The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 21, 2001, 04:28 PM   #1
CrociJA

Trijicon Reflex II interfere with Sure Fire 500A?

Decided that instead of purchasing any more firearms I would improve upon the training and equipment I already have.
One firearm that I am currently working on is a Bushmaster Shorty.
Because of an event that occured a few weeks ago, I decided upon Sure-Fire's 500A for my Bushy (it has a carrying handle). It's easy to install, it's integral to the forend, easy to work with and from what I've seen pretty hardy.
However, just for fun I want to add a Trijicon Reflex II.
Does anyone know if the bracket setup that is used with the Reflex II will interfere with the 500A or vice versa?
By interference I mean will the slightly larger circumference of the 500A NOT allow me to mount the Trijicon?

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited by CrociJA; June 22, 2001 at 05:20 PM.
Old June 22, 2001, 06:10 PM   #2
jason10mm

I have the trijicon mounted in the scout config, out in front of the carry handle (The RX-10 mount I believe). There is a fair amount of clearance, probably a half-inch or so. I wouldn't think the surefire mount is that much thicker. There are cheaper alternatives. I saw one mounting ring that attaches to the lower handguard and allows a surefire to be attached. It is cheap ($30 or so) and ambidextrous since you can just tap the rear of the light as needed (though you could get the contaqct tape strip if necessary). Just a thought since that surefire 500a thing is horribly expensive. Do you have a detachable carry handle? If so I would go with a seperate rear sight and a quick release reflex sight, the carry handle plus the RX-10 mount is very heavy. Also, if your AR-15 is a post-ban with a naked muzzle, test fire lots of different types of ammo at night, some of them spit out a fireball 2 feet long and will ruin your night vision, forcing you to use the flashlight just to navigate. I'm NOT using an AR-15 for home defense for just this reason. Can't justify a pre-ban yet, but that flash hider makes all the difference. Later.
Old June 23, 2001, 09:15 PM   #3
PJ11B3VF7

Put more money into the one you have and more money into training and ammo. All the gadgets in the world will not replace experience.
Though for some CQB situations a light is a must.
When you send a man out with a gun, you create a policymaker. When his ass is on the line, he will do whatever he needs to do. And if the implications of that bother you, the time to do something about it is before you decide to send him out.

David Drake

It's 4V now
Old June 24, 2001, 12:14 AM   #4
CrociJA

Yeah I hear what both of you are saying.
I just sent a pretty large order for some more brass from ammoman.
The reason for this post is that about a month ago one of the buildings next to our rental had an open and wildly swinging front door.
Since the building is on our property and my wife was a little spooked, she asked if I could take a look.
Which in my wifes tounge means "Where's the gun and can you do a quick scan while I call the landlord and than possibly the police?"
I picked up my revolver and did a quick check of the area outside of our rental, and came to realization that I am just not comfortable handling a pistol and a flashlight at the same time.
It's not that I can't, it's just that I can see why many mount a light on their firearm.
Long story short. Wind blew it open. But I would of hated to try to open doors, closets, etc...With both hands full.
I hate to say it but I am far more comfortable with a long arm than I am with a pistol when it comes to "clearing" an area.
I like the Sure-Fire lights and plan on mounting one of each on the AR and one of my pump-guns.
As for the Trijicon...I've used Aimpoints and although this is a different critter entirely the idea is similar.
I had the opportunity to look at the Aimpoint first and than when I went back later, the Trijicon...

Do agree 100% though that the range and qualified training should be at the top of the list.
Just that sometime we all have to find out for ourselves how well the newest gadget works.
Old June 24, 2001, 10:01 AM   #5
PJ11B3VF7

Ok, now I understand more about your post. I agree with you. I too feel more at ease with a shoulder weapon rather than just a handgun.
Looking at my previous post I was too abrupt in answering you. If you're going to clear a building/room especially with a rifle a weapon mounted light is a must IMHO. I have an Aimpoint mounted on my AR-15, but that's more for distance use. really inside a room I've always focused directly on the front sight without looking through the rear. I can get COM hits to 25 meters like this which is a great deal further than the size of your average room.
I'll add that I personally believe that your entry into the building and into subsequent rooms is the most dangerous part of the equation. It's difficult to manipulate a rifle and a door knob simultaneously at that time. In your particular case I understand that wasn't the case. Just some food for thought.

As far as handling a handgun and a flashlight I use the Harries technique and the light is attached to my wrist with a lanyard, thus allowing me to release the light and have it easily accessible when needed.

Best wishes.
When you send a man out with a gun, you create a policymaker. When his ass is on the line, he will do whatever he needs to do. And if the implications of that bother you, the time to do something about it is before you decide to send him out.

David Drake

It's 4V now