The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2009, 07:45 PM   #1
rhodco

Shouldn't the 11-87 cycle by hand?

I just bought a Remington 11-87 Police 12ga and was wondering: Shouldn't I be able to load it with shells (safety on) and cycle through the shells by manipulating the action by hand?

I can do this manually with all my semi-auto pistols fine, but when I try this with 2 3/4" shells in the shotgun, it ejects the shell fine and the next shell from the magazine tube loads into the carrier, but the carrier will not flip upward. If I flip it upward by hand I can guide it into the chamber as I release the bolt... yank the bolt back open and eject it... but the next shell just sits there in the carrier. If I release the bolt it just stays locked in the open position as if it were empty - but it's not.

Am I missing something here? Please advise if you've been able to do this successfully with your 11-87.

Thank you for your time.
Old September 17, 2009, 08:28 PM   #2
rantingredneck

Your 11-87 is functioning normally. Don't ask me to 'splain it in great detail with part numbers and names and such, but when your hammer is cocked the bolt locks back when pulled open. When the hammer is forward (like when you've just fired it) it cycles back and chambers another round like any normal semi auto firearm action.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 17, 2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Maromero

If I release the bolt it just stays locked in the open position as if it were empty - but it's not.

Everything sounded normal exept the quote. What do you mean? If you release the bolt it stays locked in the open position?
Old September 17, 2009, 09:21 PM   #4
rhodco

I mean that when I let go it remains locked in the open-bolt position. Is there a mechanism activated by the trigger that releases this in real action? That would explain why I can't simulate it by cycling the bolt by hand with the safety on.
Old September 17, 2009, 09:46 PM   #5
Maromero

Under the shotgun there is the feeder and the bolt release. If you press the release and the bolt won't close try the following. Grab the bolt with one hand and with the other insert your finger into the triger housing. I side and just above the feeder and bolt release there is a lever. Push it back and it should do a click. Engage the bolt release again and it should work.

Last edited by Maromero; September 17, 2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old September 17, 2009, 09:51 PM   #6
GeauxTide

The bolt release is the chrome rectangular button on the underside of the shell carrier. It doesn't operate like a pump. In order for the SC to function, it must be released. AKA known as safe unloading.
Old September 18, 2009, 01:52 PM   #7
rantingredneck

As I said earlier, this is a normally functioning 11-87 here. When the hammer is cocked you must activate the bolt release to close the action.

Try this.....

1) Unload your gun completely
2) verify unloaded
3) point in safe direction and dryfire
4) hand cycle the action

It will then cycle without having to hit the bolt release.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 18, 2009, 02:19 PM   #8
KCabbage

I have a 1100, but your 11-87 should work the same. Also, i've switched my loading gate to a Dave's easyloader so i'm not for sure if this will apply to you, but since the easyloader replaces the loading gate button it shouldn't matter.

I was once confused by this too. Basically, the action can be repeatedly cycled without locking or you can lock it back. When you pull the bolt back the shell being fed hits a switch inside the receiver that unlocks the bolt allowing the round to load. However, if you pull the bolt back and hold it back for a moment you can lock the bolt back with the round not yet chambered. It can be tricky, but it can be done. Just keep trying it until you figure it out, but please for your own sake keep your finger off the trigger or better yet keep the safety on.
So to unload the magazine tube just keep cocking without pause.
Old September 22, 2009, 12:25 PM   #9
nutty ned

I've seen 11-87's hang up as you said and seen them work as you want it to.
You may not be pulling hard and fast enough on the bolt handle and or releasing the handle fast enough.
If not lubed enough your problem can occur.
Does it shoot as expected?