The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 17, 2013, 01:05 AM   #1
Dreaming100Straight

Enough with "Shottie"

PLEASE, PLEASE, do not use the term "Shottie ". Remmie" and "Mossie" are bad enough. but I cringe at "Shottie". A shotgun is not a teddy bear or blanky so let's try to can the baby talk.

TFL's automatically censor certain vulgarities with asterisks. If only they did the same with "*******". Do I have a second to the motion?
Old September 17, 2013, 02:07 AM   #2
Theohazard

Amen, brother!
Old September 17, 2013, 02:13 AM   #3
TxGun

Agree it sounds silly. Baby talk is a good description.
Old September 17, 2013, 03:33 AM   #4
thedudeabides

I'm partial to "scattergun."
Old September 17, 2013, 05:12 AM   #5
Willie Lowman

Shoddy.
Old September 17, 2013, 05:37 AM   #6
Virginian

I think many think it makes them sound like they are well versed when it comes to guns, but it does not, and it purely grates on my nerves. An L.C. Smith may be called an Elsie, but that's about my limit for cute nicknames.
Old September 17, 2013, 05:51 AM   #7
foxytwo

I don't think shotgun is too long of a word to use and it sounds a lot better than "shottie".
Old September 17, 2013, 07:12 AM   #8
jaguarxk120

Yes please censor the slang word S#*$%&# !!!!

There is no excuse for not using proper English, if you want to be a mall ninja then go find a site that caters to you.
Old September 17, 2013, 07:27 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

While I despise the use of the word "shottie" as well, the fact remains that it is in common usage as a nickname for the platform just like all the other nicknames that are used to commonly refer to guns. As for the shortened proper names, the sames hold as well.

You would have to get rid of wheel gun, smoke pole, boom stick, blaster, slabside, semi, scattergun, along with all the military nicknames like Ma Deuce as well.
Old September 17, 2013, 07:34 AM   #10
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
While I despise the use of the word "shottie" as well, the fact remains that it is in common usage as a nickname for the platform
No, it really doesn't - at least among those of us who took basic English in school. We don't say "pissie" for pistol, or "revo" for revolver or "riffy" for rifle...................

There's nothing that makes us look more immature to those from the anti sides who lurk on boards like these than to sound like you are some 9 year old playing COD
Old September 17, 2013, 07:56 AM   #11
SoilworK777

Quote:
"pissie" for pistol
Good point & hilarious.
Old September 17, 2013, 08:32 AM   #12
NoSecondBest

I vote to get rid of all the "baby talk" names for guns. It sounds illiterate, childish, moronic, stupid,....need I go on?
Old September 17, 2013, 09:01 AM   #13
shortwave

While I agree for the most part, we need to also keep in mind that many that post the word 'shottie' in their posts here on TFL are new to the sport and new to TFL and are usually very quickly educated on the dislike of the slang term by other, more seasoned members. Sometimes in an almost rude way. Then the 'piling on' usually starts by more members and continues long after the point has been clearly made by the first ten posts.

What a great welcome to TFL, eh?

I think we need to educate the less seasoned members/shotgunners but be careful not to offend them as we do it. Learning is much more enjoyable that way...and none of us came into this world knowing what we know today. Somebody taught us and most likely in a tactful way.

Last edited by shortwave; September 17, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old September 17, 2013, 09:21 AM   #14
Coach Z

Yes but no

I agree that it's a LITTLE distracting to read that but you guys are all up in a tizzy for nothing. If you don't like it don't click the thread. It too will pass.

As for those of you who believe censoring the word is a good idea do you think then we should also censor the AR platform being called a "black" rifle because it may offend some? Grease gun might bother some...... etc. etc.
Old September 17, 2013, 09:38 AM   #15
Fishbed77

I thought it was "shotty" with a "Y".

I will continue to use the term for video-game shotguns. I have never used it with real ones.
Old September 17, 2013, 09:48 AM   #16
MRYANJ99

I'll agree that it's a little annoying to hear a shotgun referred to as a "shottie". But I still find it perfectly acceptable to use when calling dibs on the front seat.
Old September 17, 2013, 10:19 AM   #17
overkill0084

Concur.

Whenever I see people use the cutsy slang terms, I always picture some 14 yo wannabe trying way too hard to sound cool & clever. I put it the same category as "Branjolina" or "Ben-jen" or other useless pop culture bastardization of the English language.
It's not as though "shottie" is a huge step forward over "shotgun." Same 2 syllables, only one sounds lame.

Quote:
We don't say "pissie" for pistol, or "revo" for revolver or "riffy" for rifle...................
Love it.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old September 17, 2013, 10:26 AM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

Take a pilly and chilly.

Now where's my boomstick?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 17, 2013, 10:46 AM   #19
shortwave

Quote:
Now where's my boomstick?
Prolly in the same place my hammer guns and rock crusher's('flinter's', for those that don't know) are at.
Old September 17, 2013, 10:52 AM   #20
Broker

Ranks up there with "veggie"! It's not cute, & the English language is confusing enough as it is!
Old September 17, 2013, 11:03 AM   #21
NoSecondBest

Is "prolly" a word? See it a lot, but it's not in an English language dictionary. Is everyone just too lazy to type the whole word or are these "words" actually being used in the English language? I'm guessing "prolly" equates to "probably"?
Old September 17, 2013, 11:44 AM   #22
USMCGrunt

I despise the whole "shootie" thing. However, if you want to use that slang in any conversation with me, that's your right to do so. Then again, it's also my right to consider you a rank amateur who's experience is limited to video games so don't gripe when you get talked down to like the tool you are aspiring to be!
Old September 17, 2013, 12:17 PM   #23
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
No, it really doesn't - at least among those of us who took basic English in school. We don't say "pissie" for pistol, or "revo" for revolver or "riffy" for rifle...................

There's nothing that makes us look more immature to those from the anti sides who lurk on boards like these than to sound like you are some 9 year old playing COD
So now we have the paranoid fear to the unknown and mysterious anti lurkers and how we might appear to them based on use of "shottie" and other such terms?

If instruction in basic English is the crux of your argument, then please school us on where in basic English it is said that the use of nicknames or monikers must be avoided won't you. The only such rules that come to mind are those that refer to formal dialogue, but only then when such names have not become conventional. I don't believe TFL requires such high falutin dialogue.

However, I have noticed from some of your posts that while you don't like shottie, you are perfectly fine with shortening the word picture to "pic."
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532706

Or referring to water moccasins as "water mocs" and alligators as "gators."
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...57#post5633657

Double standard?
Old September 17, 2013, 12:20 PM   #24
TopMCITWS

shottie = fingernails on chalk board
Old September 17, 2013, 12:21 PM   #25
Louca

Quote:
Is "prolly" a word? See it a lot, but it's not in an English language dictionary. Is everyone just too lazy to type the whole word or are these "words" actually being used in the English language?
Oh, don't get me going on proper grammar. Yes, people are lazy. As one who writes, I cringe every time I see "prollie", "shottie", and even "to" instead of "too". (Thank you for properly using "too" above, by the way). But I understand they are not a big deal to others.

Quote:
we need to also keep in mind that many that post the word 'shottie' in their posts here on TFL are new to the sport and new to TFL and are usually very quickly educated on the dislike of the slang term by other, more seasoned members. Sometimes in an almost rude way. ... I think we need to educate the less seasoned members/shotgunners but be careful not to offend them as we do it.
OK, here is another way we sort of offend ones new to the sport. Acronyms. I mean it's fine if there is a secret decoder ring or a list somewhere they can use to figure out what someone is saying. Although I have been shooting for over 30 years, it took me an hour to find out what DOH meant with respect to holsters, since I am new to buying them. And another time, it took a long time to find out what EDC meant. But now I am so smart about what they mean, I just use them freely here.

Quote:
I think many think it makes them sound like they are well versed when it comes to guns, but it does not, and it purely grates on my nerves.
Agree.

Lou
Closed Thread