The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 16, 2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Kartman

Hammer angle on Pietta Remington

I purchased a Pietta Remington from Cabelas last fall and have fired three cylinders through it. Have not made it out the range yet but I did notice the caps really blow apart and one jammed in the cylinder. I read somewhere there might be an issue with the angle between the hammer and the nipple. Visually it looks like the hammer is not striking the nipple "flat". Could this be causing the caps to blow apart or is this normal for the revolver?
Thanks for helping a newbie on this forum.

Tom
Old February 16, 2006, 02:15 PM   #2
Missoura Don

Hey Tom...im no expert here, but there are a few here who are and can give ya sound advice on this...but ya might wanna try switchin brands and sizes on yer caps..
Old February 16, 2006, 06:29 PM   #3
Steve499

I had the same trouble with mine, Tom. I didn't notice any problems necessarily with the fired caps but after a few hundred rounds I had to replace the nipples. The hammer was only striking the top edge of the nipple which caused the nipples to become peened over on the top. I worked the hammer face down until it was bearing evenly all around the circumference of the new nipple, then removed a little more metal so the hammer just reaches the uncapped nipple to reduce the battering. I had a soft hammer anyway so I hardened it after the modification and it's doing o.k. so far.

Steve
Old February 17, 2006, 09:00 AM   #4
Kartman

Thanks for your replies Don and Steve. Don, I'm using Remington #10 caps and they fit quit snugly. I don't think there is a problem with that.
Steve I think you had exactly the same problem I have. How did you harden the hammer after you cut it to hit flat on the nipple?

Tom
Old February 17, 2006, 09:34 AM   #5
Steve499

I heated it to cherry red and dropped it into clean motor oil.

I had another problem which yours may develop also. Due to being soft, the cam on the hammer was apparently softer than the bolt legs it engages and was wearing badly. There was burring which made cocking the hammer feel gritty and rough. I cleaned that up before I hardened it and although it is worn, it still functions reliably. A new hammer may be in the cards but I'm reluctant to switch out the one I have fitted correctly as long as it's working.

Steve