The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Flapjack23

Nosler Accubond

So by popular demand, here it is.

For a while I was using factory Nosler ballistic tips in my .300 Win Mag for deer hunting. A couple of problems and decided to switch to something else. Ended up at Nosler Accubond. 1 box factory ammo and I think I'm sold. They seem to have the penetration I want.

I've begun working up loads for my .300 Win Mag. and .375 H&H (If you read me 1st thread, you know I dont have a use for .375, but its cool anyways). .300 gets 180 gr and .375 gets 260 gr. The .300 are very long and seated deep in the case. I'm thinking I'll may extend the overall length (provided they work in my rifle). The .375 had crimp groove, so its pretty well set on length.

Anyone else load these bullets for hunting. Hows accuracy and are they easy to load. I only shoot 100-150 yards, so I may not see the full potential for their accuracy, but I hope to build a 300 yard range on my property someday (I suffer from fundsalow).

Interested to hear your experiences with these both pro and con.

Andy
Old January 15, 2009, 12:14 PM   #2
thekyrifleman

I also used Nosler BT in 7mm. Got a 280 and tried some of the Federal factory 139gr and did not like their performance, so I loaded the Accubonds, 140 grain. Great penetration as well as expansion in the 280 Last deer was at a lazered 265 yards, total penetration, exit hole you could drop a quarter through.
Old January 15, 2009, 05:12 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

My uncle used handloaded Accubonds on a trip to Africa a few years ago. He found them to be quite accurate out of his .375 H&H.

However, terminal performance was not what he expected. Whether they were used on light-skinned game or thick-skinned game; they penetrated very well, with zero expansion. I think they were able to recover 3 bullets from 7-8 animals. All three had hit bone, and bent the tip. No expansion. None. They just bent over sideways, and went way off course inside the animal.

Your experience may vary, but after seeing those recovered bullets and the lack of damage on animals with perfect through-and-throughs.... I'll give my money to Nosler for a Partition, or to Barnes for a TSX. (Winchester gets a negative score for discontinuing the Fail Safe.)
Old January 16, 2009, 11:29 PM   #4
jckeffer

I've been reloading the Accubond for my 30.06 for over a year, also switched from the ballistic tip. I've yet to see the effect on game but the accuracy is so close to to the ballistic tip that the difference I see is probably my ability to shoot. My A-bolt shoots Accupoints to 1 MOA or less (depending on what kind of day I'm having).
Old January 17, 2009, 12:13 AM   #5
hardhit

Iv use 110 accubonds in my 257 wby; One day I busted a pig at 90 yards in an open Paddock at the shot, The old bore fell over sideways trotting on air & on his way to piggy heaven .

Also IV use 165-grain accubonds in my 308 and they whistle strait through every animal IV shot but the result is emphatic 90% bang whop flop.
Old January 17, 2009, 12:25 AM   #6
Shoney

I use the 200 grainers in my 300WM. I find they are much more accurate at long distance and do not leave the hydrostatic shock that wastes so much meat when using 180's at ditances under 300 yards.

I love my 375H&H for prarie poodle hunting during their mating season. You never know when an enraged rutting bull prairie poodle will charge you. The thought of such a charge makes seasoned guides week in the knees.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 17, 2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Flapjack23

I've got a few loads for both guns made up and hope I can get to my in-laws soon and start testing them. It's 11F and wind's at 25 MPH so I wont be out anytime soon for anything.

I'm going to try the .375 on deer this year (way overkill) but dead is dead. Hope they are as accurate as I can shoot.
Old January 17, 2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Shoney

When you shoot a 375 from the bench, you can develop loose fillings and a severe flinch if you are not careful. Be sure to elevate the rest, to a point that is comfortable, with your back as close to verticle as possible. Keep away from the scope. Ask me how I know!

I've worked up loads for a few 375's over the years, and all would shoot an inch or less groups at 100 yards, as long as I didn't flinch. I found it useful to repeat the montra, "This is gonna hurt, squeeeeeeze. This is gonna hurt..." over and over until the shot surprises me.

When you swich to standing shots, the recoil isn't that bad.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 17, 2009, 09:09 PM   #9
whiplash

I use the 200gr Accubond in my .300Win, and it works really good. Dont quote me on it,(as I am away from my records), but I think I have 72/74grs RL-22. Its for a Ruger #1, so the OAL is a lot farther out than bolt guns...