The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 5, 2011, 08:25 PM   #1
JohnCB7

New VZ-52 and lots of questions

Picked this up at a pawn shop last week. Traded a IJ70 Makarov for it.

VZ-52 7.62x45. Doesn't seem to have been fired in some time. The bore looks pretty good with strong rifling and only minor surface rust, no pitting. I know a little about it, but one thing I didn't know when I got it was how expensive/hard to find the ammo was. So (the purest are going to crucify me for this one) I wish to convert the rifle to fire 7.62X39 ammo. I don't want to go with the cheesy insert, so I know my options are moving the barrel back and re-chambering, or re-barreling. Which would be the most reliable/easiest/cheapist/eta? If I do convert it, I would also like to adapt it to use AK mags, has anybody done that?

And lastly, I plan to replace my (cracked) stock with something lighter. I've seen a pic on a VZ52 with a M14 stock adapted, is there a how-to somewhere on doing that? Maybe a polymer stock for a Mini-14?
Old April 6, 2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Que

I'm sort of in a different situation. When I got my 52 I ordered a bunch of 7.62x45 ammo for it only to later find out that it has the 7.62x39 chamber insert. I'd shoot 39 through it I guess hoping that the insert comes out as they often do. The thing is that x39 does not work all that reliably from x45 mags, and x39 mags are not easy to find and can get pricey.

So, the gun sits unfired in my gun vault.
Old April 6, 2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Sleuth

The Vz52 (AKA SHE) was only made for two years - 1955-57 - the ammo for not much longer. I have some original ammo, it's all hangfires. A friend just had some cases made (at $2 @), and we are going to do some experimenting.

Cutting the barrel back could be tough, due to the gas system. I think with today's glues, you may be better off with an insert and some spacers in the mags.

Bets of luck, they are interesting guns.

Edited to add: My friend may be having dies made to make 7.62 X 45 out of 30-06 brass. Would any of you be interested in some brass?

Last edited by Sleuth; April 6, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old September 2, 2011, 07:20 AM   #4
AirborneMosinFan

Sleuth. If you made some complete rounds I would bite

I've been trying to find non corrosive rounds for my gun for a while
Old September 2, 2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Sleuth

Airborne, the entire project is on hold for now. I'll keep you in mind.
Old September 2, 2011, 03:12 PM   #6
chack

You can find 7.62x45 ammo on gunbroker for about 50 cents a round. I haven't had a problem with hangfires from any of the Czech ammo I have shot through mine.

You can load your own ammo by buying brass or making it fro 6.5 carcano or mannlicher shoenoer AMMO (or however it's spelled).

If you have a decent barrel you are really fortunate, because bad barrels and cracked stocks are the norm with these rifles. It would be a real shame if you were to modify it from its original condition.

Setting back the barrel and rechambering is alot of work that would cost you a couple hundred dollars. You'd have to modify the gas piston/sleeve too, and you'd decrease the value of the gun in the process.

Modifying it to take AK mags would be all but impossible without the help of a skilled machinist, but modifying an AK mag to work in a VZ 52 chambered for 7.62x39 is pretty easy if you have some metal working skill and tools.

If you were interested in trading it for a SKS or even an AK I'm sure you could arrange that depending on the VZ's condition. I happen to have a few potential trades laying around...