The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2009, 02:19 PM   #1
awaveritt

Snubby loads

I'm about to purchase either Unique or Bullseye to use in developing a snubby load for my S&W bodyguard. This will be an all-purpose (mostly practice/plinking) load using hard cast 158gr. SWC at standard pressures. Since Bullseye is slightly faster, would this be a more efficient powder to use than Unique for use in short barrels?
Old January 4, 2009, 02:48 PM   #2
joneb

I prefer Bullseye it burns cleaner and meters better for me.
Old January 4, 2009, 11:43 PM   #3
Snobal

awaveritt -

Unique has been my favorite powder for .38 Special since the 1960's --- but Bullseye seems more consistent and cleaner burning in my S&W 638.

Shooting 10- and 15-shot groups, I have had equal "best" results with both powders, but Bullseye is far more consistent in my 638 --- while my old K-38 could care less which of the two powders I use.

Having said that, I must confess that I have not set up the chronograph to check the shot-to-shot variation between the Unique and Bullseye loads that group the best for me in the 638 --- I simply like Bullseye better for light loads in this little gun.

Tags
bullseye , snub-nosed loads , unique