The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2011, 02:29 PM   #1
hammered54

40 S&W

getting ready to start on reloading these and have a few questions.
first the brass I'm starting with is from two guns, a glock and a S&W, I"m concerned with the " bulge" nothing to bad here but the glock fired brass seems a little fatter, should I separate it and use it in each gun or does it not matter.

I've read about the "bulge buster" from Lee and sounds like what I should be using....but after reading the instruction for it (on line) it sounds to me that its not intended for use for the glock brass...am I wrong.
dont want to keep it seperate would like to just use it in any gun after its reloaded.

thanks Matt

here is the quote from the instructions, Do not use the Bulge Buster Kit to reload for the
40 S&W Glock or similar guns with chambers that
do not fully support the cartridge due to the
intrusion of the feed ramp.

Last edited by hammered54; February 24, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old February 24, 2011, 06:31 PM   #2
larry60

I am new to reloading for the 40 S&W but I found out real quick what a problem the bulge is. I bought Reddings titanium carbide dies which work very well. I picked up some once fired mixed brass and started running them through my sizer die. Right away I knew there was a problem because of a ring that was being left near the bottom of the case. I had not heard of the Glock bulge and did a lot of research before I knew that was the problem. I tossed out half of the brass I had sized it was that bad. I bought some roll sized brass at Gunbroker.com they were better but I was still getting the ring on about 5% of my cases. I read about the Lee bulge buster here and ordered it from Midway I also had to order a Lee factory crimp die. That solved most of the problem after you run your brass through the Lee bulge buster you will still need to run them through your sizing die.
Old February 24, 2011, 09:38 PM   #3
fourrobert13

Get a Redding GRX die and remove the bulge. You run the brass through the die before you run it through your resizer. Problem solved.
Old February 24, 2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Twinsig

Better yet, get a couple of Sig229s and forget about battle of the bulge.

OKay, there goes the thread!

Back on Sig vs Glock! HA hA
Old February 24, 2011, 10:29 PM   #5
Jim243

Use the Lee Bulge Buster and FCD for the 40 S&W, just spray lube your cases before you start it will make it easyier to resize them and get rid of the GLOCK bulge.

Jim
Old February 25, 2011, 08:41 AM   #6
kalevatom

I use the resizing die from the Lee 3 die set($30) in my Dillon for .40. I also use the adjustable seating die.
Old February 25, 2011, 11:24 PM   #7
billnourse

That is why three of my loading manuals warn against loading .40 S&W for use in Glock guns.

Bill
Cooper 52 25/06, Cooper 52 30/06, Cooper 52 338/06Cooper 57 .17HMR, Remington VS .22/250 all left handed. Rock River Predator Persuit AR-15, 1952 Marlin 336 in 30/30. 2 Kimber 1911, Colt 1911, S&W .357 Mag, Kahr .40 and .380
Old February 26, 2011, 01:32 PM   #8
hammered54

Get a Redding GRX die and remove the bulge. You run the brass through the die before you run it through your resizer. Problem solved.

I'll look into one of these...
Old February 26, 2011, 02:05 PM   #9
chasep255

The reason the glock is creating the bulge is because its chamber is not fully supported. This means that the chamber is a bit bigger than usual which supposedly make the gun less likely to jam. The down side is that this adds extra strain to the brass and allows it to bulge when fired. This is why Glock says not to use reloads in their guns. If you really want to shoot reloads out of your glock go and get an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber.
Old February 26, 2011, 03:07 PM   #10
scsov509

Quote:
This is why Glock says not to use reloads in their guns.
Every major firearms manufacturer recommends against using reloads in their guns, Glock is hardly the exception here.

For what it's worth, I've never used the Lee Bulge Buster or any other special tools, and I've loaded many thousands of .40 rounds without a single problem. I'd suggest you focus on good, basic reloading habits like close inspection of your brass when processing, and then see if that doesn't just prevent problems in the first place.
Old February 26, 2011, 03:32 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

The Redding GRx die gets its name from "Glock Prescription". It was made for this purpose. I just wouldn't run hot loads through that same brass afterward. Target loads should be no problem and won't tend to re-bulge the case as badly.

Also, if you have a lot of bulge, double-check with a caliper that the cases don't get too long after ironing the bulge and resizing. Make sure the mouths are still reasonably square.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 26, 2011, 06:19 PM   #12
jepp2

Quote:
1. The reason the glock is creating the bulge is because its chamber is not fully supported. 2. This means that the chamber is a bit bigger than usual which supposedly make the gun less likely to jam. The down side is that this adds extra strain to the brass and allows it to bulge when fired. 3. If you really want to shoot reloads out of your glock go and get an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber.
1. Lack of chamber support creates a bulge near the rim of the case. 3'rd generation Glocks have much improved chamber support versus earlier models. Many pistols have chamber support similar to Glocks.

2. Generous chambers create a bulge further forward on the case. For reliable operation several pistol manufacturers size their chambers generous for reliable operation.

3. A very good idea. In addition to being much easier on your brass, it eliminates the potential issue with shooing lead in barrels with polygonal rifling.
Old February 28, 2011, 07:39 PM   #13
chasep255

Quote:
Every major firearms manufacturer recommends against using reloads in their guns, Glock is hardly the exception here.
True, but even some of my loading data has a special warning for glock shooters.