The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 22, 2012, 01:36 PM   #76
peacefulgary

Quote:
It depends...

.357 magnum Ruger GP100 in the kitchen.
.45 auto XD in the bedroom.

Old September 22, 2012, 05:23 PM   #77
Yankee Traveler

Because I hit what I point at, and I hit exactly what I aim at.
Old September 23, 2012, 05:14 PM   #78
rightside

Gaz-in-NZ,
I don't think you understand the mind set here in The US. We don't have them all over out of fear. We have them because our 2nd amendment says we can and we would rather be safe than sorry. Plus,we just plain love 'em! As to what are we afraid of ? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! Would you be afraid of anything if you had a weapon at hand all the time.
Old September 25, 2012, 09:33 AM   #79
Southern Shooter

Home Defense and Personal Defense

Home Defense:
I have one .357 Magnum revolver in a holster that is attached to the headboard of my bed and another .357 Magnum revolver concealed on a bookshelf at the front of the house. Both are easily accessible, neither require much thought of maintenance, and they are simple understand and use. If there is a bad round, heaven forbid if that were to ever happen, just squeeze the trigger, again. No tapping or racking.

Personal Defense:
Because they are slim and lite, I carry a Kel-tec P-3AT .380 ACP and a Ruger LC9 9mm. Because I make visual contact with them on a regular basis it is easy to remember to perform maintenance check-ups and cleanings on them.
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; September 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old September 25, 2012, 09:44 AM   #80
IvIUSI-I

Get both, 2 heads are better than one. I keep a XD9/ranger ts with a spare mag handy alongside a S&W10 snub/gd
Old September 25, 2012, 12:12 PM   #81
peacefulgary

Quote:
If there is a bad round, heaven forbid if that were to ever happen, just squeeze the trigger, again. No tapping or racking.
Yes and no...

If you have a dud round or a hard primer, then yes, just squeeze the trigger again.

But if you have a squib round that gets stuck in the barrel, then squeezing the trigger again will get you a big KABOOM!
Old September 25, 2012, 08:45 PM   #82
Southern Shooter

Squib

True...I will grant you that. Guess I was thinking in the event of no fire at all...yes, hard primer or dud round.
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old September 26, 2012, 12:48 PM   #83
sl954

I currently use a revolver, but am thinking of changing to an auto.
Old September 27, 2012, 04:49 PM   #84
windshear

Gaz, short reply: Better to have guns available and not need 'em than to need 'em and not have 'em.

Most here will never have to resort to their HD arms....which is what we all hope for.
Old September 28, 2012, 02:48 AM   #85
biohazurd

I use both. I have a M&p 9, Colt 1991, and a Ruger gp100 6" BBL, all within 3-4 feet of my bed. But if i had to choose i would say semi auto because of ammo capacity.But I love and respect both platforms as extremely effective sd tools in the hands of an experienced shooter.