The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 19, 2013, 09:08 PM   #1
lamarw

Pulse Rate and Shooting Acuracy

I have a very low pulse rate and have been checked over and over by my heart doctor to include stress test and a heart catherization. I am speaking of a pulse of around 65 at my age of 66. My low pulse seemed to of concerned the doctor until the catherization test. He attributes it to my atheletic younger life which included football, track and Officer Candidate School.

It is probably not anything to brag about but I did rate expert in both rifle and pistol marksmanship in the military when I was in my 20's.

I do think my marksmanship has suffered due to eyesight and age, but I wonder if a lower pulse rate might makes for a better shooter. I have read where snipers actually attempting to fire between heart beats.

I am not a great shot by any means, but I do wonder if it helps to have a lower pulse rate. Just how much can your normal pulse rate affect shooting accuracy if any?
Old February 19, 2013, 09:50 PM   #2
BGutzman

Yes, lower pulse rate can contribute to better shooting, ask any serious target shooter.. Also not eating or consuming a large amount of food or drink prior to shooting is important if you want max accuracy, as the stomach muscles and gasses produced will move your body position ever so slightly but it all counts.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:14 AM   #3
FlyFish

I was fortunate enough to know (slightly) Don Hamilton many years ago, and I remember him talking about techniques he would use between shots when shooting free pistol to get his pulse as low as possible, and that he would attempt to shoot between beats. More recently, Olympic shooters have been banned for using beta blockers to accomplish the same thing during Olympic events.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Nothing but good. Mine is now up to what the good doctor considers normal (for him) but at nearly 70 I am 20 years older than he is. When I was a highschool football player I nearly flunked my physicals because my pulse and pressure were so low. You will have the last laugh as you are still shooting good scores at 80 and those who have told you your pulse is to slow are gone.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 20, 2013, 12:35 PM   #5
southjk

So the Mountain Dew I usually drink on the way to the range is doing me no favors? Maybe just water next time.
Old February 20, 2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
So the Mountain Dew I usually drink on the way to the range is doing me no favors? Maybe just water next time.
Right you are. We used to make fun of our team coach/captain because he switched to decaff for his thermos and wouldn't smoke or drink a week before a match. 20 years older than us and in better shape, scores showed it. After I got out of active duty and set my sights on the Olympics I did some serious study and thus ended my cigars, my pipe, my coffee and any drink with alcohol or caffeine in it. Now years after I quit serious competition I still can't handle caffeine and don't smoke. Drinking just doesn't interest me anymore. Only vices I have left are Betty Boop cartoons, rootbeer, salty foods, hot salsa and gunpowder. If you check the label you will find good rootbeer has no caffeine so you can always switch to that.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--