The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 18, 2004, 07:16 AM   #1
Farmhand

Berretta 680 Skeet

Hello, I am new to this forum and had a couple of questions about a used gun I just purchased. I found a like new (serioulsy probably never fired but at the factory) 680 12g skeet 26" fixed skeet/skeet. I paid about 800 for it. I seems to be a fairly high quality gun but not fancy. When I compared it to an onyx it seemed like a much nicer gun. Even has replacable trunions. This is my first double and don't know a lot about them.

1. Was this a fair price?
2. What years were they made from I would guess maybe the 1970s/1980s.
3. It did not come with a case . I fiqure that orginally it probably did and got seperated over the years. Am I correct that it would have? If so would it be possible to find one for it today or should I just go buy a basic generic aluminium. Any sugguestions
4. The handbook of gun values implies that some might have been sold with a second set of barrels. If so would they have been 12 gauge in a longer length or 20 gauge in skeet/skeet? Could I find a second set today?
5. I believe I can break it into three pieces for hauling to the range (i don't have the manual either). Iam I correct?

Thank you for your help.
Old December 18, 2004, 09:16 AM   #2
K80Geoff

The Beretta 680 series are excellent guns, yours appears to be an older model. O/U's with 26" bbls were in vogue for skeet shooting for many years. Today 30" seem to be the norm. Interchangeable choke tubes are now standard.

My Beretta 686 came in a cardboard box, but I have seen guns in plastic takedown cases from Beretta. A buddy has a 687 two barrel set that came in a plastic case. The gun had 20ga and 28ga barrels. As to your gun it might have come with longer second set of barrels or as a four barrel set for skeet (12,20,28 and 410). Some guns came with cases, some in cardboard.

I am reasonably certain you could have another set of barrels fitted to the gun. This would have to be done by Beretta or a qualified gunsmith.http://www.colegun.com/ is one place to inquire.

The gun can be broken down into three pieces for transport, most shotgun cases are designed for transport this way.

Best guide as to value is to check one of the guides. As a general rule guns with 26"bbls with fixed chokes are not worth as much as the same gun with longer bbls and choke tubes. $800 doesn't seem out of line for a Beretta O/U.
Old December 19, 2004, 01:26 AM   #3
Lawyer Daggit

Beretta 680

You have an older model.

The Onyx uses the same action as the 686 and 687, it is very similar to the 680 action but has been cheapened- as you noticed by the removal of replaceable trunions etc.

Fitted cases are available for the Beretta shotguns through their agents in Australia, so I assume you can get them in the US. A number of different quality cases are offered in Plastic.

I used to shoot a 682 trap gun and it gave me years of trouble free service. You can expect the same.