The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2000, 09:28 PM   #1
bergie

After a bit of experimenting with a couple of different powders, bullets, seating depths, etc. I finally came up with a load that really performs in my Savage. This has always been an accurate rifle that got "decent" groups with just about anything I put in it, but now I am really finding out what it can do. I was able to shoot a couple 3 shot groups with the holes touching, and capped it off by putting 7 of my last 8 into less than an inch, all 8 into 1 1/4". I use the 100 yd sight-in targets that have the 5 bulls with an inch grid throughout the target. With 20 rounds, I fired a 3 shot group at each of the corner bulls, walked down and checked each of them in between, then put the rest of the box into the center bull in two 4 shot groups with a couple of minute wait in between, one big hole, with another hole right beside it. This was shot off a homemade rest (no bags) I rigged up on a sawhorse - off of a good bench and bags, I think it would be scary.
56.5 gr. of H4831SC pushing a 140 gr. Nosler BT seated right out to 3.340", Federal brass fired one time in my rifle, neck sized with a Lee collet die, and Winchester primers. The rifle is my 9 year old Savage 110, synthetic stock, topped with a Sightron SII 3-9X42. (If you are looking for a new scope, check this company out, I really like mine)
Only problem is, now I need to go out and buy some more bullets and powder, I used up all that I had experimenting.
bergie
Old October 10, 2000, 05:39 AM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. Sounds like you got it! That's much of the fun of reloading for me, personally.
Also, the Savage bolt-actions are underrated in my experience. Most have been capable of MOA accuracy. Best.
Old October 10, 2000, 05:51 AM   #3
MADISON

Back in the '70's I hunted deer with a 270 in a Remmington 700 ADL. The load is hot by today's standards. The load was: 58.0 grains of H-4831.

I got a little over 1/2 inch in the 130 and 150 grain bullets.
Old October 10, 2000, 05:45 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Today's variants of 4831 burn a bit faster than "the good old days", from what I have read. Way back yonder, the easiest way to load 4831 in a .270 with a 130-grain bullet was to just fill up the case, level it off, and seat the bullet. Worked fine in my Sear's & Sawbuck bolt-action.

One sign of too much pressure is groups opening up, in an erratic manner. As a broad generalization, tight groups mean you're not over the limit.

, Art
Old October 10, 2000, 08:50 PM   #5
rr41mag

that wait in between shots is hell ain't it! good job dude!

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!
Old October 11, 2000, 10:31 PM   #6
bergie

The wait aint too bad, when you consider that every 3 shots I was walking the 100yds out to check groups, and back, and I've tested about 600 rounds, that makes about 200 trips for around 40,000 yds (that's about 22 miles) I've walked just to check things out. This reloading sure is good exercise.
bergie

[This message has been edited by bergie (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old October 13, 2000, 09:43 PM   #7
bergie

Now I'm really bummed out. I checked at the 3 places in the nearest bigger town that carry reloading supplies and no bullets.
Only one of the 3 even carries the 140 gr. BTs and they were out, the other 2 only carry the 130. I couldn't get quite as good groups with the 130's. So now I have to "mail-order" some, or go with the 130s and do some more experimenting.
bergie