The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2000, 05:38 AM   #1
JeepBear

I'm putting together an RKBA/info site and one of the things I'd like to include is a brief history of the development of the ammunition I use in my firearms. Stuff I'd like to include would be when the individual cartridges were developed, by whom and for what specific purpose. Most of the rounds are in current LEO/military service, but I'm still having a devil of a time finding anythin on calibers not designed in the last 15 years.

Does anyone know of a website where I can get that sort of information, or a particular book that would help?
Old March 12, 2000, 07:03 AM   #2
ML

Cartridges Of The World by Frank C. Barnes has good information on the origins of both handgun and rifle catridges. Street Stoppers and Handgun Stopping Power both by Marshall & Sanow have very good info on the origins and the development of defensive handgun ammunition.

Good Luck
Old March 12, 2000, 09:41 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A good but hard-to-find reference is "The Complete Guide to Handloading" by Capt. Phil Sharpe. The first edition was published just before WW II, I believe; an update was published in about 1951 or so. I don't know of any later revisions. But if it's centerfire and can be reloaded, it's listed.
Lots of other good information, such as the development of the cartridge case. The pictures of reloading equipment of the "old days" make a sor of a "museum on paper".

, Art
Old March 13, 2000, 08:48 PM   #4
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"

ML is right, CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD, 8th Edition by Barnes is a must have. Brownells is got it.

METALLIC CARTRIDGE RELOADING, 3rd Edition by McPherson is also a good resource, also from Brownells. -- Kernel

[This message has been edited by Kernel (edited March 13, 2000).]
Old March 14, 2000, 01:41 PM   #5
JeepBear

Thanks guys. I'm sure these will help.