The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 27, 2008, 01:41 PM   #1
MikeGoob

Whats the brightest single cell Light I can get?

There are lots of great flashlight reviews here but its hard to tell which one would fit my needs. My requirements are brightness and size--generally the size of one 123 lithium cell.

What kind of lumens can I expect? I dont care much about how long the batteries last, I can get them in bulk.

Ive been thinking about one of the new Fenix lights.
Old July 27, 2008, 02:53 PM   #2
sholling

I keep a Fenix L2D Premium on my belt. Have you asked over at CPF? Membership gets you a discount at the fenix-store.
Old July 27, 2008, 02:59 PM   #3
MikeGoob

no idea what cpf is
Old July 27, 2008, 03:07 PM   #4
MikeGoob

The P2D says it puts out 135lumens as opposed to the one you listed. It looks very similar otherwise--is there a reason you chose it?
Old July 27, 2008, 03:44 PM   #5
sholling

CPF = Candle Power Forums, the place where the flashlight hobbyists (yes they exist) hang out. An awesome source of information but I recommend searching there before asking them a question - they sometimes get snippy if you don't.

Side by side... (*note all figures are a bit optimistic)

Premium with Q5 lamp...
Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel
  • General Mode: 12 lumens (30hrs) -> 55 lumens (5.5hrs) -> 107 lumens (2hrs) -> SOS
  • Turbo Mode: 180 lumens (1hrs) -> Strobe
Standard L2D
Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel
  • General Mode: 9 lumens (30hrs) -> 40 lumens (5.5hrs) -> 80 lumens (2hrs) -> SOS
  • Turbo Mode: 135 lumens (1hrs) -> Strobe
For what it's worth I own Premium versions of the L2D (on my belt) and the L3D (in my car), and have a Fenix T1 by my bed.
Old July 27, 2008, 05:08 PM   #6
Bond007

Fenix P2D is a great little flashlight. Everyone is amazed at its output. The only complaints I've heard are that some people find it a little too small, although I really like it for everyday or briefcase use.

Personally, I've had a couple brief and minor failures with the switch. Fenix seems to think everything is fine and it generally is. Every now and then it won't turn on at the first click, but the second or third will do the trick. Not too big a deal for general use, and I still love the light.

Bottom line though, is that this is what you get for Fenix quality and money (not meant to run down the brand, amazing performance for the money, just not the same quality or reliability as Surefire and others). If you need absolute reliability and quality parts, then the more expensive Surefire lights are what you're after.

Good luck.
Old July 27, 2008, 05:42 PM   #7
rnr

My favorite flashlight. Streamlight TL3 xenon At 211 lumens this thing will blind you during the day! And for $65 you can't beat it. They also have a 5W LED version. But they do take 3 123's. I missed that part.
Old July 27, 2008, 08:02 PM   #8
ckd

Have Fenix, Streamlight, Surefire, and several others, and for a single CR123A I daily carry the Surfire L1($135), which appears brighter than it's reported 65 lumens; equal to their new 80 lumen rate E1B. Expensive, but an excellent light for just about every application, and size wise, it is stought comfortable, tough as nails light with a two stage illumination system. A similar product which is a bit less expensive, is their new E1B($110).

Links L1, E1B: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../932/sesent/00
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...4511/sesent/00

For the money, especially pocket carry, I have and like the Fenix L2D ($48, two AA batteries) better than their CR123A offerings. Five light stages/options, and can use rechargable AAs. I'd rate this a best buy.

Link: http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=2614

Flashlights are like guns, very subjective, with a great range for prices and performance.