But the Cabela's retail price for a new one is a turn off for most folks. However a new one that costs $300 would have an appeal if someone were considering buying a new Hawken.
Most folks recommend to others to buy the Lyman Great Plains rifle even though it has a longer barrel, which is heavier and less handy. Mostly because of the slow twist rate of the barrel, it's considered to be a great gun to fire patched round balls with. So it's extremely popular.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...u=000156032125

Last edited by arcticap; March 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old March 6, 2012, 05:05 PM   #19
Fingers McGee

OK, I've broken out the trusty Blue Book. 2011 Blue Book of Modern BP arms says a NIB Traditions (Cabelas) Hawken is worth $300.00 Take it from there.

Opening bids on GB have no relationship to value of an item. I've been tracking 2nd Gens that haven't had a bid, much less sold, for over 3 years because the opening bid prce is 125% to 150% of actual value.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 7, 2012, 12:07 AM   #20
FrontierGander

cabelas hawken is not a traditions. Its made by Investarms, same company that builds the Lyman brand.
Old March 10, 2012, 03:00 AM   #21
dlbarr

This may not be fair, but I wouldn't give more than $150 for one of those kind of guns. There's just too many of them around and there's nothing really unique or special about any of them. Granted, I've heard good things about the Investarms barrels, but the locks & triggers are no great thing. The stocks on those mass-produced "Hawken" types are cut like a modern rifle, not close to what they should be for a ML. The sights.....

Yes, you can shoot well and hunt successfully with one of these, but you can do that with several firearms of lesser quality.

$150 tops I say.
Old March 11, 2012, 02:47 PM   #22
capguntim

Thanks to all you guys for your help. I see with prices ranging from $75-$520 it seems to be a matter of sitting on it and waiting for a guy to come along that wants it more than I do.

I took a gamble at $250 and now I need to figure out the best place to sell it (suggestions welcome). I will give it some time and if I can't get my money back then I guess it will hang on my wall and remind me not to do that again.
Old March 13, 2012, 05:39 PM   #23
FrontierGander

or take up black powder shooting!
Old March 14, 2012, 04:55 AM   #24
deerslayer303

Quote:
or take up black powder shooting!
here hear! I second the motion. Go crack that thing off ONE time. And if it doesn't bring a GREAT BIG OL SMILE to your face then you sir are a rare breed
Old March 14, 2012, 04:09 PM   #25
robhof

robhof

You can't sell the gun on Ebay, but you can part it out and the parts usually fetch more than a complete gun; barrel-$100 to $200, lock-$60 to $100, stock $75 to $150. I parted out an old inline and got almost double what I paid for it. It's a last resort, as the work of taking it down and monitoring several auctions and wrapping and mailing to several places is more work than selling a complete gun.